Hamersay House
Lochmaddy Hotel(North Uist)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmodern hotelone nightnautical themesteakouter hebridesmenu choiceslocal fishlangass lodgeeach eveningdining roomthe ground floorexcellent foodbase to explorefish and chipsgreat roomate herecould not have been more helpful
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The Tigh Dearg Hotel is now called the Hammersley Hotel which made it difficult to find! It has recently been refurbished and the bedrooms were nicely done. The food was also very good. BUT reception is utilitarian and underwhelming; we had to ask for a wifi code; and dinner was served rather late. A good choice for an overnight only.

1  Thank IsabelS650
Reviewed August 25, 2013

First time in North Uist and recommended this hotel to stay two nights. The hotel had just been taken over, but you wouldn't know it. The rooms were beautiful with the biggest bed we have ever slept on! They were very clean and comfortable with great views for the windows. The meals we had in the hotel(one dinner and two breakfasts)were very tasty and fulsome. The staff were excellent and made you feel welcome and at ease.
Great place to stay and highly recommended.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2013

A friend and I were stuck overnight in North Uist last week (without any overnight stuff at all) and found accommodation at the Hamersay House (formerly Tigh Dearg) Hotel. My room (5 which I notice has been criticised by a previous occupant) was faultless: quiet - there were people next door - clean, spacious, well appointed and with very high quality loo rolls (which always gets plus points from me). The evening meal was not cheap either in price or quality but as value for money it was excellent. The wine is reasonably priced and I think it is pretty much the same whether bought by the glass or the bottle. The breakfast was as good as it gets and the bacon (another of my indicators) was tender and cooked to perfection and completely free of the grease tell-tale of the slap-dash kitchen.

1  Thank Graham E
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Having stayed at this hotel on many occasions in the past we never think twice about booking a short break here. Unfortunately we did not get the standard of service we have come to expect. From the start the booking was incorrect leaving us having to find accommodation at the last minute in another hotel which is not always easy on the islands at this busy time. We only had one night instead of the three we had requested. We booked 2 doubles and got a double and a twin which is not the end of the world. We got a a cursory apology from the staff on arrival over the mix up over the booking. The hotel itself is clean and very comfortable and the food continues to be of a high standard. Unfortunately it was a very disturbed night with people out on the deck outside our window making a lot of noise and banging the door during the early hours of the morning. To cap it all there was a mix up with the bill with my friends being charged for our stay as well as their own and it was only when we caught up with them that we discovered the error. We had to call the hotel and spend part of our short break going back to Lochmaddy to sort the problem out. Incidentally the lady who paid before us also had multiple errors on her bill so it is by no means an isolated incident. Overall the service was friendly but I missed the warm, quietly spoken local hospitality of the Tigh Dearg. It was very expensive so all in all poor value for money and we will not be returning here.

1  Thank amandazaldua
Reviewed August 11, 2013

From entering the hotel you feel welcome as the staff are so friendly. Check in was efficient and I was shown to my room and asked if I had any specific requirements they should be aware of. Booked as a single occupancy room I was shown to a large double room which was bright, airy & cleaned to a high standard. Similarly the en-suite was immaculate. Both the dinner & breakfast were served in a bright welcoming restaurant with the service as you would expect in a 4star hotel. My only criticism is that the breakfast chef should be tutored on how to cook & serve the perfect poached egg. A partially cooked egg with wet white lying on the plate in water is not appetising - the egg should be firm, particularly the white, with the egg dried on a piece of kitchen paper prior to being placed on the plate AND without the use of vinegar in the cooking process produces & presents the perfect poached egg. My son-in-law is a master chef and always, as a test, asks a young chef to poach an egg which he considers a good test of the chef's abiltiies.

Room Tip: Consider this establishment ahead of its new owner Langass Lodge as without any doubt it is superior offering a true Hebridean welcome
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo