“Not Very Good”
Review of Doreta Beach Hotel

Doreta Beach Hotel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Tholos
Reviewed September 18, 2008

I have never ever written a review about any hotel I have stayed in, it's quite strange really because I have travelled alot. I was a travel agent for 9 years & a branch manager for 5 years so please listen to what I have to say. The hotel is clean & big, the rooms (upgraded rooms) are very nice & clean & we had a great sea view, however the food, I cant say it was awful but it wasn't great & there was hardly any choice, it was the same for lunch & dinner, this resulted in us going into Rhodes town every night, it takes 45 mins to 1 hour to get there but was well worth the journey. The reason I booked this hotel is because I used to book one of my customers there every year & she loved it, but I have been out of travel for nearly 2 years now so the hotel could have gone down hill since then. Tholos has 2 bars 2 supermarkets & 2- 3 car rental shops & thats it. This hotel would be ok for a family or older clientle not looking for a bit of luxury & just wants to stay around the hotel. I hope this helps as I read the reviews before booking & most said it was really good but to be totally honest it's not all that.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nicpipblue
There are newer reviews for Doreta Beach Hotel

Reviewed September 9, 2008

This was our first foray into the all-inclusive holiday and it will definitely be our last. It was a big mistake. We ended up in a large hotel surrounded by loud, obnoxious, sunburnt British people and wasps; watching truely awful 'entertainment' and eating the same bland boring food every day.

This hotel was such a disappoinment as we had splashed out on a 4 star hotel hoping for some luxury, but I've been to much better 1 star hotels and paid a fraction of the price.

The food available is catered to the Bristish market so you get none of the fantastic tasty Greek cuisine. I really wish we hadn't gone all inclusive as then we could have left the hotel and eaten in some authentic Greek restaurants and had some decent food.

The public areas of this hotel are horribly crowded with British families. There are wasps everywhere because there is uncleared away food and drink everywhere. The beach is OK but directly under the flight path for the airport, so it's not very relaxing.

Our room was clean and quite nice - must have been one of the recently refurbished rooms. But it was hard to sleep due to the constant noise from the karaoke bars across the road.

The real problem with this hotel is the clientele; if I'd wanted to be surrounded by British families I would have gone to Blackpool. There were some particularly vile people staying at the hotel when we were there. On our last night we were woken up by a family having a huge argument in the corridor which climaxed with a man physically beating up his daughter for dating a black man. If that is the type of person you want to associate with then stay at this hotel!

Rhodes itself is a lovely island, both Old Town Rhodes and Lindos have some fantastic, interesting old buildings. I would definitely recommend visiting the island, just don't stay at this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2008

We returned from our family holiday to Doreta Beach two weeks ago, my husband, myself and our two children(aged 6 and 9) and I can honestly say we all had a fantastic time.
The hotel is right on the beach and the pools are great, but be warned, in the main pool there isnt a shallow end. So if your child isnt a confident swimmer go for the childrens pool. (There is a life-guard on duty) The only slight problem that we had was getting a sun-bed, there are enough, but if you want to be right by the pool you need to get there before breakfast as competition for the best spot is fierce!!! Also, if you put your towels on the sunbeds to reserve them the management will remove them, which didnt go down very well with a lot of guests.
The food is really great, good variety and really fresh and well cooked. All of the staff are helpful and friendly and work really hard.
This hotel is one of the cleanest hotels we've stayed in, it really is spotless. The maids cleaned our room every day and all of the public areas were really clean.
Having read other reviews we thought we would be cheeky and ask if they had a room on the third floor, as it has been recently refurbished, luckily they did and it was a beautiful room with all mod cons.
There is quite a lot of aircraft noise, but we quite enjoyed seeing the planes go over and didnt see this as a negative thing at all.
The entertainment staff work hard, day and night, but we didnt really enjoy their evening entertainment (its all a bit hi-de-hi) and preferred to spend our evenings at the bar by the pool. The kids did enjoy the kids club and the daily dance at poolside.

2  Thank Bigbird10
Reviewed September 6, 2008

We stayed at the Doreta Beach hotel in August 2008.

The resort is in a superb position. The staff is fantastic and we cannot fault them at all. The night porter was very helpful as well.

We arrived on the Sunday evening and was booked in by the Night Porter (I had read reviews about this chap and so was a little concerned beforehand) - to be honest he had a joke about my husband’s passport and was very helpful after I returned to the reception as there were no towels in our room.

The Restaurant Manager (Billie) was an absolute star as my husband accidentally broke his foot 4 days into our holiday (I must stress this was NOT the hotels fault). He would find us a table right by the door and was brilliant with our twin daughters aged 10. The food in the restaurant is of a very good standard. We loved the pasta. I would say though, it took us to the last day before I realised you could cook your own toast in the morning but that was my fault. All in all Billie is brilliant and looked after us as thought we were royalty. He runs an excellent restaurant and we liked the fact he had a dress code. Basically he wouldn't let people in wearing bikinis or men wearing shorts. My husband wore long trousers the first night but was relived to see men wearing 3/4 length trousers that were acceptable.

Billie speaks very good English, we noticed he always makes time for his guests and on speaking to him he has been there 24 years. Guests come back year after year and greet him like a long lost friend.

Our rep was from You Travel (Theresa) - what a lovely lady - she kindly organised our trip and very efficiently sorted things out for us when my husband broke his foot - I can honestly say she was brilliant.

The receptionists are all very friendly too - Please do ask them if you need anything - I asked them for a kettle, cups, fan, towels etc and within minutes they had the housekeepers bring them to our room.

Our room was dated - we had a maisonette (B6) which was dated but very clean. Our beds were changed every day with clean towels.

Our only critisms are:

1) The entertainment is rubbish, the animation staff are very sweet but too immature to cope with the number of people. The only night we enjoyed the entertainment was with the Greek dancers.

2) The pool - yes is very deep but fortunately we can all swim

3) The room was dated and the A/C was positioned downstairs so my daughter and I cooked upstairs

The Good Points

1) Great location

2) Staff very friendly - watch the barmen when they make you a drink (infact have you camera ready) - they are very talented.

3) Very Clean

4) Lovely Food

Our holiday unfortunately, was ruined with my husband breaking his foot, but we will be back in a couple of year’s time. The staff were all so helpful that all the negatives are certainly outweighed by the positives.

I have looked on the net and was also confirmed by the rep this hotel will be a 5* hotel next year with amphitheatre, water slides etc. Oh, the work on the hotel has stopped so do not worry about noise etc.

I hope you have a great holiday.

1  Thank gemtan
Reviewed September 1, 2008

This was our first family holiday abroad with our 3 year old son and also our honeymoon. After booking our holiday with First Choice we read some of the reviews on trip advisor and to be honest were petrified of the holiday we had booked. Needless to say we were wrong to be worried.
We arrived at Doreta at 3.45 in the morning to be met by the night porter that almost every review went on about. He allocated our room quickly and was very efficient. We happened to be on the 2nd floor and yes in the early hours of the morning we were not overly impressed. On waking the first thing we did was to look out on our balcony to be welcomed by a lovely view of the sea! The room was very clean and had everything you would need for the weeks stay. Yes, it could of been more modern, and a better shower would of been great but for the amount of time we spent in the room it was totally fine.
All of the people that complain about the food need to stay at home, as we found the food fantastic. The staff were always kind and very welcoming. The variety was also very good. People that complain about the amount of chips or veal obviously did not see the huge amounts of other meat and potato dishes on offer. There was also loads of different salads and greek dishes. The pasta bar was a firm favourite and also the dessert counter, much to my husbands annoyance as he is diabetic!
The pool area was fantastic, our 3 year old son absolutely loved both the childrens pool and the main pool. The main pool is very deep but with a careful eye, fine. The lifeguard was useless spent most of her time behind the bar emptying the dishwasher!
Evening entertainment was poor and started quite late, but all inclusive is definatley the way to go. Our only main problem was the rudeness of the german holiday makers. Plenty of sun beds to go round but the pool staff go round at about half 7am to remove towels much to the germans annoyance! Did cause a few problems as, as its there tradition they feel they should be allowed to reserve. The beach was pebbly, you should definately wear shoes, but lovely clear and warm water. The water sports were good especially the banana catamaran costing 12 euros.
Overall a fab hotel and fantastic holiday. Will be definately going back!

2  Thank buckygirl
Reviewed August 18, 2008

i went this hotel in 2007 and i thought id have a quick look at reviews to see if things had changed much sounds like it hasnt the sunbeds at the time wasnt a problem as there was plenty on the beach which wasnt that far away but the food was fairly bad,
we paid for all inclusive but we ate out 2-3 times in the evening and there was an english bar over the road that did a fairly cheap english breakfast.

entertainment was pretty awful but you can easily jump a bus into the old town or the night life on the other side and get a taxi back when i was there the all inclusive bar used to stop at about 10.30 from then on they charged so most people ended up in one of the local bars.

the hotel was fairly cheap and basic , but on the whole not a bad deal for the price although we had gone through travelbargains at the time and alot of people had paid double what we had for the same hotel so pays to shop around.

Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed August 14, 2008

this is a fab hotel and a holiday of a life time. first time to go all inclusive and was the right choice to choose this hotel for the first time. we will never go back to self catering after this holiday. the food was amazing and so much choice for adults and children. the staff were helpfull and well mannered. the only down side is that the day time staff at the pool bar were under staff and you would have to wait quite a long time before you had your drink. but this would never stop us returning as we may be returning next summer.
sian from south wales!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank XxD4NI3LL3xX
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tholos
Alex Beach Hotel
Filoxenia Hotel Apartments
Electra Palace Rhodes
Electra Palace Rhodes
#2 of 31 in Ialyssos

Been to Doreta Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!