Lochmaddy Hotel
Redwood House Hotel(Greshornish)
$255
$206
Borrodale Hotel(Daliburgh)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Polochar Inn(Lochboisdale)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsspecials boardhotel staffsingle roomlarge portionslick of paintfish and chipslocal produceislandmenuisle
Reviewed September 12, 2012

As per my previous reviews, I write this review as a lone business traveller in the Highlands and Islands. My star ratings are given based on the hotel from that perspective.
The Lochmaddy Hotel is a large, traditional hotel building which in recent years has undergone renovation and development, much of which has been on the basic facilities, such as the bathrooms.
My room was a smallish basic single with en suite. The room was furnished with quite dated veneer and pine furniture from 60s-90s in style, and with a new carpet. The colours are neutral and simple, and therefore although the furniture is a little tired, the room was comfortable and sufficient. The bathroom had been recently refurbished in a basic white tile with new suite and shower, all very good.
I ate in the bar, an excellent duck breast with veg cooked to perfection, and a very reasonable price. I really enjoyed the meal. The bar is a dark wood style and could do with updating, but I have no complaints as the atmosphere was relaxed and welcoming and the service efficient and attentive. I can't share other reviewers negative views of the bar, my experience was good.
The staff are very friendly, not in a pushy way just really good hotel staff doing a good job to make guests welcome.
Good food, a decent enough room, a hotel that is slowly redeveloping. It is not the poshest hotel, but it is also unpretentious and family owned. This hotel has, for me, all the basics right, it's welcoming and reasonably priced, and feels to be a part of the community in which it is based.
A final word about an excellent breakfast served in the newly made up breakfast room - I really enjoyed my visit, I will return.

Room Tip: This hotel is also the centre of the local salmon fishing estate. Reasonable prices for a day out on the loch, my tip is give yourself an extra day and take a rod for some first class game sport.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank PeterU620
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed for one night in a rear room which looked out directly onto an earth embankment. Unfortunately although it was warm I had to keep the window shut due to the smell coming from the kitchen extractor fan. The room was clean and to be fair the shower room had recently been refitted to a good standard. Unsurprisingly, like the vast majority of Highland hotels the furnishings were dated and past their best.

The public areas had recently been re furbished and if the rooms are done to the same standard it could be a very good hotel as breakfast was excellent and the evening meals were good pub grub and not overpriced. I appreciate that the management are in the midst of a major refurbishment so hopefully things are constantly improving, in the meantime it might be an idea to drop the rates on any rooms like the one I stayed in until such time as they represent value for money.

A big plus were the staff who were friendly and attentive and genuinely appeared to be concerned when I complained about the standard of my room. With such a short season and the recession, things must be hard so I wish them good fortune and would stay again, but in a different room!

Room Tip: Check to make sure any rear facing rooms area above the earth embankment, also make sure you are nowhere near the kichen extractor fan
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Ewen028
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We ate in the restaurant 2 nights and Sunday lunchtime. The food was tasty (veg not cooked well enough for my specific taste). The staff were very friendly and helpful though the service very slow. However I might add that would be very much a cultural thing. I would eat there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dealande
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This place could be amazing...it could be done so much better!

I had a bar meal in the evening which was good enough. I initially walked into the public bar...what a mistake that was. The boarded-up door should have given it away. Having backed-out and slipped into the Lounge Bar, I waited a ludicrously long time to be served. Not the fault of the obviously-inexperienced young lad behind the bar, who was being pulled this way and that.

Food was adequate, not great but arrived quickly, obviously delivered by someone concentrating on something else as he practically threw the plate at me.

A particularly embarrssing moment came when a foreign tourist asked for a whisky recommendation and the bar staff had no idea. I had to jump in to help out before the Grouse was pulled-out. As a proud Gael, it pains me to say that the English do country hotels and pubs so much better. The hotel bar should be warm (in atmosphere), welcoming, clean, with attentive staff, a focus for the community and equally welcoming to locals and tourists.

The potential here is huge but it could be done so much better!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank KRDMcKiwi
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Just eaten there - lovely view, food quite tasty, but my chicken was dry and chewy- I'd assume it was reheated, and my husband's salmon en croute was rather obviously bought in from a mass supplier, rather burnt around the edges. This is a lovely location, in the main town of the island, and it could be so much better. If only the hotel matched the scenery the whole tourist experience would be very positive, I think they are missing a trick, both for the hotel and for the reputation of the island as a must-go destination.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple