“Referring to the comment of Summer Dreams nightmare" dated 26.08.13” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Summer Dream Hotel

Summer Dream Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Tholos
Chester, United Kingdom
“Referring to the comment of Summer Dreams nightmare" dated 26.08.13”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Firstly may we apologise to all you people who had taken the time to write a review with the negative comments that my husband and I just basically thought "as well as a lot of other people do" it can't be that bad - and if it was - so what - your holiday is what you make of it"" well - I am one of those people who doesn't use face book etc - but let me just say say that I really / really wish that we had taken more note of your comments. Honestly - if you choose to read this review or not - I will feel a lot better knowing that I had passed the following information on to you. If you are thinking of booking this hotel - then do look at other options first - where can we begin! Having arrived at Summer Dreams hotel in the early hours of Sunday morning 15.09.13, My husband and I were told that the hotel was fully booked and that there was no room available for us but they would try find us another hotel - on making phone calls one was found. We were then put in the back of a van (literally) and transferred to this hotel. No sorry or apologies whatsoever - just bye and we will let you know if a room becomes available, The Manager at the Hotel who took us in was so apologetic for our inconvenience, he himself really did make us feel welcome, over the next few days we built a great rapport with him and he told us confidentially that there were hotels in the area that deliberately overbooked rooms so that if they got cancellations - they could fill their rooms anyway with backups! - But - and I mean BUT!! if there are no cancellations and no rooms are spare - they pass the customer to one of the other hotels to fill their rooms. He told us the names of the hotels - one being " Happy days". The hotel we were put in was not one of these hotels but that they had received many calls as a last resort for stranded English holiday makers. To cut a long story short - the hotel who took us in - were fully booked from the Thursday and we had to find alternative accommodation - they contacted Summer Dreams Hotel each day but still no room available, on the Thursday morning when our room was needed, we sat in the reception area with our bags packed and were told from the Hotel reception that someone from Summer Dreams was coming to pick us up at 10am to take us there - at last - a room for us - um!! so we thought - they turned up at 12:10. On arrival we were told our room wasn't available but if we could hang around for a few hours they could try and sort one out - we were so angry and upset - we said no and that there must be something - the reception lady told us there was a holding room were we could stay for the time being and she took us to it - it was shockingly awful but what other choice did we have? - I can't begin to tell you how bad it was - we walked in the room and in total despair sat down - she said that we could have it for now - my husband said we could not be moved anymore and that we would stay here - we only had three days left anyway. She left us there and that was that - no curtains or anything, we hung up our beach towels at the window so we could get changed, we were on the ground floor with no balcony so totally exposed!! This day was a big wedding anniversary for us and we were so upset and extremely disappointed and felt very let down. Things went from bad to worse from here although the cleaning ladies left some flowers next to our anniversary cards which was kind of sweet - but that could not make amends to the nightmare we had had all week. Highlight of our holiday - meeting and spending time with such a great bunch of people from Liverpool. As far as the hotel go's - never ever ever again. J & G.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Joanie S

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Northallerton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

Spent a week at Summer Dreams 7.9.13 to 14.9.13 and have no complaints at all. It is quiet and very relaxing. The food was nice, especially the salads. The pool bar was well run by a lovely young man and we could get wine and beer from there as well as soft drinks. The night bar was also good - no limit on the number of drinks before 10.30. Give the cocktails a go they are scrummy.
The room was clean, tidy and serviced daily - working fridge too !
Theologos had a few tavernas - the steak at Dundees was fab - but not too keen on the proprietor.
The small taverna before Dundees sells GYRO's for 2 euro and these are definately worth a try.
This is a cheap and cheerful family run hotel doing a great job in a difficult financial climate. If you want higher standards the answer is simple - PAY MORE !
The only thing we missed was a nice beach but with the bus service from Theologos other beaches were accessible if you made the effort.
Thanks to George and all the staff for a nice relaxing time.

Room Tip: There is a newer block of rooms - these may have more up to date decor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kaylouhugill
Huddersfield, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

where to start lol. Stayed 1 week all inclusive. Pool bar 1 member of staff 10.15am to 5.30 pm then closes. Drinks must be alcohol free couldn't get merry.(bar snacks slice of bread with ham or cheese. after lunch in the restraunt remaining food was put on the counter at the pool bar). The main bar opens 6 pm till 10.30pm. Again only I staff so have to que for drinks. At 10pm you can only get 2 drinks at the bar so if you have a family you have to que twice. This caused lots of tension with the guests. What mad it worse the second member of staff would only collect glasses not help serve no matter what. The free drinks finish 10.30 prompt so if your in the que you then have to pay. After 10.30pm a half of weak lager costs you 3.5 eu.
The food is poor and its obvious the hotel is not set up for all inclusive. I would describe the food alike to school meals from the 60s served in stainless steel trays. I was told prison food is better though I cant say from experience.
Theologos is not a resort its a few old hotels and taverners just of the main road, there is absolutely nothing to do you are in prison tied to the hotel. Tried to go into the sea via the so called shingle beach. Only to find they where large boulders that crippled your feet. The current was so strong it dragged you into the water like a rive,r not safe for children in fact never saw anyone in the sea.
The view from the hotel was the large chimneys from the power station about 1 kilometere away beltching out smoke all day lol.
Not all bad though the rooms where kept very clean, the air conditioning worked and it was very hot.

Room Tip: stay at home
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Michael C

Travelers are raving about these Tholos hotels

Bolton, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

We went for a two week holiday. The hotel was extremely basic but generally clean and tidy. The staff were all friendly apart from the terribly grumpy old man on the evening bar who would tut and frown at you if you asked for more than one drink and would point blank to refuse to give me as part of a family of 3 more than 2 drinks after 10.30. Everyone else was pleasant and courteous.

Here are the bad points:

The all inclusive is misleading. There are times of the day you cannot get a drink, even water.

The pool bar snacks are somewhat of a let down. Dried bread, soggy cheese and highly processed ham that hasn't seen a pig in years is hardly very appetising. Nor is the pizza thats hours since it saw the oven.

When asking for water at the pool bar, they offer tap water in a country

In the evening the bar for all inclusive shuts at 10.30 and there is always a huge queue.

The old man that often serves drinks provides them in kids plastic containers, offers half measures whilst grunting, and if you ask for more than one, and then proceeds to refuse to give 3 drinks, only 2 to a family of 3 at an ALL INCLUSIVE.

On one night all the drinks tasted of washing up liquid and some were simply undrinkable.
In the dining room, there are hardly any glasses. So often it's only possible to get a drink later on in the evening in temperatures of over 30 degrees.

The maid comes in and empties the bin but doesn't both to make the beds or change sheets.

It's in the middle of nowhere with no where close to visit of an evening.

In the evenings the bar doesn't have enough seats and we had to stand up for an hour.

During the day there is no one on the main bar to serve drinks.

There are sharp things and grit in the pool

The pool water is dirty. You can't see your own feet.

There aren't enough sun loungers by the pool and some of them are broken

There's no ceiling light in the bathroom.

There are limited lights in the room so it's poor for reading a book at night.

There's a fridge (with a no light) and a little stove but no pans!

The Internet is terribly slow over WiFi (when it works).

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
6 Thank Richard H
Surrey Hills, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

We visited Summer Dreams Apts in Theologos end of July 2013 staying for one week, all-inclusive. Whilst the staff were friendly and helpful and rooms clean but basic, there was a foul odour outside our room. We stayed initially in room 122 behind the pool and next to the pool toilet and the smell from the drains was foul, smelling of faeces. We were unable to open our balcony door let alone sit out on the balcony.
We asked to be moved the first evening and were told we could the next day and we were moved further down the corridor to room 127. The terrible smell was still in the corridor but luckily could not be smelt once in our room.
We were told that we would be swapped with new tourists who were given our first room despite being told about the foul odour and we noted that the next occupants also moved rooms and the room was given to a 3rd party.
The steps down to our room was concrete and unlit at night, making them dangerous.
The food was ok but had limited variety for my vegetarian daughter.
Fizzy drinks available at the pool bar were flat and bar snacks dried bread and cheese
.We knew the resort was quiet which was a plus for us but the resort was almost desolate and the hotels' evening entertainment comprised of one karaoke night only.
As this holiday was to be a last family holiday before my daughter gets married next year we were very disappointed with the hotel

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Jeanette L
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We got this trip at a really very good price. I would recommend as value for money as we paid for a family of four for two weeks £726.72. Not bad compared to the same period in a caravan in Cornwall self catering would be twice as much. The area is very nice and quiet - peaceful.

I would say this hotel is a good base to see the fabulous island of Rhodes. It is a family hotel. We spent two weeks here, and hired a car for a week in the middle of our stay. Two weeks of depending totally on this hotel for stimulation would be very boring.
The food is ample and you won't go hungry. My family fits a wide demographic. I eat everything, my 9 year old daughter tries everything, my 8 year old son lives on chips and my husband is coelic - gluten intolerant and I would say we did find a lot to eat, if a bit repetitive. Lots of nice salad! But I think I was hoping for a bit more seafood - being on an island and all!
Food are at set times and the Pool bar snacks are ghastly!! Dried bread and cheese in the hot sun!! Sometimes pizza slices!!
You do not get the same as most other all inclusive - food at all times of the day. But the price reflects this. You should think if it as full board - 3 meals a day.
Do NOT go here if you like what you like and are not able to enjoy other dishes! It is your holiday you must do what makes you happy.
This hotel seems to be ticking over while lots of others in the area have closed up. The recession has hit them as with everyone. They are running on minimal staff who work ever so hard and try their best.
I will say however, our room was barely touched by the cleaners, they made such a lot of noise as if they were doing a lot and on more than a few occasions just changed the bin liner in the room!! In the end I just told them not to bother and we made our own bed up and wiped the floor with a bath mat!
The kitchen staff were the best - nice sisters who work so hard, they are there from dawn to well past dusk.
In the restaurant there was never enough glasses - sounds dumb to say this, but when you go to eat you would like to get some water and lots of times you would have to wait for a wash to come out. This was not the fault of the staff - just not enough to go around and the management should replenish stock - things get broken etc over a year!!
The old guy at the evening bar was quite rude to my daughter when she went to get 4 cokes for the 4 of us. He quite upset her and told her that "You kids were drinking too much!!" What an idiot. In the end my daughter would only get us a drink if the nice girl was serving.
I think they overbook all the time as we were put for one night in a different room until they had one ready for us and then the lady at the front desk came to find me and we had to move in 3 minutes - I think this was because they had someone for the room they had temporarily put us into, because when I had finally sorted out our stuff for the second time and was leaving the room I saw people going into the room we had just vacated. My husband was on the net in reception for a few hours one morning and witnessed the same situation with other people just checking is as well. I don't know why they would make life hard for themselves by doing this. Weird!
The beds were HHHHAAAAAARRRRDDDDD!!!! Think of a foam exercise mat on a concrete base!! I have put my back out and have to go the chiropractors asap!! If you have pre existing back aches DON'T go here. I am sitting with an ice pack as we speak!
We don't ever go back to the same place anyway - the world is too big a place and there is so much to see elsewhere so we won't probably go back here. But if you want to see this beautiful ancient island then this is not a bad BASE, but take some spending money to go out and about.

1 Thank SIRMEELA M
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Just got back this weekend from a great weeks stay at Summer Dream Hotel we were a bit apprehensive after reading some reviews on here but thought we would give the hotel a chance, we landed Saturday the 17th at 10.00pm and easily got a taxi from the airport for 13euros (as the hotel is only 15mins or so away don't get stung with transfer fees a taxi is always available)
We arrived at the hotel and was greeted by Mike the manager who was very friendly and polite Mike quickly sorted the paperwork out and showed us to our rooms and also helped with our luggage. Our room was lovely, clean and well presented with good working air con. After sorting our cases we went for a drink at the bar and as the all inclusive had finished we didn't expect but we were given free drinks and made very welcome by the bar staff.
Through out the week the food was absolutely fine there was plenty of choice for everyone - I don't know what people were moaning about as there was always something different at every meal sitting! and there was certainly not as many flies as others have put on here unless I am blind this was a running joke with me and my partner trying to spot these so called flies.
The rooms were infact cleaned daily and fresh bedding and towels were provided - the staff at Summer Dream work so hard and do not get the credit they deserve some bad mannered people are out there that only write reviews to moan your holiday is what YOU make of it go there with an open mind and appreciate that it's not home from home.
Hotel facilities were great no kids club but that's not something we go on holiday for just to dump your child on someone else, there is plenty of children there and they make friends easily, when your by the pool it's great to see all the kids playing and you can see them around the whole pool area and park, the pool bar is good plenty of choices for drink I will say that they do need to improve the choice of snacks - maybe use left overs from lunch would be a good idea?
In the evening we went out a few times but we also stayed in the bar meeting other people and getting to know the staff which was nice, there is also air hockey and a pool table for a couple of euros (my son loved this he fleeced us).
I would recommend hiring a car if your are the sort of family like us that enjoys exploring a new place - Pegasus car hire are fantastic and five mins walk away from the hotel Peter the owner will be more than happy to help and is cheaper than the rest he also recommends the places to see and supplies you with a map - this came in handy when we got a little lost coming back from Lindos.
All in all we had a fantastic weeks stay at Summer Dream if the Management are reading this thank you once again and we will see you early next season (Joshua is looking forward to spending his 7th Birthday there)
Mark, Amy and Joshua x

Room Tip: The apartments at the far end of the pool where we stayed was very nice
2 Thank Amy B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tholos
Meliton Hotel
#5 of 15 in Lardos
Hotel Solemar
Hotel Solemar
#85 of 129 in Rhodes Town

Been to Summer Dream Hotel? Share your experiences!