“Good hotel, perfect to party but still sleep well!”

Koulouris Beach Hotel
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Kavos
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Koulouris Beach is not a 5* hotel, it does not claim to be. It has hotel rooms and maisonettes which are clean, a little dated but comfortable to sleep in. It is a typical Greek complex with a nice pool, good bar which sells surprisingly good food and is a stones throw from the beach and local water sports.

Yes it is a short walk to the main strip, but the beach was safe, I came with a group of friends 21-23 and we really enjoyed our time. We are all under no assumptions that Kavos is a classy resort, the main areas are dirty, full of drunken revelers but if you are coming to Kavos for anything else then this is your mistake.

The strip is a short walk away which means sleeping at night is easy without any thumping music, you pass multiple restaurants with good food and cheap deals, corner shops and bars. If I ever came back to Kavos I would stay here again.

The evening bar man Pedros was brilliant, very friendly and became part of our group when pre-drinking at the hotel. There is a rep that comes around to sell tickets to evening events should you wish, and can organise day trips to some other islands. Some friends we made did some of these trips and really enjoyed them.

All in all its a bargain, its a pretty good location, nice pool, right on the beach and perfect when coming to Kavos.

Note: When you arrive you will be taken to the sister hotel and collected by mini bus shortly after and taken to Kouloris Beach, dont panic!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Joanna489

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Where do I start, we could tell this hotel was atrocious upon arriving at the long narrow path down to 'reception', the rickety bus was a dreadful experience in itself.

The problems start when you roll up to Koulouris. Firstly you are ripped off for air con and a safe, which you have to buy otherwise you will die in the heat, and be infested by mosquitoes, or have your valuables stolen. The room was the most basic untidy place I have ever witnessed, the front window would not shut because of a branch growing inside. The toilet and shower (basically a hole in the corner) were disgusting, and the room had blood splattered on the walls like something out of Hostel!

The bar food was inedible, drinks more watered down than the Peckham spring! And the bar man liked a snooze mid-shift. I would not stay here, or anywhere in Kavos for a matter of fact whilst I have another breath in my body.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jordan T
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Came here for 1 week with a friend, absolutely hated it!

Found dead bugs around room including squashed bug on mirror and it was our first day their meaning staff clearly had not cleaned room previously.

Spiders hanging from light fixtures, and cobwebs all around the room.

Stained bed and bed sheets, which also smelt like stale urine!

Room smelt of mould and damp, water leaking from one corner and gave room really bad smell

You only get one roll of toilet paper for your stay which you have to replace once you leave

Cleaning staff speak no English so huge language barrier when trying to explain something to them

Bed sheets do not get changed during your stay.

Maggots under bed

When I complained to staff (maria and her husband i assume) they were extremely rude, had no manners, not helpful at all, threatening and very disrespectful. And told me I must give complaints to holiday rep. They ruined my stay in Kavos. Alex was the only member of staff that made us feel welcome.

The walk to the strip is 2 minute along the beach, at night its PITCH BLACK locals here also suggest not walking a long the beach when dark if intoxicated as Serbians and Albanians hang around at night looking to rob tourists for what they have so unless you want to chance this every night, do not stay here!

They also wanted to charge us 80€ for aircon for our 1 week stay so refused to pay and ended up covered in mosquito bites :(

My advice please do not waste your money on a so called 'cheap holiday' it's really not worth it pay the extra odd £50 or so and stay elsewhere it will be the best decision you have ever made!

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Shakburke
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We read many complaints online, some quite horrible ones on Trip Advisor, but that was only after we booked our holiday. Not the right way to go about it but then we are noobs at holidays so we were almost dreading it until we actually arrived.

About an hour in a taxi from the Airport, it is situated on the outskirts of Kavos and on the beach. The apartment we got was very basic but clean and tidy. It was a split level large maisonette style room and my boys (10 & 12 years old) loved climbing the stairs to another level for bedtime.

Upon arrival, we were pleasantly surprised with everything, the staff were friendly but not in your face. The location was ideal especially if you love the beach because it is less fifty feet from the pool. A lovely 10 minute walk down the beach and you will be in Kavos’s main strip and it’s full of shops, restaurants and bars and many of them have special discount deals.

Our only gripe, was the kitchen as that was not satisfactory to a family catering holiday, but I’m not going to dwell on that because it was on oversight on my part and also because everything else was, shall we say more than ‘acceptable’.

I think we nearly did all the restaurants, but would only recommend a few like Terry’s, Tex Mex, The Oven Pub, and Alexandros, the rest weren’t bad but just not up to our ‘home cooked’ standards. What ever you do don’t order fillet at ‘the rose tree’ it will not be fillet, it will be rump and I wanted medium rare, but I got tough as old boots well done.

We did notice that these so called Supermarkets only cater to the most basic requirements like bread milk eggs water coke cigarettes and booze. Stuff that younger holiday makers would grab when peckish. What no british sausages? No spuds?

We were into our second week when we decided that we needed home cooking and hired a car to get to Lidl. Lidl is well worth the visit and so is Aqualand. Our breakfast the next day was awesome and we had bough enough to last the week. While in the car we also went into Old Corfu town and were blown away with the endless market shops. Haggle like hell and you will come away with some lovely stuff.

The Bombshell
Midway through our holiday we were told that Koulouris Beach village was now closed for the season and that we would have to pack up and be ready fro a minibus that would take us to another hotel. Apparently that was their sister hotel and much better. After packing we were shuttled in a white minibus to the Ionian Sea View Hotel.

They closed due to not having enough guests to support the village, understandable, but if you’d rather stay in one place for the whole holiday don’t book the last two weeks in August. I guess thats that for the Koulouris now Im off to write another review for the Ionian Sea View :)

The sting in the tail.
I was going to leave it there but I feel obliged to inform anyone with children of some bad points but nothing really to do with the Koulouris Beach Village.

First point.
Kavos is not for children, and although we gave our two the time of their lives, if was difficult and expensive to keep them occupied. There were no other children to play with and nothing really catering to their whims.

Second point.
Kavos and as we found out later the whole of corfu is inundated with wasps. They are rife and very annoying because you cant even sit down on the beach and enjoy a sandwich without the nasty little black and yellow monsters rearing their heads. Even at the the famous Aqua Park my Mrs got stung, and by the time we left Corfu both our children had also been stung. I really do not know how I came away without being stung because I was constantly slapping them off everyone else.

If I was given a free room in Corfu next summer I would turn it down. Yes we had a lot of fun but only because we made the best of what we had. Holidays are NOT supposed to be annoying or hard work.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Papsta
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed here for a week at the beginning of August with my girlfriend and had a very good holiday, however this wasn't down to the hotel!! This was a good time to come as it wasn't overly busy with groups of lads or girls. On arrival I had to pay 60 euros for air con for the week (my fault, I hadn't checked this before hand). The room was extremely basic and I suppose you get what you pay for. However our room was only cleaned twice during the whole week and the towels and sheets were never changed! We also had loads of ants around the sink area, warning don't leave any food out! The pool area is very simple and not really the nicest place to spend the day, but the food is reasonably cheap and staff are nice enough.

However it is an excellent location, right on the beach and only a 5 minute walk to the main strip. If you walk down the beach you will find loads of sun beds and we spent a lot of time at the Cava d'Oro beach bar, who let us use the beds and their pool and is right next to the main town.

If you are going as a couple I recommend to stay out at the bottom end of the strip which has some lovely bars and restaurants, the Aristos does excellent Greek food. The far end is very seedy with all the night clubs, depends what you are there for! I highly recommend the Comedy hypnosis show at the Genesis bar, this was absolutely amazing.

So overall, typical cheap Greek hotel, pretty simple but good location.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My 2 friends and I stayed here from the 6th-13th august and all had a great time. The bar staff are all friendly especially the guy doing night shift. The food is decent at the hotel, wouldnt recommend getting the english breakfast though! Can get drinks at any time of the day, but go to one of the local supermarkets about 5-10 min walk to get some food and drink for the room as its cheaper. You get what you pay for at this sort of hotel, if you wanna lounge around the pool all day and get hammered at night and want a bed to come back too, this is the perfect hotel! I'd recommend a torch to go on the beach to get to the main strip, about 5-10 min walk away as theres no lights but easy to find. Just watch out for the big hole near the start of the strip on the beach! Pavlos steak house and Terrys are very good, dont go to the chinese as its the most expensive and the worst chinese ive ever had! The bars i'd recommend are Mojo's and Crash as they play good music and have strong, well priced drinks, which arent watered down like the rest. DO NOT go to the foam party as it was a total cock-fest, with watered-down drinks and i nearly suffocated in the foam! The Ice Bar is nice to have strong cocktails and shisha if youre into that sort of thing, but quite expensive but you get what you pay for! If youre a group of boys, hit the strip bar aswell near the rolling stones bar - which also is a good bar! You have to get a [--] as it does what it says! I would ignore all the bad reviews people give, as they obviously dont know how to have a good time! Take note on all the stuff said above and have a mental time in Kavosssss!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Smee151
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend & I stayed here for the 1st week of August. After reading reviews I had no idea what to expect, but do not worry! Some people obviously like to exaggerate. The rooms are clean but basic, bed, shower & a fridge but what else do you want for a self catering holiday? The pool area was fine & the food is nice from the pool bar. However, food is much cheaper in the main town. The walk to the town is literally 10 mins on the beach, Koulourios is at the end of the strip & the main strip is a 15 min walk away so you can't hear any music or commotion! We had lovely meals at Pavlos & The Tex Mex restaurant. You shouldn't struggle to find places to eat. We spent a few nights in The Wembley Bar which is where you will get a real drink as the bars on the main strip are tend to sell the cheap rubbish! Overall Kavos is lovely, we went to the waterpark & on the Paxs trip which we enjoyed massively! Don't worry yourself after reading some of these reviews because the hotel is fine & all the staff are brilliant, can't do enough for you! I'm glad we stayed here as some of the other hotels we dropped people off at didn't look half as nice as Koulourious. Enjoy!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank B-SFIELD
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kavos
Morfeas Hotel
Erofili Hotel
Erofili Hotel
#5 of 14 in Kavos
Bella Vista Hotel & Studios

Been to Koulouris Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!