“5 Stars Is Not Enough!”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Ko Yao Yai
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“5 Stars Is Not Enough!”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This place is absolutely amazing! From the transfers from the airport to the marina dn then speedboat to the island, everything was perfect! First, the speedboat to the island is very lovely and when our car arrived to the marina from the airport there was a nice man, Mr. Don waiting for us who showed us to a nice waterfront restaurant/bar where we received complimetary juices, water and sodas while we waited. The we were taken to the speedboat, which is quite large and covered and very comfortable. We were given water and then taken on about a 20 minute ride to Koh Yao Yai Island. Even the boat ride is beautiful as you get to pass a couple of lovely rock island on the way there that they slow to let you take photos of. Mr. Don even took some pictures of my husband and I when we stopped. When we arrived at the island, we were stunned by the natural beauty. It was beautiful. There was a nice vehicle waiting at the end of the pier to take us to the main lobby/front desk to check in. We had scented refreshing towels brough to us along with ice cold fresh watermelon juice. We then met the Manager and after a quick and painless check in were taken to our ocean view pool villa. The villa was amazing, I have never stayed at a more beautiful place and I have stayed at a lot of very beautiful resorts around the resort. The villa is made entirely of teak wood, as well as all the furniture and is very private. It ists on the side of a cliff over the ocean with a nice sized balcony with chaise lounges, a table and chairas and of course a beautiful private infinity pool! We were in love instantly! We didn't even leave our villa the first night, just enjoyed our compliemntary bottle of wine and ordered room service that was served to us on our balcony on the ocean! Thes rest of our stay was just perfect. The ocean view pool villas are very large, with a bedroom, huge open air bathroom with covered and also outdoor shower, a dressing room and a living room and balcony. There is also a sunken outdoor tub off the bathroom with views of the pool,and ocean. This was the perfect vacation, relaxing and rejuvenating. We ate all of our meals at the resort, which there are not many other options on the island, but every meal was delicious. Breakfast was included and is a really nice breakfast buffet. We also took a boat tour to Hong Krabi Island and went snorkeling for the day on several of the nearby island, this trip was also incredible and we got to spend lots of tiem on remote beaches on small rock islands. This is run by the hotel and is about 7-8 hoyrs long. The boat they use is awesome, a traditional wooden Thai boat, complete with prayer scarves hanging off the front! The guide Pol was great and he even stopped by his home on the way home for us to try a delicious warm rice treat his wife was making for a religious holiday. This is the best vacation we have ever had and we would love to visit again, our only regret was not staying longer! Koh Yao Yai is pure paradise! This would be an amazing place for a honeymoon, as there is complete privacy and seclusion in your villa!

Room Tip: Ocean View pool villa is the best!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kelly123456
LloydMaravilla, General Manager at Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Kelly123456,

"5 Star is Not Enough"

It's wonderful thing that we have received from your feedback that able us to see that we achieved the standard we trying to implement.

Your awesome words and for those names that you have mentioned were very helpful that yourself notice this personal touch from us.

I would like to thank for your time and satisfaction during your stay with us.

Mr. Lloyd B. Maravilla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My wife and I have visited all-star hotels in over 100 countries all over the world. We arrived at the Santhiya resort on our own. We were greeted politely at the gate. An employee accompanied us to the reception. On the way we noticed all the persons we met got up, placed their palms together touching their chins with their middle fingers, bowed down and greeted us sawasdee (welcome!) Further down when we got off the buggy whole rows of employees did exactly the same as we walked to the reception. For a moment I thought they bowed down in front of some royalty. Then I found myself frantically searching my ancestry whether I had some royal roots myself …or my wife!

We took a deep seat at the reception, offered a cool towel and a glass of delicious ice-cold watermelon juice.

The gen. manager Mr. Lloyd Maravilla, waited discretely on the side through our checking-in procedures and then he visited with us, introduced himself, asked us whether we had any special requests and made small, happy talk. He assured us that he and the management will do anything possible to make our stay a real pleasure.

Every so often he made it a point to find us to make sure we were enjoying ourselves all through our stay at the resort. Not only that. Almost every time we dined we saw Mr. Maravilla paying short visits to guests in addition to keeping an eye on everything so the resort ran smoothly. We are very impressed with employees like the ever-present general manager. Very outgoing, friendly, business-like and efficient. Executives like him make you want to come back to a resort/hotel with service like this again and again.

Then two young ladies escorted us to our villa. In the most professional and friendly way, Sissi showed us around, explaining every little detail of the villa. The feeling we got was that we had just bought this magnificent villa, even for a short time…

The over 150 sq. m. villa is really well thought and built. You have breathtaking sea-views from either the living room or the bedroom as well as the hall connecting the two. The 35+ private salt water swimming pool is superbly positioned, the deck also.

A welcoming bottle of red wine and cake for our wedding anniversary made our arrival special. Also, little things like sending us mid-day snacks and such added to the wonderful feeling of an enjoyable stay.

Now, the resort itself is built on the slope of a mountain with thick vegetation a short drive north of the Loh Jark Pier. However, only what vegetation is necessary to build the villas and narrow enough for two buggies roads is eliminated. You feel you are in the natural environment of the island.

The beach is well-cared for and inviting. Strolling on the extra long sandy beach is a must-do. Swimming's good too especially when the tide is high.

In the evenings we were greeted at the restaurant the same way. The servers worked like a well-oiled smiling machine under Dean, the floor manager’s, watchful eye. Among the best a few servers stood out, however, Ratha and Rickey. Dinner and breakfast are delicious especially when you order Thai food, what else would you order in Thailand, burgers, Frankfurters or pizza?

The last day of our stay rained a lot. The rain is ferocious and quick in this part of the world. Even so we got in our pool and it was like we were under a warm shower. One drawback is the mosquitoes especially after rain. They have electric traps and liquid devices installed. They do the job but not quite. We believe screen doors could be an additional measure otherwise the guests have to be locked inside with the air-conditioning going on all the time. I'd rather have the refreshing sea-breeze entering my villa however.

We were impressed that a 7-month young resort was so efficient in providing the best of services. In addition, we noticed they were building afar (noise is non-existent or minimal) some 50 more villas (we were told) and a building which will be the 60 sq.m. each deluxe superior rooms section with magnificent sea-views and the superb looking, overlooking the Indian Ocean, Spa building. All cleverly lost in the thick vegetation of the mountain. My wife and I owe a big thanks to the gen. manager Mr. Maravilla who was kind enough to show us around.

We are already making plans for visiting again in the Spring.

Theo V.

Room Tip: A tip, try search-engines for better rates, especially US based ones.
2 Thank Theo V
LloydMaravilla, General Manager at Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Theo V,

Greetings from Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa!

"FOR THE ONES WITH DISCRIMINATING TASTE ON A BUDGET"

I don't know where should I start after receiving this feedback from you with appreciation and gratitude for your time to render this comment.
Thank you for those names that you have mentioned that gave both of you the top edged of your expectation.
Nevertheless, we will keep up this recognition and maintain it well for those future guests that we will stay at Santhiya.

Bangalore, India
Reviewed October 4, 2013

During our 7 days trip to Thailand in Feb 2013, my husband and I decided to spend 2 days in the beautiful Koh Yao Yai island. During planning, Santhiya caught my eye and seemed to be the perfect place. Even though it hadn't opened yet at the time we were planning and had no reviews to form any opinion from, my darling husband booked it for me :) And my expectations were not just met, they were surpassed by all means! The resort is luxurious and very well designed. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a peaceful vacation in a serene and beautiful 5 star place and is ready to spend a bit more for that ;)

Getting there - We took a ferry from Phuket (Ban Rong Pier) to Klong Hia Pier and were there in half an hour, easy and enjoyed that ride as well :) From the pier we hired a taxi to reach the resort. It is a small island so not many taxi options but you can try to negotiate on the rates if you have good skills.
For our return journey we hired the taxi through Heimat Gardens (which is near Santhiya). You can also rent bikes for a day from here.

Resort - We stayed in an ocean view pool villa. Outside - a private pool and a deck next to it to relax and enjoy the ocean view. The interiors - very tastefully done, everything is made of teak wood. The view from the comfortable and cozy bedroom bed was stunning- you see the pool and beyond that the ocean - it was breathtaking!! After two days, I was left wanting for more!
The villas are uphill and carts are always available. I noticed that we could see a very small area of another villa's backyard, not too much of a concern for me though, if it is then one can opt for villas at a higher level to avoid this.

Coming to the service - excellent. Everything was in order and if anything needed, it was just a call away. Our basket of fruits was there everyday.
I experienced Thai hospitality in it's true sense here. Everyone was very polite and ready to help if needed. During the ride from the restaurant/reception to the villa, we could see that people working to maintain the garden would stop their work to greet us!

Food - Breakfast was standard with decent options. We had dinner at the resort restaurant on both nights and it was good. It is a bit expensive as expected. The restaurant is on the beach so you get an amazing view. We had lunch at the nearby Heimat Gardens (walking distance via the beach route or the road as well) which was also good and not expensive. There are some other options also available nearby so you are not stuck with what the resort has to offer.

We did all the activities and adventure in Phuket and came here for relaxation. We left happy and rejuvenated! Overall a wonderful experience!

Room Tip: Choose an ocean view pool villa if u can and at a higher level to get utmost privacy.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Anshika03
Dear Anshika03,

Greetings from Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa!

" Serene, relaxing, rejuvenating holiday"

It's a wonderful feedback and comment that we have received and satisfaction was been meet above standard.

This gave us another prestigious appreciation of our devoted time and effort from the daily responsibilities.

Reassured that we will preserve this and see to it that everybody have being serve as expected.

Hopefully there will be time for you to visit us again.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Arrived at Phuket Airport and was greeted by the driver who took us to the pier. There was a staff who was there waiting for us and provided some refreshments at the cafe and free wifi services was available as we waited for the speed boat.
Arrived at the resort with a every staff smiling and greeting
us as we walk in to the reception. There, we were treated with a delicious welcome drink as we waited for our room to be ready. There was a very friendly Korean receptionist on attachment and also a Thai lady which gave us good information on the vicinity.

The room was amazing with a spectacular view facing the sea, a private pool, jacuzzi and a large toilet space. The resort provides daily complimentary fruits and water and have a driver to pick you up each time u decide to go for a meal / gym / Main pool/ rent a DVD or some complimentary activities which the hotel provides for their guest. ( eg. cooking class , Muay Thai lessons or snorkeling lessons ).
Tours were available and pricing depends on whether you prefer a private or joint tour.
We went on a private long tail boat trip to Hong Krabi and the experience was amazing. Our guide Hod was friendly yet professional and made sure safety was out first priority.
There was only one Menu ( Thai/ Western cuisine) but the Food was above average and the bisque is a must try. I would also reccomend the mojito or the virgin mojito.
The GM Lloyd and Manager Dean was really helpful for helping me set up a birthday surprise cake( complimentary ) and got the band and staff to sing for my fiancé as well.

Was given a late check out at 1pm upon request.
The hotel provided a minimum rate upon request to other resort location at Phuket which We was residing for one more night . The driver , Mann and a fellow staff stationed in Phuket was also providing information and advising me where the places of interest on my way to
other resort .He even went the extra mile to drop me to get some tickets for a Muay Thai match , waited for me and send me back to my original location.

My overall experience was amazing .Not just the detailed architecture, location , F and B or tours but the people/ service was above expectations and most importantly genuine.

Would very much like to keep this place a secret but it's only fair to give them recognition .

Thank you once again for the amazing experience and will come back soon.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear MatthewQ1987,

"A Perfect Getaway"

Thank you for your most thoughtful review and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us! It is always wonderful to hear when a guest is pleased with the product and service, and it is through such support and feedback like yours that our Team Member continues to be inspired to provide impeccable service each day.

We truly appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed September 30, 2013

There is always a danger that delivery does not meet expectation, in fact the hotel industry is simply all about these two things, The 'Promise' and the 'Delivery'. Guest expectations are based on the promise, and their experience is based off the delivery.

Santhiya's promise is - in their own words - 'Resort and Spa' and a 'World Class restaurant' priced very reasonably in my opinion. When your looking for villa only hotels with uninterupted sea views, private pools and only 1 hr or so from Phukets airport you could easily compare Santhiya with the Six Senses or Trisara, or Four Seasons in Lankawi, and you would be amazed at how much cheaper Santhiya is compared to the branded 5* resorts, which in turn offer less in the way of provate space that Santhiya for 4 or 5 times the price. There you pay for the brand, and the service and when its not right, guests hav ethe right to complain. Yet at Santhiya, a Grand Pool Villa will set you back $300 a night or so, over 300sq m of space, private pool, Sea View and lots of charm. However, depending on where your expectations lie or your luxury sensitivity barometer sits, Santhiya could well be a huge dissappointment.

This 5* luxury resort and Spa is 1 year old. It has been beautifully crafted but terribly designed, almost entirely of wood. many different woods, all weathering at different paces.

The Spa - IS NOT A SPA, it is two spa beds in a spare bedroom. How is it a hotel company can design a resort hotel in 2012 and not build in a spa? The spa, is basically room 1, two beds in a room, with no door (so you can simply hear everyone in the lobby). Welcome drink was cold apple juice from the bottle and the Air Conditioner was directly above the bed, with NO towels available in the spa to cover up with and no place to shower after? Mis representation....

The 'World Class' restaurant, is limited. Staff do not speak english - ie, Please could I have some milk? No idea... or Do you sell Hamburgers? No.... but they do.. Ceasar Salad had tomato ketchup on it?

On the plus side - Thai food was good - then again it should be. Cocktails were average, and everything from cutlery to wine glasses has the Santhiya logo on it? Why? (Sorry, bit fussy).

With an onshore breeze and bad weather, the restaurant and bar area is redundant, Guests are forced inside, begging the question, why come here in off season??

Rooms - vast for what you pay for... comfy bed, good AC, good TV's, lots of effort, but a;ready dated and some DESIGN issues such as Leaking roof (if this had been over our bed, we would have left), Mice running around the rafters, Water coming through windows in heavy rain, then being soaked up by curtains and creating a damp environment, bathroom at the back, dark and not great for ladies.

Given how badly this pace has been designed and made I expect each villa will need to undergo re-sanding and varnishing every year. Hence on our first morning i was woken by construction noise from the villa next door. At 7am....

The overall construction of the place is odd... large concrete roads connecting all the villas, mudslides coming off the hills, additional construction going on behind the main pool and above the villas, gives the sense that they are undergoing at least another year of work.

We arrived by boat from Ao Po (which is a construction site as well) and were driven in the back, through a construction site and under the pool, through a manky tunnel. All very weird and not great first impression.

Ok - with all that off my chest, Ill finish with - we stayed and enjoyed ourselves, mostly in bed with a movie and enjoying the view. If you want elevated sea view this place has it, at a fraction of the price of Conrad Samui or Six Senses. Clearly many people have loved this place, and with the right expectations, why not, propel are lovely and service is 'we make an effort'.

My advice to Santhiya would be to keep trying, get the staff trained up and speaking english and build a proper spa, for a hotel that is remote with nothing to do, you should not be selling this hotel as a spa. if the weather is bad, it is the only service you offer, and therefore most likely to not meet expectations.

I have left a review simply because I used TA to help guide mt to Santhiya. You have a formula that leaves most guests happy, and we are happy, however there are some Standard Operating Procedures that need attention such as :
Your welcome letter says you will Turndown the room - in 4 days this was never done.
No new Towels were ever put in our bathroom.
Noise travels in this resort, hence you need to manage construction noise.
Breakfast could do with an upgrade (Still a little bit 3*, ie my poached aggs were brought to me in a bowl) - Coffee was good though.

Good luck Santhiya - huge undertaking and great that a small brand hotel company are doing good things in this space.

4 Thank asiaflavour
Dear asiaflovour,

"Struck in the middle"

I received your feedback it sad to say that your not happy on the way it should be or expectation.
Yes! we newly resort just 10 months at this moment and lot of adjustment should be done.
Actually we have the Spa which still under construction and what we have option villa for this service as temporary.
But if you can see a lot of good comment that being written from the previous guests that stayed with us.
It's not an excuse just want to say that we have proven ourself that we can achieved the standard of service that guests looking for their satisfaction.

I hope there will a chance to serve in the near future..........

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 25, 2013

The facilities were excellent. The staff were attentive and friendly. There was every opportunity for us to have a relaxing holiday in a scenic location. The villa (Grand Pool Villa Suite) was spacious and clean, with a great view over the ocean. We enjoyed the day trip to Phi Phi Island and snorkeling, the guides were very informative and helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed the Thai cooking class presented by the chef which has inspired us to try some more Thai cooking at home. The meals at the restaurant, both Thai and Western, were delicious, well presented and reasonably priced. We particularly enjoyed the cocktails at happy hour! The spa centre had some excellent options and we found the staff there were professional and the treatments very relaxing. Overall it was the perfect holiday to relax and unwind. This is not really a destination we would recommend for children - it is more of an adult retreat. We would recommend this as a holiday destination for anyone wanting a relaxing break away, and we would love to return!

Room Tip: The Grand Pool Villa Suite has room for 4 adults (1 double bed, 2 single beds), on 2 levels, with 2...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank E W
LloydMaravilla, General Manager at Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear EW,

Greetings from Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa!

"The perfect relaxing holiday"

Thank you for such complimentary remarks. We are elated to hear that you had terrific stay with us! Our staff is truly our greatest asset and we are so happy that you felt well taken care off during that time.

As you said, this can be ideal for the traveller who simply wishes to avoid the crowds during the high season. And of course, it is always refreshing to get away to the beach, to the privacy and to the seclusion during a short escape from our every day’s hectic life.

We appreciate you taking the time to write this review.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Our experience at Santhiya was really brilliant, the service was excellent, place was clean and so pleasant to stay in, and our private pool villa was out of this world. We were treated like royalty throughout the whole trip. If you're looking to do activities this might not be the place for you as the island is not very developed, unless you take one of the resort's day trips to another island.
We wanted a peaceful relaxing holiday and thats exactly what we got.
The food at the restaurant was amazing, we tried a different dish each day and everything was brilliant. Bit pricey, but not extortionate.
Would definitely recommend this place to any honeymooners or couples wanting a quiet holiday.

Room Tip: The higher the room the better, (1203) because then nobody else from other villas can see you and yo...
1 Thank Zahra D
Dear Zahra D,

"Amazing holiday!!!"

Your feedback was highly appreciated for the experience that you have felt during your stay with us.

I hope you can come back in the future to visit this secluded Island.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ko Yao Yai
#2 of 6 in Ko Yao Yai
Paradise KohYao
Paradise KohYao
#4 of 7 in Ko Yao Noi

Been to Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!