“Decent room, decent food and very cheap”

Island Tropic Hotel & Restaurant
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I have travelled through most of Asia and the Philippines and this is a decent quality B&B of you know this part of the world you know not to compare to European standards but compared to other places I have stayed I would definately recommend. We paid 1400 peso for the room, the food served was all very good local food and the beer was cheap and cold. Apart from the hundred islands not much to do in the area so not worth planning to stay more than 2 or 3 days.

• Stayed: December 2013
6  Thank NickOxford
There are newer reviews for Island Tropic Hotel & Restaurant

Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

On arrival we were welcomed by a friendly team of staff.

The room was very good, spacious and clean. Included air con/TV/bathroom/towels/big double bed. Slight mismatch of design and colours but I have noticed this in many hotels in the Philippines.

Great food- complementary breakfast was lovely and the dishes from the main menu were super tasty.

It was my birthday during my stay and the staff helped make it super special by helping my boyfriend source a bouquet of red roses and a gorgeous birthday cake.

We booked our boat tour through reception (1,400php - same price as tourist office). Great trip and the staff loaned us a cool box for the day. Snorkeling equipment wasn't great but saw some amazing giant clams in coral garden and had a birthday picnic on a tiny island.

Overall a great stay only irritation is WiFi only available in restaurant area but was fine and a good connection

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank UKtraveljunkie85
Reviewed October 19, 2013

At the onset, if you are looking for luxury, do not use this place. Expect a rough, old and low budget place. This is just a simple lodging, vey convenient if you plan to see the Hundred Islands National Park as it's located in Lucap Wharf.
The place offers basic amenities...rooms are very rustic and simple. It is somehow clean, including the bathroom. They give basic toiletries but you might want to bring your own. There's no hot water though. But I've learned afterwards that you can request for a room with one.
The room price includes breakfast, which is mostly Filipino food. They cook it as per order, so expect to wait for a bit. They also offer lunch and dinner. Price is reasonable. But don't expect fancy ones. It's like simple, home-cooked meals.
Staff are friendly, polite and accommodating. They can arrange for a boatman to take you island hopping. They charge Php1400 for the whole day. The boatman can take you to any of the islands and will wait for you and take you back. There's also an option whereby you pay only Php800 for day tour but they will only take you to say 3 main islands. You won't be able to explore the other islands which are less crowded.

Room Tip: Stayed in the 2nd floor or same floor as the restaurant
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Sam24112013
Reviewed April 17, 2013

The only positive feedback i have of this place was staff were friendly and tried to help when they can. The owner or manager should overhaul the place. Our room was falling to bits. Door to bathroom was broken, toilet sink leaking. Furnitures were dangerously wobbly. One of the electrical socket was perlously dangling. The bunkbed guardrails were so dangerous that they come off easilly; as we slept my nephew kicked it while asleep and the metal flew off and narrowly missed me. There was hardly any water in our room; seriously, all we got was trickle of water. The staff however allowed us to use caretaker's shower. Our worst complain was that guests were allowed to use karaoke in their rooms. I HATE karaoke. Manager said that guest are limited to 10pm use. But a group of about 15 people next door got drunk, were so noisy and refused to stop at ten. The noise went on til about 2am. I was livid. If I had known that karaoke was allowed there regardless of curfew; I would never have stayed here. Karaoke should be banned because many ignorant Filipinos who use it have no regard or respect to other people who wants peace and quiet. Needless to say I would never come back here nor recommend it. Hundred islands site itself is too busy and dirty. A far cry from the paradise of Coron.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank dragon2x
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I enjoined the good view from the restaurant upstairs.
Breakfast is too oily
And also bathroom was smell of drain pipe
What I made me disappointed most here, was that they naver cared of guest, not at all,
Eventhough we had to stay there five nights because my husband had flue and fever there.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kongtong
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My family and I stayed at this place last Dec 1, 2012. The reviews were good and the prices were reasonable so I booked the place. When we arrived, the "bus boy" was very accommodating and was eager to help us with our bags. Check in was no problem. The room was okay but really basic. The bathroom was a mess though. The drainage didn't work properly and it ended up flooding whenever someone would take a shower.

The walls are also really thin. I could hear our neighbors until the wee hours but what really pissed me off is the management's inconsideration of disturbing the guests' sleep. It was around 9 pm and it lasted until around 11 pm. It sounded like they were moving furniture and letting it bang on the floor as they were handling it carelessly. It was as if they were doing it on purpose. It was annoying and I couldn't sleep. The next morning a guest was also complaining about the noise but the management was unapologetic.

The breakfast was basic but it took them forever to prepare. When we were there, they were also housing some soldier guests and they were a lot. They prioritized their food to the point that the other guests were waiting for an hour for their food! I was already pissed and just left. My point is, they shouldn't take in that many guests if they cannot accommodate them all properly with good service.

The only consolation of this place is that it's already in front of the bay area so it's easy to ride the boat to go island hopping. The place is also priced higher than the neighboring transient homes so I suggest going there instead. Milagros Inn is cheaper and I think worth more. Go there instead.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I checked out all hotels there, and this one is the best and also the best value (although they have gone up in price recently). It is new and clean.

The interior is somewhat on the cheap side. There is no place to put your things in the bathroom.

But there is no question when going back to 100 Islands I will stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Nautilus Islands View Lodge
Nautilus Islands View Lodge
#1 of 15 in Alaminos City
Puerto Del Sol Beach Resort

Been to Island Tropic Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!