“Great hotel, wonderful views, lovely hosts.”
Review of Temple View Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in North Uist
Temple View Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in North Uist
Reviewed August 28, 2010

I stayed here for four nights during a summer of travelling on business and this was the best hotel yet - it knocks spots of the major chains. The food was lovely and the breakfasts especially good. My room was large, clean and really comfortable with stunning views towards the Temple. The hotel is really well situated for Benbecula, Grimsay, North Uist and Berneray and has a welcoming atmosphere, especially for the solo traveller. Harvey and June run the hotel really well and work exceptionally hard to make your stay a pleasant one.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed August 20, 2010

A local lady tried to put us off going to this establishment, but go we did. There was a local wedding on the evening we chose to go, and as is the custom, virtually the whole staff had got the night off. Whilst the 'skeleton crew' did their best - a lovely couple of ladies - just everything went wrong. There were drinks spilled, courses coming at intervals without veg, inedible puds,etc. We were there for over two hours to get two 'middling' courses. There were positives! We met a super couple and talked for ages. It made our night.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Stayed for 5 nights during early July 2010. Temple View is well located and a great base for exploring North Uist, Benbecula and South Uist. We had our teenage daughter with us so had a familiy room (1 x DB + 1 x SB) and it was very clean, comfortable and adequate for our needs. Harvey and June, the owners and hosts, could not have been more helpful and welcoming and the young staff were efficient and pleasant at all times. There is good accommodation for relaxation in the conservatory and TV lounge as well as the snug bar which is well stocked. All these enable good conversaton with other guests. Finally, we have to mention the food. Breakfast in the morning was excellent and on the 2 occasions we dined in the evening we weren't disappointed - ample portions and cooked to perfection. Seafood is especially good. Book for Dinner in advance if you can though - demand can be quite unpredictable from "passing trade". Overall - a good choice for our Hebridean trip.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed July 9, 2010

I'm still a bit gobsmacked by the way I was treated by the owner (?) of this establishment. On arrival I was told that meals were really only for residents (despite menus being displayed on the outside of the hotel). I was then subjected to a rant about how busy she was, I let her know that I was in no rush and was snapped at with the response; 'well I am!'. She insisted I order straight away and when I asked about using their wi-fi I was given a lecture about how it was really only for residents but she she supposed I could use it provided I didnt download anything inappropriate! I'm not entirely sure what she expected me to be up to!!

My food was dumped on the table with no ceremony and I had to endure a constant background whine as she complained bitterly to every table she served about how busy she was and how she really couldn't cope. For the record it wasn't that busy, I worked in hotel and catering for many years and managed far more than that on my own. She would have had plenty of time to get the orders in if she actually stopped complaining.

The food was lovely, the fish and chips was faultless - in fact it was some of the best I've had. I fed this back to her in the hope that it would elicit a smile but all I got was a surly grunt that would have made a teenager proud.

Even paying for the meal was hard work. I asked for a reciept and had to follow her through to a seperate room where she proceeded to huff and puff about having to hand write a receipt. I thanked her again which got no acknowledgement. At this point I gave up and went to my B&B to watch the football . I would have gone elsewhere but the nearest place would have been in Lochmaddy but I was that tired I didn't fancy driving on to a different venue.

In fairness the hotel/restaurant was well presented and the food was great. It just goes to show what a difference good service can make.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank Leodhasach
Reviewed June 20, 2010

The Temple View Hotel is located right along the main road and the extreme south end of North Uist. It is a very pleasant place. There is a small pub, a sitting lounge, a bright and cozy enclosed porch and a rather formal dining room. We stopped in the late afternoon for tea and found the porch to be very pleasant. We decided to return for dinner in the restaurant, which is open to the public. We arrived a bit early and were offered seating on the porch or the lounge. We sat on the porch and ordered wine (which then followed up to the table in the dining room).

Tables are rather close together, but this is not a serious problem. If you like to chat with fellow travelers this makes such conversation quite convenient. We selected from some of the dinner options and chose as a main course the local freshly caught scallops with boiled potatoes, carrots, peas, broccoli. They (four of them) were lightly cooked and very tender. If you like your scallops well done, you will have to ask for that. For a first course we had a fabulous smoked salmon with tiny shrimp, langoustines and salad. That was so good that at the time we thought we simply should have two of those. At the end of dinner we retired to the porch for coffee.

This was a very pleasant experience, one of the best in our travels in the Western Isles. Langass Lodge has what we believe to be an even better restaurant (see our review of the Langass Lodge).

Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BobHLeverett
Reviewed September 20, 2009

excellent rooms so clean,modern and spacious.was short staffed while i was there and owner full of apologies.all staff including young waitresses couldn't be nicer.food is excellent as are prices.did have to wait rather long for service on first night but freindliness and food more than made up for this.couldn't recommend this little treasure highly enough!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 10, 2009

We arrived here the night before we were due to get married (on Benbecula) and were rather pleased with our choice of accommodation. The hotel was spotlessly clean, we had a friendly helpful host, our family sized room was very spacious and views were fantastic, however it all started to go wrong when we went downstairs for dinner. The waiting staff made no acknowledgment of our arrival and we were left to ask what to do about ordering drinks and food. We had to ask what the specials were, which were different to what was advertised on the specials menu. We were told everything was available on the menu, but upon ordering we were told that our choices weren't available, nor was the wine that we selected. The starters were missing their advertised side salad, vegetables were either undercooked or overcooked. The trout was over cooked, dry and wasn't seasoned. Again there was no acknowledgment from the waiting staff as we left. Throughout the meal they continued to giggle and whisper amongst themselves, and we overheard one of them talking to a group of locals in a derogatory manner about the owner/manager. All in all it was a very uncomfortable dining experience.

We ate cake from the plates in the room, which weren't cleaned or replaced. Similarly a bed sheet was not replaced, or toilet rolls replenished.

It's a real shame as this place looks lovely and has some great facilities. Plush chairs in the bar and stunning views from the sun terrace.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Allthingsfine

Been to Temple View Hotel? Share your experiences!