“Pleasant stays with 'buts'” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Suites Arco Iris

Suites Arco Iris
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Villa de Leyva
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Pleasant stays with 'buts'”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

The access to the place is not easy - a dirt track badly lit and in fact on both nights we saw people struggling and needing to be pushed up the road, kind of dangerous. so we decided to park our car for the length of our stay and use their taxi service, which was very reliable but means you can't be as spontaneous visiting the city.
The rooms are well appointed, spacious and with character, although some little touches are missing: for a 'spa' boutique hotel their toiletries were awful. The water was lukewarm at best.
The booking service was an absolute pain, insisting we made a transfer from abroad (which is ridiculous given the bank fees). why couldn't they simply take a credit card as guarantee like in most other places?
The grounds are very nice and well kept and service was helpful and attentive.
we enjoyed it but wondered if it wouldn't had been better to stay in one of the beautiful hotels full of character in town.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank HendrikM
suitesarcoiris, Gerente at Suites Arco Iris, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Good day Mr.Hendrick

We thank you for taking the time to leave a comment about our Hotel.

We always take customer comments very seriously and try to improve every aspect of our service. We apologize for any inconvenience that we may have caused.

Regarding the road state on that date was caused by a heavy ice-rain storm we had that day in Villa de Leyva, something that caused great damages and chaos all around the town. This happens maybe once a year. The rest of the time the road is easier to access and cars normally do not have trouble coming up the mountain. About the water that was not hot enough, its a problem that most of the hotels suffer, and even more here that we are out of town. Nevertheless we never received any complaints about the water on that day, which could have omitted the opportunity to have fixed the issue in the right time, and have made your stay more comfortable.

We appreciate your time and your patience, and we hope you could give us the chance another time to make your stay among the best.

Cordially,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

Tony-Houston TX
Set in the mountains some 3 miles from downtown villa de Leyva, you can't beat this setting.
Suites are spatious, decorated with Colombian artwork, excellent service.
Attentive staff:We were running late and hotel staff tracked us down, advised us as to how to get to Villa de Leyva and arranged for a driver waiting for us at night!
Fireplace in room, hammock, fall in love again.
Excellent view, quiet at night, romantic setting. Highly recommended.
You can do small hikes to stream and mountainside.Great!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tony P
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

As other reviewers have noted, it was the Tripadvisor rating that led me to try this hotel. I'll start my review with the booking process. PETS WELCOME!! but do tell them in advance. A series of exchanges with Olga, an email with my card information and a Call from Mauricio was all it took. Easy. Now, the part about getting there. Colombian roads are not for the faint of heart, but that being said, both choices of roads from Bogota have issues. I'd give the road though Samaca a 2/5 rating, and the road through Chiquinquira a 3.5+/5 as there aren't as many tolls as the other option; why 4 tollbooths on the Sopo road is beyond me. Careful when crossing Villa de Leyva, as the cobblestone roads around the plaza are harder on your car than the actual mountain climb. Road to access the hotel is an unpaved, uphill experience that reminded me a little of the "Fujimi Kaido" track in Forza 4; nevertheless, my vintage ragtop (and one should do this drive in a convertible, to really enjoy the beautiful nature of the area) was able to negotiate it without any undercarriage hits, or serious power demands. As I said before, I dread more having to cross again the main plaza than the access road. Now, to the hotel itself. On arrival, we were greeted by the staff, who promptly indicated where to park, where to do the check-in process and took us to our room in less than 10 minutes. The room was really clean, and thanks to the one star reviewer, I did my due diligence on verifying this item. Cantarina room is perfect for couples, except for the fact that it doesn't have a tub. On weekends you can use the wet areas free of charge, but getting out of your room is not always what you want; we didn't mind, but be advised. View from our room covered the entire valley below and the mountains on the sides. Two very large windows give you all the sights you need. On the other hand, room is very well lit, so if you want to sleep late, have your sleepmask handy, I did and it worked like a charm. Minibar fridge is sometimes noisy (unplug at will) and limited to beverages only so if you want snacks, bring them in advance. Prices are very reasonable, though. The restaurant has a fair variety of dishes, the staff is eager to serve and the place was very clean. Exploring the area is very worthwhile, as the Mirador, the Cascadas and the mountains have beautiful picture opportunities, as well as much contact with nature. Staff in the wet zone is very helpful and the area itself is also clean, albeit a little small. It might be able to serve 15 people simultaneously in a pinch, but that's it, please plan accordingly. We also used the romantic dinner service, and the food and decorations were beautiful; one suggestion is to remind them half an hour in advance, to make sure your food is delivered on time. My wife loved the arrangements so much, we decided to have breakfast in our room as well. Again, a reminder to the staff can go great lengths to make your plans happen with no issues. My dog was able to roam the area freely, and the staff (all of them) was very attentive to its needs and even played with it. The Cascadas hike it enjoyed the most, wandering like a rabbit all over. The drive itself covered 263 miles from Bogota, so info in Google Maps is off. I hope I covered most areas of interest, all I can say now is that this is a VERY RECOMMENDED destination for a getaway, to commune with your loved one and nature as well.

Room Tip: Top floor suites have the best views and are really well lit. No noise on them either.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Miguel2105
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor I decided to book a suite for a 3 night couple's getaway and it definitely lived up to the hype. The room was beautiful, well kept and clean. The suites with Jacuzzi have a very reasonable 90 minute a day policy which by far exceeds the use you will/should give the jacuzzi. Hot water was definitely not a problem, our suite came with a private heater that heated the shower in seconds. The fireplace was well equipped but we didn't use it for we found no need for it. The gardens surrounding the suites is very well maintained and a beauty to walk through, however it can feel a bit too steep when getting to the furthest suites but nothing that anyone with a below average physical state can't handle. The hotel area is extremely quiet which is a double-edged sword. On one hand rest is great because of the tranquility during the night, however since the hotel is so quiet any unwanted noise is perceived louder which can be an issue in the mid morning, if you had a long night ;) , once the staff and clients start roaming the area. The hotel grounds can also get a bit windy which can be loud inside the rooms. Of the 3 nights of our stay we only had one night where another couple stayed in the room in front of ours and noise from their room could not be heard inside ours, however conversation from the balcony of their room could be heard. On a side note the hotel is on a mountain side and opening a window at night with a light on will attract bugs that although harmless can be a nuisance. I would also beware of opening windows/balconies from 5-6:30 AM as this is the time where mosquitoes, although few, roam outside. On one of our nights a single, very loud mosquito, cost us around 2 and a half hours of sleep but it was our fault completely.

I feel like this hotel is definitely not a family hotel and is marketed accordingly for a romantic stay. It is important to note that every room in the hotel is unique providing lots of feels for planning and spicing up future stays. I would DEFINITELY recommend visiting the hotel's website, they have a very detailed catalog of the rooms with commodities, pictures and prices. I can vouch for the accuracy of the pictures of the room we stayed in. I would ALSO RECOMMEND you call the hotel for availability and specials, which are great. Booking directly with the hotel will give you a 30-35% discount on every weekday night, including Fridays, you book which is an unbeatable deal.

Overall a great stay that lived up to our expectations and in some regards exceeded them.

Ø

Room Tip: Higher rooms provide more privacy as some balconies are smack against the footpath.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank The_Orjo
Piscataway, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

This is just a magic place in a wonderful town. We loved it. The landscape, the service and the kindness of everybody working at this place, made it one of my best vacation places ever.
Discounted prices were also very helpful, and in general, a perfect place for a romantic, quiet and great intimate time.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Zar y Zarina. Very nice room with an awesome view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I visited Suites Arco Iris last month...it was fabulous! We loved the mountain views and the natural surroundings. The colors were beautiful and breakfast in the balcony made this a very romantic stay! Highly recommend this for your next vacation.

Room Tip: Get the room with a jucuuzi
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Motown_Mitch
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

I've been visiting Villa de Leyva for a few years now, and I had never have the opportunity to stay in this hotel. I saw the hotel in a web site a couple of years back and I thought then, that it looked beautiful and romantic. Last month, while I was staying in a centric hotel in Villa de Leyva, I decided to take the opportunity of enjoy this hotel with my girlfriend.We were looking to have a nice romantic night to celebrate my re-encounter with her. Eventhout Arco Iris looked like a nice place to stay, I knew that if I stay there it will be very inconvenient for me to go out and enjoy the town after the check in. Its kind of far from town and you have to drive in a very incline road (locals warn me), no pave and no lights at night. Any how, I went to to their website to book one of their cabins and I saw the offer for the week. The cabins that cover the offer looked amazing so, I decided to called them to booked directly. The person from the hotel told me to do a deposit in a bank but it didn't give me enough information so I had to called him back like five times while I was in the bank..very annoying. Then, I decided to go to the hotel early afternoon to do the check in and, mostly to see if it was better to drive there or to take a taxi. The area where the hotel is located is really beautiful; you can see the mountains and you can breath pure air, just wonderful. We did the check in... got the key and went to see where the the cabin was so we can find it later on at night time (they are more like cabins apart from each other). I asked the maid if they have wine in the room and, she said yes. We went back to town to have dinner and to shop a little before we come back to the hotel. We took a taxi and went back to the hotel around midnight. Then we notice that the cabin looked beat up and not that clean at all. The rest room was full of bugs (it seems it was an opening in the glass ceiling). Also the bed had a tons of women hair in the linens. It was funny because the hotel policy is to change the sheets every four days (that i'm more than ok with that) but at least give the guest the first set clean! to top it all off; there was a bottle of wine but not wine opener!. My girlfriend tried to find the wine opener, no luck, then she tried to open the bottle with a fork...I felt so bad because she did want to celebrate with a glass of wine on front of the fire place. The maid the opened the room in the afternoon gave us a a plastic card with the phone number to call the front desk but they were closed after 11pm. At the end, we felt like been in a cheap motel. The next morning we were supposed to get free breakfast but no luck there ether! We didn't find the restaurant? We did the check out and left. I saw great reviews for this hotel witch tell me that its a matter of luck to get good service here. My recommendation to people is to stay in any of the great hotels in town. Its going to be more romantic and you will have more things to do with your partner. Also you don't have to deal with bad roads, bad room service, bugs etc. Also is better to enjoy Villa de Leyva without worried about coming back to the hotel at any time at day or night. In Arco Iris you are in your own after 11pm...i wonder what the guess would do in case of an emergency? I can't picture that road in winter time, it has to be really dangerous! This bad experience won't stop me to come back to the Beautiful Villa de Leyva!!!

Room Tip: Check the cabins before you go if you can.I wont recommend to stay more than two nights because you...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Mike_008_13
suitesarcoiris, Gerente at Suites Arco Iris, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Mr. Mike,

We are very ashamed and frustrated about your bad experience during your stay at Hotel Arco Iris and that unfortunately, you were not one of the thousands guests who visit us and leave happy. We have a serious concern because of your discomfort, we have reviewed your complaint, and we believe that the channel of communication from you entry to the hotel was broken by the receptionist, because the first thing we do is to set the breakfast time with the guest since this is provided at the room, secondly; It seems that a preparation or routine daily check of the room was not carried out, this is usually done with reserves that have been previously cancelled and other guests are expected. It was also a failure of the maid who did not correct the misplaced glass ceiling since the hotel is located in the countryside and with an air intake it most likely will arise insects, to which rooms we have insecticide tablets, thirdly; that the person who made up the room did not use mesh to gather her hair since this is a hotel policy when changing lines, fourthly; that the staff failed to inform you there is a phone for emergencies enabled 24 hours, which is written on the card delivered. Regarding customer service in relation on the fireplaces, Jacuzzis and mid-volume music, there is a policy that allows their use until 10.30 pm, because with this measure we try there is no activity of any kind so that other guests may sleep in silence, and fifthly; that you did not indicate to the receptionist about the breakfast while checking out, the restaurant is adjacent to the reception, the hotel provides taxi service 24 hours, the road is in good condition although it’s unpaved, it’s dark at night because the hotel is located in a rural area, and last point Mr. Mike; It is that we do not find any registration or email in the months of March and April with the name that starts with Mike, therefore, we'd like to receive an email indicating at least week or month of their stay, to find those responsible for your bad experience at the hotel and take the appropriate corrective measures.

Since these reviews are opportunities for improvement in all our processes and services to achieve the satisfaction of our customers, as a result of your complaint, we have decided that the information provided in Spanish will be given in English, the hotel has hired a new receptionist who has a little knowledge of English to prevent this situations from happening again.

Mr Mike, to end this response we would like you to give us a second chance to visit the hotel and to realize that rooms comply with high quality standards, for this purpose we would like to invite you free of charge on your next visit to Villa de Leyva.
Many thanks for taking the time to write this review.
Kind regards,