“Be Warned”

Achill Cliff House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Keel B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Good accommodation spoiled by terrible food and unfriendly staff. The so called irish breakfast was swimming in grease and the evening meal was the worst I have ever had. I will never stay there again

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank David B

Reviewed August 12, 2012

WARNING!! DO NOT EAT HERE!! Only after dining at cliff house I read trip adviser and I have to agree with severel reviews that write about the rudeness of the staff you would think they were doing us the favour by giving them our buiness. What happened to Irish hospitality?! It is inabundense everywhere else on this beautiful island! We were a party of adults no children, no excuse! We all agreed have eaten bad food but never as bad as cliff house!
If you are to dine in achill, I would highly recommend calveys which is next door or the Beehive for a lighter menu.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Rosie M
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We have stayed here many times and each time it is fabulous! It is spotlessly clean, the rooms are spacious, and each room has a deep, lovely tub (bring bubbles). It is right across the street from Keel Beach (beauty spot) and you can sit at breakfast and watch the gulls flying over the sea. By far the best part is the food...I can't say enough about it. The food is fresh, cooked perfectly, and presented beautifully! I really don't want everyone to discover this place because I want to keep it to my self. It is a family run, small hotel, my favorite. The people are welcoming, friendly, and will remember you when you come back.

Room Tip: The rooms upstairs in the front have a lovely view of the beach. If you go in the summer and want to...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Anne P
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Had a meal here over the long weekend and it was first rate, just beautiful. The view from the dining room is stunning and the place is spotlessly clean. The staff are wonderful and friendly, I think it is family run. I will certainly be back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank noelens
Reviewed May 23, 2012

As a seasoned visitor to beautiful Achill for many many years my family and I were disappointed with this place,this is more of a guesthouse than an hotel,on arrival we were dealt with in a rushed fashion ,our rooms were very cold,my son complained and the heating was turned on,the rooms were clean but old fashioned,we ate a meal here which was lovely until I discovered lots of bones in my fish,I pointed this out when my plate was collected but it fell on deaf ears,we were told the 'Bar' was closed after the last serving which was early ,surely this is not normal for an hotel,overall we were dealt with an abrupt friendliness,when going to Achill again we will stay like we always have in the past in Self Catering.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank eily18
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We booked our room at short notice but even with that taken into account or stay was little more than mediocre. It is a pity because Achill is a beautiful place and deserves to have hotels worthy of such a beauty spot. I would not say our stay was bad but at times felt a left us feeling a little wanting. Our room was very cold on arrival but it was clean and had all of the basic necessities. Breakfast was an experience as the lady serving us seemed to dislike requests! We had some basic requests that didn't seem to go down too well at all! However, the quality of the food itself was good. The hotel was a bit of an in and out job for us, they didn't really seem to have any interest in us as lodgers or customers and didn't seem to interested in having us back so I definitely think they need to work on their customer service and retention policies but you will sleep in a clean room (albeit a cold one) and you will have a nice breakfast!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheWexican
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Hello travellers, we came to this wonderfull hotel absolutely by accident. The more we were happy about this surprise. Good and clean rooms, huge for two people. Free Wifi, friendly service and an excellent restaurant we need to recommand. And all this for very fair price.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keel
0 mi away
#1 of 3 in Dugort
Atlantic Breeze B&B
Atlantic Breeze B&B
#6 of 12 in Keel

Been to Achill Cliff House Hotel? Share your experiences!