Awash Falls Lodge
$65
Jumia Travel
  • Bar/Lounge
Doho Lodge & Hot Springs(Awash National Park)
  • Breakfast included
Jumia Travel
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe riverawash fallsnational parkcoffee ceremonydik dikethiopian coffeelesser kuduhot springslovely locationearly morningwild animalsper personcamp firewater buckrunning waterceiling fannice restaurant
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Staying at the Lodge was a means to an end, as it allowed us to get an early start the next morning to drive through the park. Our hut was adequate for a one night stay, meals were very nice. Listening to the roar of the waterfall all night made a nice change to listening to the bush noises. A highlight was talking to Teyba, the traditional coffee preparer. The wandering ostriches is a nice touch for the tourist.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HelenRose
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We stayed here two separate non-sequential nights. The experience was basically the same with slight differences in the attitude of some of the staff (the second time a little more friendly- but you have to realize that guests at this hotel are not the main point, they just provide opportunities for the staff to socialize with each other).
The location is lovely and there are plenty of places to sit and enjoy the scenery.
Rooms were basic. Warmish water if you were lucky- the first one to take a shower is luckier….- virtually no pressure so if you have any kind of hair besides a crew-cut or thinning hair you will have a hard time rinsing it out. The light is so bad inside during the day that I had a hard time reading the # on my padlock and, of course, my flashlight was inside the padlocked suitcase. At night also very little light. Lots of mosquitoes so you will definitely need the mosquito nets.
Order dinner as soon as you arrive. If you are lucky you will get what you ordered with "reasonable" promptness when you arrive at the appointed time. One night we did and the second night we didn't because apparently they could make roasted chicken but not grilled chicken (some kind of power problem). Same thing with breakfast: you order the night before but you may or may not get what you ordered (like a plain omelet instead of an omelet with onions and peppers). The manager walks around at breakfast to ask if you are satisfied but the attitude he projects is that he wants to hear if you are satisfied and not if you are not so I didn't bother complaining.
This is the only place in Ethiopia where I had something stolen- a silver necklace. It wasn't terribly valuable and I'd had it for a long time so not the end of the world (or I wouldn't have brought it along). I mentioned it at the desk when I left after our first stay. They couldn't have been less interested, and on my return, of course, nothing…. I hope the maid enjoys it and her very religious Orthodox conscience doesn't torture her too much….. Since the clasp didn't work well and she didn't think to steal the safety pin that was right next to it, she probably won't have it long.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Francoise1948
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Awash Falls Lodge is the place where I come back again and again. I have just back for another very good weeekend. There is a very good atmosphere in the lodge and a very high standard of service. This time I participated in a Trekking and tour to the hyena cave organized by the lodge. The guide is very good to spot the animals. During the weekend I saw many animals including lessor kudo, oryx, dik-dik, warthog, jackal, hyenas, crocodiles and a lot of monkeys and birds.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I went to Awash Falls Lodge a few weeks ago and had an amazing time! The rooms are clean and ours was right by the falls. There are PLENTY of activities to do.We went on a small hike and saw so many bird species, monkeys, and antelopes. There are Ostriches that roam around the lodge and are very friendly too. We did a game drive and when the sun was setting went to spot some Hyenas as they emerge from their dens. If you want an adventure, go to the Hyena caves! The french toast with a glass of mango juice is a must have. It is very warm and there are mosquitoes so come prepared.Overall, wonderful place to stay.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 1, 2014

The lodge consists of several "duplex" cabins with zero privacy - you can hear every word - and bathroom sound - from the adjacent room. Also, the water supply is shared so you need to call out to the other room to coordinate showers as the water simply stops if both try to use it. Even then the pressure, so to speak, is negligible. Room itself was fine with good mosquito nets. We had a problem our first night at the on-site restaurant when we arrived before several large groups yet were only served after they had already left! And even then it was undercooked as they rushed it out. It was served so late they had to extend the normal 10PM power cut as we had not finished eating by then. This is because the groups had pre-ordered, so do the same if possible. When we did the second night, the food arrived within a reasonable time. Food choices are limited but again this is in the middle of the park. As noted, power available from 6 to 10PM only.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple