“Reasonable hotel in a remote but beautiful location.”
Review of Dark Island Hotel

Dark Island Hotel
Reviewed November 23, 2012

A welcoming hotel in a remote location offering good value accommodation and food in a very unique and beautiful place. Loved the whisky and the reasonably priced and promptly served bar meals. Staff could not be more welcoming and courteous. I would love to return.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
8  Thank John737

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Great place to hold a wedding, very big with big dance floor. Came over to uist for a wedding wasn't disappointed. Food was ok good sized portions and drinks are cheaper on the bar side rather than on the lounge side! Rooms are ok but nothing to brag about! Nice meal, ad warm and friendly staff!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank sarahm767
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here overnight in October. I have to say that I was very disappointed by my room. It was big but the bed and furniture looked like it had come from the dark ages! The wood was very dark and the bed had a thick satin quilt cover, bolster and pillow shams very similar of something my great granny used to have in her house. Above the bed was a print of an oil painting of a bowl of fruit, this coupled with a copy of bleak house by Charles Dickens at the bedside did nothing to inspire. The room was so cold when I checked in (bleak house) and despite turning the heating full on it never really warmed up much. I reckon the radiator was not big enough for the room.

On the plus side the bar food was very good, as was breakfast. I needed to get up early as I had to be on my way at 8 a.m. There was no heating on in the bedroom until close on 7.30am , so to enable me to get breakfast etc I had to hit the shower at 6.30 am. I have to say it was the quickest shower I have ever taken in my life, getting clothes on was even quicker. I thought they charged an awful lot to be cold and have a 'bleak house' room. Perhaps I was just unlucky with the room I got

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank catlover77
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We recently stayed in the Dark Island Hotel as part of a coach tour, on these tours one does not expect too much of the hotels as you only get what you pay for and after reading the reviews of this hotel we did not expect much but were very pleasently surprised !! The room was bright and very well decorated, the bed was one of the most comfortable we have ever had, and the food was delicious,only sorry we were not staying longer.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Joan C
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Spent two nights at the Dark Island and was thoroughlty impressed. Room was spacious and bright and well up to specification for a hotel in this price range. Bar service and food were outstanding. Excellent and varied menu included local lamb, venison and cheese, all perfectly served. Drinks list included a huge range of whiskies, each one carefully (and accurately) described. The informal bar atmosphere and accessibility of the swimming pool next door all made for a very refreshing and productive stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Alex M
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I recently stayed for 2 nights at the Hotel with my Husband and Father, all 3 of us had a great experience there, the food was excellent as were the staff very efficient friendly and helpful, they couldnt do enough for us, all we had to do was ask and we were catered for, our rooms were clean and comfortable and obviously had been refurbished to a good standard, Thank you to all at the Hotel for making our stay most pleasureable.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank TicketyBooGlasgow
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights as part of a longer tour. I found it clean, friendly and comfy rooms. The food was good and filling, if a bit of a strange combination of items. The breakfast was good and well cooked on hot plates. The location is ideal as its about 600 yds from the most beautiful beach. It was a quiet place and would recommend it to anyone in the area. Plenty of safe parking.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
An Taigh Mor
An Taigh Mor
#2 of 2 in Isle of Eriskay
The Isle of Benbecula House Hotel
The Isle of Benbecula House Hote...
#1 of 2 in Benbecula Island

Been to Dark Island Hotel? Share your experiences!