“Quirky, unusual, unique”

Ferndale Luxury Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 12 Keel B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We chose this B&B entirely on the basis of the uniformly positive tripadvisor reviews and we were not disappointed.
Jon is an excellent host that goes out of his way to make sure that your stay is perfect.
The location on top of the hill gives great views from the dining room and some of the bedrooms. Each bedroom is differently themed. We stayed in the Chinese room which has a fantastic steam shower.
Even though small, this B&B has a large dining room which is used as a restaurant in the evenings. The menu is very extensive. You will not leave hungry and the quality of the food is significantly higher than what you will find in a standard B&B. Breakfast is also very extensive with a menu of around 20 choices.
We will certainly try and stay here again next time we visit Achill Island.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank md1mm

Reviewed August 13, 2012

I stayed here for 3nights last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Although I didn't have an evening meal, I had breakfast, and the food was amazing. All fresh produce, very tastefully cooked and presented. I stayed in the Arabian room and the bed was fantastic, you get a great sleep here!
It's very peaceful, only the birds singing!
It is located up a laneway, just a short distance(5mins walk) from the centre of Keel where you access the beach, shop, takaway, restaurants and pubs.
The rooms were impeccable and John is a fantastic host, most obliging.
I will definitely try to go back again, and lets hope the weather will as beautiful!!
Thanks, Catherine.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

We arrived after a five-hour journey in driving rain to a warm welcome and piping hot pot of tea we enjoyed in our room. The owners have put a lot of work into making this a unique experience, from the cleverly-themed rooms to satisfying all creature comforts. After a bracing walk on the beach we warmed ourselves up in the hot-tub before enjoying a three-hour meal in the restaurant. Sitting in the cozy restaurant with rain lashing against the windows, we enjoyed dishes from an extensive menu before a restful night's sleep. The next day, against all odds, the rain cleared and we were able to enjoy the full beauty of Achill before returning home. I encourage you to stay here - this is a special place in a special place on earth.

Room Tip: Splurge on a mini-suite!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Whirob
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Recently stayed in this wonderful unique spot with my partner for a quite weekend away. Having never stayed in a bed and breakfast before I was unsure of what to expect. I chose the property based on the unique selling point of its exceptionally comfortable and interesting bedrooms designs and was really looking forward to seeing these rooms. All I can say is amazing wonderful location wonderful views and genuine excellent service from Heidi and Jon. I work in the hospitality business and can truely say they have something really special here and they make it. From the welcoming retriever on arrival to the luxurious rooms I can 100 % say I really hope we get the opportunity to get back dowm here again. Thank you Jon and Heidi for a lovely time ....Mike & Martina

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Anon465
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Our fourth year back and it keeps getting better. We stayed 4 nights in the new addition Venetian Room and upon entering it took our breathe away!! The Venetian room is crafted with exquisite taste and charm. Jon has blended a large spacious room with the new and old; 65 inch HD swivel television and blu ray player which can be viewed either from bed or the 2 person hot tub and decoration/furnishings that will transport you to another place and time beyond Ireland. And to pass the time on those rainy days the room has a gorgeous view of Achill sound.

Above and beyond the furnishings was most comfortable bed. So much so that my wife and I decided to purchase the same after our return home. Now that is saying something!

Jon and his staff are so welcoming and gracious. If you need anything they will provide it for you. Not enough can be said about Ferndale House and what it has to offer. Jon is the master of creating the most unique and exciting B&B in Ireland. We can’t wait to return next year to see what surprises are awaiting us. Thank you for a fabulous vacation!

Room Tip: Any room at Ferndale House is a great choice.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Irelandinourhearts
Reviewed June 19, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for one night last week, on a friend's recommendation. I am very sorry that we did not book for longer. I have travelled extensively around the world and stayed in some amazing hotels, but this room was by far the most interesting and comfortable. We stayed in the Roman Suite, which is one of the superior suites. We did think initially that the price was a little steep for a B&B on Achill, but now I can say that it was worth every penny. Our arrival was very welcoming, our room was furnished to a very high spec, the bed is THE MOST COMFORTABLE I HAVE EVER SLEPT IN. The bedroom decor is very dramatic but works very well (Jon's imagination is fantastic and his attention to detail is second to none). The bathroom (I cannot call it an en-suite as it is bigger than my living room) was huge, comfortable and well equipped.(Lovely hot-tub! Shame we didn't have time to use it!). Bathrobes and slippers were available for us to use. There was a large plasma tv & blueray player at our disposal. The views were stunning, right across Keel bay and up to the beautiful mountains - wonderful. Jon & Heidi were charming, friendly and welcoming. I didn't speak with Alex much, but his scones are TO DIE FOR.
Breakfast was gorgeous - I had the eggs benedict which I think was the best option.
We also had dinner there. The tastes were superb, the attention to detail was incredible and the surprising little touches and extra courses (mackeral paté, fruit sorbet and apple schnapps apperitif) were delightful! There are some exotic options on the menu (kangaroo, bison & ostrich) and some combinations that might seem adventurous (lamb with scallops) but also some more subtle and less risky choices, so there is something for everyone! With a maximum cost (currently E39 before wine) it is really good value for money.
But beware: If you like boring, small portions and are unwilling to try different tastes and textures then get thee to a fast food joint - this food is for those who like to eat!! Like me!! ;)
Thank you Ferndale for a wonderful stay - we will be back!
Ps. I think I left my trainers there :(

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PaddyOTravel
Reviewed May 31, 2012

There isn’t much more anyone can say about Ferndale that hasn’t already been said; Jon is a terrific & very entertaining host, the wonderfully themed rooms are amazing, Heidi’s breakfasts are terrific, and the views are to die for.
When we first booked we were quite determined to stay in the Chinese room. This was every bit as good as the pictures online but when Jon offered us an upgrade on arrival, to the Venetian room, the combination of the larger room, so wonderfully themed and designed and the huge picture window overlooking the bay & cliffs as well as back to the lake we jumped at the chance. But Jon I’m afraid you spoilt the rest of our holiday as the rooms we stayed in after staying with you, seemed so boring :- )
[I removed my initial review in order to add a review of the Restaurant which I expected to be able to review separately but this doesn’t seem to be an option] Ferndale restaurant is not somewhere to grab a “quick bite” but a whole evening’s event to be savored and enjoyed with several unexpected delights not detailed on the menu. Do plan to arrive in the day light to make the most of the wonderful panoramic views from this sumptuous restaurant. There is a surprising number of options for a small restaurant and many more than I’ve seen on even some much bigger places. Some of the courses are ideal if you can’t make up your mind as they include lots of different components. A very up-market “surf and turf” was enjoyed by my husband – a combination of venison with quail, AND tuna with king prawn married together exceptionally well. The vegetables were also very interestingly prepared – so much so I ate (my worst nightmare) cauliflower & really enjoyed it. When the pudding I chose wasn’t available I told Jon to “surprise me” with anything. He certainly did – amazingly picking up on things I’d mentioned I’d enjoyed throughout the meal to present me with a wonderful concoction all of my own. Top marks Jon and backroom team

Room Tip: While I think all the rooms have a good view do try for a sea view one.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keel
Atlantic Breeze B&B
Teach Cruachan
Teach Cruachan
#5 of 27 in Achill Island
Achill Cliff House Hotel

Been to Ferndale Luxury Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!