“Clean and Pleasant staff”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pagudpud
Tartaruga's Hotel and Pagudpud Yacht Club Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 34 Pagudpud B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 18, 2012

It was our first time in Pagudpod and although we were on a budget, we wanted a place to retire from the long walks and tricycle rides from the days' tours. Tartaruga's was absolutely wonderful. I booked via email and although it was a month away they assured me of a room since it off peak season. The hotel IMHO is one of the newest on the strip of hotels/ homestays/ inns in Saud. The staff was wonderful. They were very accommodating and attentiveand even though we were the only guests then they were on their toes whenever we'd arrive from the tour. It's an excellent B&B and was exactly what we needed for our R&R.

Room: Not spacious but enough to move around in. The bed was great. I'd be a asleep in 2 seconds. The sheets and the floor were very clean and didn't smell funky. Again, it looks new so that's a huge factor.

Toilet & shower: Clean and just enough space for doing your business. No bath tub but there's a separate shower with hot and cold water. Toiletries were available, as well as towels and hangers for your wet clothes. Water was steady although pressure varied.

Staff: super friendly and attentive. I loved how they always make sure we had everything we need even though we didn't need it.

Food: we found other people coming in just to eat so I guess they must serve one of the best. considering we were in a remote area the choices are pretty good. We had crabs and fish on one night, veggies and grilled pork on another. Tried whatever available dessert they had and of course their coffee! Give me good coffee and we're done talking. :D

Location: 2 mins walk to the wonderful beach of Saud. Reachable by trike from the town center. Perfect.

It's a great place to stay but mind you there are cheaper places although I doubt you'll get the same experience. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: there are only 7( i think ) rooms so book ahead. Oh and they have free wifi but cell signal is weak...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank alias34

Reviewed September 3, 2012

we stayed for 2 nights on Aug 14-16 and had fun although there was a storm while we were there. the staff are nice and accommodating. the food was great! we will definitely come back to this place next time we visit Pagudpud.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Couple_from_Cypress
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We were finally pushing through with a "northern exposure" road trip that was 2 years in the making. The twist was -- we were only doing the actual planning less than 12 hours prior to our departure. And three dudes planning a road trip doesn't really translate to a thorough planning exercise. We were pretty much winging it. And as far as Tartaruga was concerned, we just kept our fingers crossed.

I've had my fair share of travel. And in this particular category, Tartaruga turned out to be a winner. We really were gunning for a homestay rather than a hotel/resort since we were roughing it. Tartaruga nailed it. Going through the place when we first got there, I saw a couple of positive signs: 1) they had proper parking; 2) they had wi-fi; 3)the place was simple, yet functional -- had a wheelchair ramp and the doors & passageways were relatively wide -- and most importantly the whole place was clean; 4) the towels were arranged as swans; 5) the equipment was serious, particularly their fridge/freezer and espresso machine. I took these signs as "the owners know what they're doing".

We checked out the beach for a while and then called it a day after having a not-so-good experience at a hotel-whose-name-shall-not-be-mentioned. We headed back to Tartaruga and this is when the real fun began. We spent the rest of the day having drinks and great conversation -- and great food. Loved the sisig, the fish bites, the fried chicken. Would have been even better if the huli-huli chicken was available since I really wanted to re-live some of my childhood memories growing up in Hawaii (hmmm... maybe they could add malasadas to their menu!). What about the staff? Well, when the power went out, they immediately set up their generator; and they were amazingly prompt at refilling our ice bucket. And so the night ended pretty well.

Next day, we pushed off to Vigan, but not before having breakfast. After a good night's drinking spree, you tend to have a serious case of munchies (if you're a rockstar). I liked how their breakfast menu allows you to assemble a breakfast. I had coffee, pancakes, longganisa, bacon and an omelette. They know how to make their coffee -- even the foam was proper. And the pancakes were pretty darn good -- better than what they serve at that only-heaven-knows-why-its-so-popular place in katipunan.

Upon check-out, it was icing on the cake -- our bill was a bargain, considering how good the food, facilities and service were.

And so it was time to say goodbye to a place that we admittedly had doubts about initially, but were extremely glad to be proven wrong about. It was such a great stay that we unanimously decided to give the crew a token of appreciation, and made a promise that we would give them a well-deserved review in Tripadvisor (and believe me, I'm pretty lazy when it comes to this writing-a-review stuff). If we ever find ourselves in Pagudpud again, we definitely know where to stay.

Now you should too.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank ohbigwankenobi
Tartarugas, Owner at Tartaruga's Hotel and Pagudpud Yacht Club Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

On behalf of our staff we thankyou for the positive comments and sorry the huli-huli chicken was unavailable on the day. We do try very hard to offer high quality food and accomodation at a reasonable price which isnt an easy feat in relatively remote Pagudpud. We also now offer a variety of set breakfasts as well as build your own from the menu. We have a quality Italian espresso machine and all staff have trained as barista's, we also now serve some great Philippine coffee as well. We very much strive for being your home away from home and appreciate your visit very much and the staff are always inspired when they get such feedback

Reviewed August 6, 2012

We couldn't book at this hotel because there were 4 of us in the group and we wanted to stay in the same room. We decided to stay at a different hotel but we made sure we dined in this restaurant during our stay in Pagudpud! We crossed the dark and scary property of Saud Beach Resort to reach Tartaruga's resto and we were given a table right away as there weren't a lot of people at that time. The service was really good and our server (I forgot her name, sorry!) was patient enough despite the long time we took in discussing the menu.

We ordered...

1st day

Meatballs and Red Sauce with Penne - really really good! Everyone was trying to get a bite! The slice of white bread was just ordinary but it was not something to be disappointed about.

Chicken Curry- They say that it's an original Indian recipe but we didn't find anything special or different about it compared to the ones that our moms make. It was still good, though.

Grilled Salmon- huge and tasty!

Shrimps in Garlic and Chili sauce- the highlight of our dining experience in Pagudpud! The shrimps were on the small side but we would have paid more if they could do a bigger serving. If we go back to Pagudpud, this is definitely a dish that we would order! The sauce itself was something to smile about.

Fish and Chips- a bit of a letdown. The fish bites were not that tasty and the coating was a bit too much.

2nd day

Chicken Satay- smelled good in the kitchen but again, another letdown when tasted. The peanut sauce was not the best match for this and it tastes the same with the Chicken Curry we had the previous night.

Liempo with Honey Sauce- really good but we were all thinking that it would suit chicken better

Salt and Pepper Squid - excellent with beer, we guess. It's good with rice, too, but I am thinking they should provide a special sauce for this.

Bacon and Red Sauce Spaghetti- tastes almost the same as the one we had the previous night but still tastes great according to boyfie's sis and cousin

European Dark Choco Frappe- excellent! I wanted to ask for a second serving but I didn't... T_T

Would I go back? Absolutely! The shrimps in garlic and chili sauce is worth it and we have yet to try the famed Lechon Manok!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank jdanney

Many thanks for the feedback. Given bread is off the shelf and not economical to bake ourselves it's the best we can do in such a remote location, we would love to give real bread but sadly its near impossible. Regards the curry, we import quality hand ground Indian spices and cook to a recipe vetted by Indian friends and all we can say is lucky you that has a mom who can also make great curry. We also appreciate the feedback on the fish bites and have in fact reduced the batter to a thinner mix. I have to say we were so surprised at your comment about the chicken satay, as peanut sauce is almost standard in Malaysia and Thailand and most everywhere but given there is no curry in the satay sauce our chef and we the owners are perplexed as to how it could taste the same and have reviewed the whole recipe. Nevertheless to try and reach gourmet standards here in a resto offering relatively quick and affordable food isnt the easiest task, we have to travel 60 miles to the nearest supermarket and are unable to easily get the right ingredients without paying a premium on freight from Manila which pushes up the costs of course. We will strive to improve.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Though the hotel is not really located at the beach area, its just 2 minutes away from the location (by walking). Hotels and resorts here are a bit expensive, so if you are on a tighter budget, but loved to visit the Saud Beach, Tartaruga is the best place to stay. The place is really nice. Superb cleanliness as you can see on the pictures. Relaxing place to stay after a long day at the beach. Foods are sooooo yummy! :D Many of the restaurant customers are form other hotels, and we see them each time of the meal. Hahah! :D Staff are really nice and friendly. And they are sooooo accomodating! All with a perfect smile... <3

We loved our stay their... As a new couple, we had a great experience in this place during our honeymoon... Will be back there next year! :)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BepLopez
Reviewed June 30, 2012

For the two months before my trip, I was stressed about finding accommodations in Pagudpud. My mother and I are particularly finicky about clean bathrooms, and none of the reviews or photos of any accommodations looked promising. I finally narrowed it down to Tartaruga and Kapuluan Vista and selected Tartaruga primarily because it had zero bad reviews. And they certainly lived up to the high ratings! We had an absolutely exceptional 3-day vacation in Pagudpud.

The rooms are squeaky clean by Western standards and absolutely immaculate by Philippine standards. There are 7 rooms, each with only one bed. So large groups might need to look elsewhere (Saud Beach Resort across the street has large if dated rooms). Also, it is relatively laid-back and quiet so raucous partiers may need to look elsewhere as well. Each room also has a fridge, a small coffee table and 2 chairs, and a wardrobe. The whole building has tile flooring but it is surprisingly quiet. Two of the nights there were guests with infants, but I didn't hear anything during the night.

The bathroom was really clean. Others might find it small, but I'll take cleanliness over size any day. The shower has a tankless water heater. You can't take a scorching hot water shower, but it is enough to avoid an icy downpour first thing in the morning.
(You'd think, given my concerns, I would have posted a photo of the bathroom for your benefit. Sorry.)

The food was amazing! We had one lunch at Kapuluan Vista which was wonderful, but ended up eating all our other meals at Tartaruga. There is enough variety to have something different at each meal. But I ended up having longganisa every morning because it is the yummy Ilocos-style that I don't get to eat very often. Everything was delicious but my parents repeatedly stole from my plate the night I had the English-style Fish & Chips. The Ginger Soda that Jane carries in her luggage from Australia is a bit pricey as a result but very refreshing after a day at the beach. My parents enjoyed coffee from the espresso machine every morning and the Euro Dark Chocolate Shake is divine.

Although the hotel is not on the beach, it is a convenient one minute walk to the municipal entrance. They charge P50 but as long as you keep and show the receipt, it should be valid for the length of your stay. It was nice to be able to walk to and from the beach throughout the day. Due to the heat we mostly went out before 7AM and after 5PM and spent the rest of each day touring other sites or taking siesta.

Their website is www.pagudpud-ilocos.com and has a lot of information about things to do both in Pagudpud and the surrounding area.

Notes:
1. They have driver accomodations (not sure how many) for about P500. We brought our driver's son along and they were kind enough to let him stay at no additional charge.
2. Breakfast is not included in the rate, but I found the entire menu to be quite reasonable.
3. It is easy to get lost. From MacArthur Highway there are multiple entrances to the Saud Beach area. In the absence of Tartaruga signs, you can follow the signs to Saud Beach Resort which is just across the street. It was about 4 hours from Vigan (2.5 from Laoag City), so leave enough time to avoid arriving there in the dark.
4. If you are the type of traveler who tips (and I hope you are) I recommend giving Jane a lump sum at the end your stay. Every single member of her small staff is friendly and helpful. Because I was travelling with others, I found it easier to have her divvy it up at the end rather than trying to remember after each night or meal.

After almost 30 years of travelling to the Philippines, my stay at Tartaruga was the best ever (with Pearl Farm a distant second).

Thanks again to Jane (and Ian) and her wonderful staff.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same. Room number 5 may be the quietest since it is in the back corner, but t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank JaneOnTheRoad
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Who would've thought we'd find an authentic-tasting Kashmiri chicken curry in Pagudpud? But we did at this restaurant-boutique hotel.

We so love the food here that we ended up eating ALL our meals at Tartaruga's during our 3 days of stay in Pagudpud. The price of meals is reasonable. We spent an average of Php300-350 every meal (for 2 persons) and this cost already includes cold, fresh buko! For Php500, you'd already get 2 viands, 4 servings of rice (extra rice, yes please!) and buko juice.

We had our 5-month-old during our trip and the staff and the owner became instant nannies of our baby! They're so friendly and accommodating that every time we dine, the owner or any of the staff would get my baby so I could enjoy my meal.

We regret that we didn't stay in their boutique hotel which looks super comfy and clean. On our next visit to Pagudpud, we'd make it a point to stay at their hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank pinaytoindia

We all appreciate your positive feedback. We strive very hard to offer high quality and standards, a varied international menu, served at affordable prices (although running a resto so remotely is very challenging for ingreedients), as well as food to be hot and fast. We grow our own rice on our local rice paddies so glad you enjoyed it. The curry is slow cooked to an authentic Indian recipe that we have from Indian friends using specially imported and prepared spices. We look forward to wlecoming you again

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pagudpud
Java Hotel
Casa Victoria Beach Resort
Casa Victoria Beach Resort
#3 of 34 in Pagudpud
Palm Grove Saud Holiday Complex

Been to Tartaruga's Hotel and Pagudpud Yacht Club Restaurant? Share your experiences!