“Very good indeed” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Beccles
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Very good indeed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

Stayed here on several occasions on business an old house converted to a hotel on the river but close enough to the town and main road very enjoyable

Room Tip: The best room is the honeymoon suite but it is exra
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Dereham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

Having just visited for a family lunch, ages 85 to 15 months, I have to say the food was absolutely great! It was a very busy lunchtime, as can be expected in the school holidays ,with all the tables full, both inside and outside.The summer menu had something to suit all tastes the presentation beautiful, I can thoroughly recommend the seared Tuna steak....delicious.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

I have stayed at the Waveney Hotel twice and on both occasions I think it was overpriced . The room are clean (one has a sloping floor and a shower 3 foot up the wall), but thats about it. The receptionist is a bit hit and miss, meals are expensive, the few staff present that I dealt with were not very good, and the manager not much better. Service isn't very good, breakfast was farcical one morning, with initially lack of service which developed into slow and poor service.

It is in a nice setting but there are better hotels in the area which I now use. I wouldn't go back it isn't worth it.

Room Tip: View room before you accept your paying a decent price make sure you get a room that reflects this c...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank tony s
Thurgoland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

Odered food from the bar...... and waited. Place was busy, but no food after 40 mins so it was time to ask a waitress what was happening. We watched her go over to the manager, who looked concerned and disappeared into the kitchen.......

...... but didn't reappear. 5 mins passed and then nearly 10, but no sign of him or our food. Just about to demand refund when young lad appears with food, which he puts on the table in a perfectly reasonable way..... but says nothing.

"Er, weren't you told to say anything?" says I. "Oh. Er, do you want any sauces?", says he. Poor kid. He was only about 16, and it just wouldn't have been fair to take it out on him. I wonder how many people would have, though. Lamb to the slaughter, or what? Evidently, aforementioned manager wasn't paying attention when he did his 'how to look after your staff' training. I asked for him to be summoned.

You won't be surprised, dear reader, that we got a bumbling, mumbling apology of the sort that did little to impress. Clearly out of his depth, he proposed that he would come back once we had eaten out food.

Yes, we did eat it...... well, it was getting late and we were off to an event afterwards so had no time left to find somewhere else. I had battered haddock, which was not bad at all...... but it was huge, just like , many of the other meals we had seen brought out. But, the fish was so big (and the plate correspondingly small) that it was sat on top of what might have been nice chips, but which rapidly went soggy though being covered. The small bowl of salad was already limp for much the same reasons. I ended up leaving a lot of my meal. Most uncharacteristic.

Time to go.... we were late already. No sign of the manager.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank silverkiss
Northamptonshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

I called The Waveney midweek to try and book a table in the Restaurant for my family including my Godmother who is 91 but got the answer phone, so I left a message with my request and my telephone number for them to call me back. I called again the next day having received no return call and was advised that the Restaurant was now fully booked, but that it would be possible to eat in the bar restaurant.
Arriving at the Hotel we ordered drinks at the bar but were told that we could not put them on our tab but had to pay for them there and then. We sat down and looked at the menu which was offering 2 courses for £10 which comprised of a starter and a main. We all selected our preferences but my Godmother said she would rather have a pudding than a starter. We went to the bar to order but were told that this was not possible as puddings were not part of the deal. OK fair enough but we still had to pay £10 for the main course on its own. I have to say that the female bar Tender was uninterested in any form of welcome or customer service so did not create a good initial impression. We then had to pay for the meals (this was the second payment we had made at the bar) and select our cutlery wrapped in paper napkins from a side table. Things went from bad to worse as the service was the most dreadful I have ever experienced. The waitress constantly dropped cutlery and forgot to collect half the crockery once we had finished our meal. She also seemed completely uninterested in her job and the people she was serving. The food was very average although nicely presented but to be honest the irritation factor had already spoilt the meal for me. We then made a third journey to the bar to order puddings (again a seperate payment) My Aunt asked for some cream with her pudding as it looked a little dry and the waitress arrived with a thimble full of cream in a tiny container! Just astonishing! At no time were we asked if we needed anything else or if everything was alright so needless to say we did not leave a tip and I would never return to this venue even though my Aunt lives in Beccles and it is in a very handy and lovely location next to the River.
Such a shame as our lunch party was completely spoilt and I am considering callling the Manager to complain directly as I feel like I have been treated so badly.
Avoid it at all costs as there are btter places to go believe me!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank paulsmith5000
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2011

Stayed overnight at the Waveney House Hotel. Have to say the staff are really accommodating and friendly. We arrived early evening and had dinner in the bar area which has a really warm atmosphere. Im a fussy eater but there were plenty of options for me on the menu and the chef was happy to cook to my specifications.
Would not hesitate to return as we were made to feel really welcome.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
Beccles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2010

I have just been for a dinner date with my relations who have come from away.
We had drinks and dinner i found what i had was very nice the staff were very nice and helpful too and i would go there again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beccles
The Kings Head Hotel
#1 of 4 in Southwold
The Castle Inn
The Castle Inn
#1 of 1 in Bungay

Been to Waveney House Hotel? Share your experiences!