“Ice cream & smoothie”
Review of Cacao Heladeria

Cacao Heladeria
Ranked #1 of 16 Dessert in Villa de Leyva
Good for: Families with children
Description: Handmade , natural, and healthy ice cream parlor. It incorporates Colombian and local fruits, traditional and exotic flavors. Frozen Yogurt without sugar added, Ice Cream , Vegan Ice Cream, Popsicles , Sundaes, Smoothies , Juice bar, Fruit Salads , Waffles, Gelato Panini (Ice Cream Sandwich), Lava Cakes, Desserts, Coffee, Tea, and others.
Reviewed April 7, 2019 via mobile

Went to this place to grab something on the way after reading good reviews online. They had a good selection of ice cream with cups or cones available. My husband ordered an ice cream and I asked for a smoothie.

I was waiting for some time while the lady serving was rummaging in the freezer looking for the ingredients. They didn't have my first two choices and the lady pointed to something on the menu called Copoazu (also spelt Cupuaçu) and said she had that in stock. The menu said it was an Amazon fruit which is what my two previous choices had been so I said ok.

While I waited I Googled the fruit which is said to taste like a mixture of chocolate and pineapple. Unfortunately what I received was far from that. The smoothie had a very strong chemical taste. It honestly tasted how paint smells and like it should not be consumed. I've never had that fruit before so have no idea if that's how its suppose to taste, if something in the smoothie had gone off or if there was cleaning residue in the equipment used to cause the overpowering chemical taste.

I made my husband try it and he confirmed it was awful and then I had to throw it away. This is still a good place to visit if you want ice cream, waffles, desserts etc I'd just warn people to know what they're ordering with the smoothies/juices before making the same mistake I did and just hope it was the flavour of the fruit and not anything else causing the taste.

Date of visit: April 2019
1  Thank elt1091
CacaoHeladeria, Owner at Cacao Heladeria, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2019

Hi, I am sorry that the taste of copoazu has not been to your liking. But have an account that the taste of a fruit and more being totally unknown to you is something very subjective. Something that distinguishes us is the scrupulous cleanliness of our machines and the careful choice of our suppliers.
Also base your opinion on Google of a taste of a fruit that you do not know and that occurs only in these latitudes it is not very realistic.

I think that simply this fruit is not for you, just as another person may not like strawberries or blueberries. Maybe later, make a choice that suits your palate.

Reviewed December 30, 2018 via mobile

The place has open windows and we walked by a couple eating a fabulous sundae so we had to stop in. The man at the counter (I think the owner?) was very nice and answered all our questions! They had some really cool flavors and the ice cream was really nice! Would recommend for an after dinner dessert!

1  Thank Maria A
Reviewed December 28, 2018 via mobile

Service was excellent. Ice Cream and smoothies made from scratch with exotics fruits ( kiwi, blueberry, cranberry, chamba, chontaduro, araña, asía, copoazu). Recommended. A place to visit, don’t miss the opportunity to try tropical flavors.

1  Thank yensn
Reviewed December 25, 2018 via mobile

Such friendly employees and good ice cream! A fantastic place to get dessert in Villa de Levya for the whole family

1  Thank lalahali
Reviewed December 9, 2018 via mobile

Ice cream is average and service very poor. I had to confirm 3 times my order and cashier wanted to keep my change. My order was delayed and incompleted. The cashier had a bad temper and his service skills are... Jen doesn’t have them.