“A relaxing sojourn in nature with some special people.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mawasi Finca

Mawasi Finca
Ranked #16 of 76 Villa de Leyva B&B and Inns
Burlington, Canada
“A relaxing sojourn in nature with some special people.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2011

After a busy week in Bogota, Mawasi Finca, near Villa de Leyva was a lovely quiet retreat. William and Bonnie made my visit feel like a home away from home. I loved starting each day with a view of the sunrise over the mountains, the songs of the birds, and several cups of Colombian coffee. I looked forward to the delicious and healthful breakfast made with local produce. I could speak English with Bonnie and practise my Spanish with William. They are both so knowledgeable and work hard to ensure that they are taking care of the environment. It was fun to go to town to visit the market, the shops and restaurants then to retreat to the quiet of the countryside to my little cabin with the panoramic view of the fireflies and the night sky. I enjoyed the many hiking opportunities and explored some of the small towns in the mountains. I will definitely return!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank hiker062

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Longwood, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2010

My friend and I had the good fortune to spend 5 nights with William & Bonnie at the Mawasi Finca, 5 miles outside of Villa de Leyva, Colombia. The finca sits on about 1 acre of land with beautiful views of the hillside on the other side of the valley.

Bonnie, the Canadian born owner, bought the land as a place to build her weekend getaway, and shortly thereafter decided to turn it into a small B&B. The main building, where Colombian born William lives year round, has a kitchen, small living room w/fireplace, and a bedroom upstairs. Bonnie comes out on the 3 1/2 hour ride from Bogota to spend weekends.

The guest house is situated on the other end of the property and contains 1 double bed and 1 bunk bed, with a small table serving as a nightstand. It can accommodate 2 adults and 2 kids. There is electricity in the room. The bathroom is 20 steps away and contains modern plumbing. On the far side of the structure is a beautifully tiled shower stall that is open on one side, so you're basically taking an outdoor shower, which was fabulous. There is no one to peer in for miles.

We arrived on a Friday and offered to pick Bonnie up in Bogota with our rental car to save her the bus ride. It worked out great for both of us as the directions can be a little tricky for the last 5 miles.

On Sunday, Bonnie went back to the city and my friend and I were forced to hone our Spanish language skills with William, who speaks very little English. We urged him to learn more and I believe he will make an earnest attempt to do so. We took a notebook and wrote down certain phrases and words that he might need to know, llke soap, towels, breakfast, etc.

The cost for our room was about US $20 per person, plus $3.50 for breakfast, and was a bargain. We included William in our activities over the last 3 days and had a great time hiking and horseback riding with him.

Bonnie introduced us to a jeweler friend of hers in Villa de Leyva. I purchased an emerald from him and brought it home for my wife. I think I paid about $150. My wife brought it to a jeweler in Florida who said that if I had bought it in his shop, he would have charged about $2500 for the stone.

The Mawasi Finca is rustic and not for everyone, but it sure was for us!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

William is a fantastic host. We travelled with our two year old daughter and we absolutely loved Mawasi Finca. The accomodation is well laid out, private witha view to die for when you wake up in the morning, overlooking the mountains.
Williams cooking is first class, and very accomodating. He pointed us in the right direction when looking at travelling further afield in Colombia and made sure we were picked up from the bus stop and showed us around town. A superb place to stay in Villa de Leyva.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
travelin-ls
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

WOW!!! Our mouths dropped upon arrival as we took in the beauty of Mawasi Finca. The setting is truly magical, from the boundless mountain views, volcanic rock formations and giant aloe plants to the light that dances through the upstairs window waking us just in time for William's freshly squeezed orange juice and scrumptious breakfast masterpieces. And, my absolute favorite, the outdoor showers!! If you enjoy the tranquility of the outdoors and simple luxuries, I could not give this finca a higher recommendation.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Cambridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2010

I cannot recommend Mawasi Finca enough. Our stay of three nights was fantastic.

The location is great, set in the rolling countryside you feel away from it all but only 20 minutes from Villa de Leyva.

The buildings are unique and full of character, you feel like you are staying at a friend's country house not a B&B. Waking up to a view of the mountains is lovely. Taking a shower in the sunshine is great fun.

Best of all though are the super helpful owners. From the first email to the last hug goodbye we were looked after, cared for and generally spoilt. William cooks a mean breakfast and being driven around the countryside in his Jeep was great fun.

Villa de Leyva is nice but what I will remember most is staying here and all help and support William gave us. The place is inspired and an inspiration!!

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Andyspoon
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2009

I have visited Villa at least once a year for the last 10 and this is by far my favorite place to stay! It's more like having your own country home, with help, than being at a hotel or B&B. You do what you want, when you want and how you want and Bonnie and William help figure out the details. Need to get to the Periquera (waterfalls), they'll drive you, or arrange a taxi or horses to pick you up at the finca, or in town, or at the waterfalls! Want to have breakfast made for you? Done! Want to cook your own meal? Done! Want to wander around and meet the locals? Done! Want to sit around and do nothing? Done! Don't know what you want? They'll suggest a million ideas! They're great!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank lilcadillac
Barichara, Colombia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2009

Being Villa de Leyva one of the most popular destinations in Colombia, I have stayed in Mawasi several times ever after I met its owners. They personally take care of business and provide visitors with the best atmosphere without imposing it. It is definitely an off the beaten track location, only a couple of miles outside the town, and it is a simple yet rich in many ways. The view of the mountains is spectacular.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends