“A for effort...D for value”

Playa La Roca Ecohotel
Ranked #1 of 36 Riohacha B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Indeed, lovely ownership and staff. Helpful, interesting, and interested... Unfortunately the price is outrageous and the beach is not as advertised. We came to chill after the lost city trek. The website showed blue waters and first class infrastructure, and the kicker is that I was CHARGED for it. 200.00 US dollars per night, way too much... The ocean was absolutely unswimmable (by ANYONE) way too rough...and the food, though tasty was relatively spartan.
I've never written a review before, yet I felt compelled to ask the ownership to price their product for what it is worth. I would have felt slightly perturbed to pay one hundred dollars a night for what I recieved, but two hundred? I'm still a little pissed.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank pwbdenali

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed at Playa La Roca for three wonderful days in January. The owners have created a peaceful beachside oasis. Each unique room expressed the creativity, thought, and care that has been brought to this beautiful hotel. The grounds are filled with flowers and lovely landscaping. But, of course, one goes to Playa La Roca for the beach, and it did not disappoint - whether staring out at the waves during the day or up at the stars at night, this was one of the nicest stretches of beach we saw while in Colombia. As others have pointed out, the sea is very rough, but a half hour walk down the beach brings you to an incredible spot where a pristine mountain river flows into the ocean; there you can swim in the river, swim in the ocean, or ride the river current into the ocean.

One of the most interesting aspects of the Playa La Roca experience was the group seating at mealtime - at each meal, we met incredibly interesting people, often Colombian families on vacation, and had rewarding interactions that we simply would not have had sitting by ourselves at a table for two. For us, this intentional design element of Playa La Roca made clear that the owners, Mario and Samilla, had more in mind than simply building a hotel. I believe their goal was to create an experience, rather than just a physical place. Through combining natural beauty, great design, and rewarding social interaction, they succeeded thoroughly.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RickBike
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stayed 2 nights and 3 days at Playa La Roca with my husband and 17 year old son. The 3 of us absolutely loved it.
Peaceful, idyllic position, clean, great service, great food. Besides that, even though our aim was just to rest peacefully for a couple of days, we ended up enjoying socialising with other guests. It just seems to be the right place that attracts diverse, progressive thinking and interesting people. We are looking forward to come back in our next trip to Colombia.

Celestina, Mel & Alejandro, Sydney Australia.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Celestina21
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Beautiful huts on the beach, excellent food and welcoming staff. This is a secluded tropical paradise. A place to lie in a hammock watching the sea and the sky, to breathe the incredible air, to look at the sky at night... Be aware that the sea is too rough for swimming, but the beach is pristine and deserted, and you can walk from the hotel to the Palomino river (25 min) where it meets the sea, and cool off in the river which is cool and clean. If you are looking for an atmosphere of serenity, this is the place!

The staff are extremely helpful and go out of their way to make you comfortable. I am particular about my food, and they made sure that I had everything that I wanted, and on several occasions prepared special meals for me - for example one evening spaghetti was on the menu for dinner, but as I do not eat pasta they asked me what I preferred. There is an abundance of fruit available in the dining room, so you can help yourself (fresh mangoes from their garden) and fresh juice is served with every meal.

Room Tip: I stayed in the cabana next to the massage room, at the far end of the hotel. My room was upstairs...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MsSR41
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I spent a wonderful 10 days on my own at Playa la Roca where I felt immediately both welcomed and integrated. The group seating at mealtimes and the warm hospitality create an environment enabling open, ready friendships.

Run by a Colombian family which has lived for 40 years among the indigenous people's of the area, the place has an authentic and laid back feel and informs the beautifully realized rustic architecture. They are also very knowledgeable and can organize everything from day trips to more far ranging transport.

Tasty food with local ingredients (let them know in advance of food restrictions as it is a no choice menu) which sometimes leaves you unfortunately wanting seconds.

Simplicity is the word, so do not expect luxe, but everything is impeccably clean and tastefully done. Ask for a cabaña as the rooms in the main building can be less than private and somewhat noisy as they open to the main eating, common area.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Jodyb10
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We really liked this family-run hotel. Mario, the hotel owner, speaks excellent English (and Spanish) and goes out of his way to help you. The food was the best we have had. Home-cooked, varied, and fresh.

The hotel is right on the beach and you can hear it. The water was too rough for us to go in but other times of the year it is perfectly safe.

Guests mingled with each other and there was a very friendly atmosphere. We had good chats with many different Colombians.

The only minus was that our spacious room (in the main building) was warm. It didn't really cool despite us having the windows open all night. My friend didn't seem bothered with the heat but I was. The cabins are better ventilated.

Mario took us to see a local water fall and to Tayrona National Park. He knows the fauna and flora intimately, as well as the local history. He had all the time in the world for our many questions and was happy to share his knowledge.

I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 18, 2012

This is a unique and very special place, particularly if you are looking for a quiet and relaxing getaway that's well away from the standard beach-tourist scene. The rooms and cabanas are built by hand using local materials. The food is fresh and good and local. It's a real example of a beautiful, low-key way to experience this fantastic natural stretch of coastline. Most important, the family that runs Playa la Roca and all the staff are very kind and helpful and care very much about what they're doing. We stayed for three nights and would have happily stayed longer. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brianjn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Riohacha
Hotel Taroa
#2 of 2 in Buritaca
Hotel Hukumeizi
Hotel Hukumeizi
#4 of 4 in Palomino

Been to Playa La Roca Ecohotel? Share your experiences!