“wonderful place for Honeymoon ♥”

Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Ko Yao Yai
Reviewed August 22, 2013

we went there for sweet honey moon ♥ impressed the first time at santhiya resort & spa
very relaxing place especially the room , in room swimming pool and very green environment and
Staff are really nice & friendly & professional they have service in mind,It is perfect in everything ,Will definitely come back again ♥

Room Tip: Santhiya Royal Grand Pool Villa Suites very nice room & view with pool
5  Thank ThippyThailand
LloydMaravilla, General Manager at Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear ThippyThailand,

Greetings from Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa!

" wonderful place for Honeymoon"

I would like to thank you for the good feedback that you have render for your experience with us.

I hope that your return will be soon......

Mr. Lloyd B. Maravilla

Write a ReviewReviews (2,429)

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We had visited several Asian countries such as Malaysia, Vietnam, Thai, Singapore, etc and a few times respectively.
I recommend this hotel strongly. Firstly, Staffers are very kind and warm even those who work for construction. Secondly, it does not cost so much to do anything in the hotel such as leisure tour, spa, foods, drinks. It goes without saying that the facilities are very good and useful.

Room Tip: Bring insecticide, insect repellent, itch medication with you. You can't avoid mosquito complete...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
LloydMaravilla, General Manager at Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear _2013234,

Greetings from Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa!

"Thank you for our excellent family vacation"

It's good to received this feedback that state the satisfaction of the family during your stay at Santhiya.

This enable us to over look the out come of every guests that spending time with us and having our quality of service from all department concerned the entire stay.

I would like to invite again the family to visit us in the future .

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Our very first impression was Wow. From the moment we were transported by speed boat from the Marina to arrival at the resort. We put ourselves in their hands and were not disappointed. We were looking for a resort to relax and unwind. Mr Loyd and his competent staff were excellent and attentive without being all over you. Our Villa was stunning, with a gorgeous view. It was very private, and had everything we needed, plus more.
The resort offered us a great place to relax, and also a great base to explore further afield on the island and nearby islands. The resort offered excellent trips that were fully catered for without breaking the bank. We also hired a motor bike at a reasonable price to explore the islands ourselves, and were helped with advise from the staff as to where to go. We would recommend to anyone who wants to get away from the crowds to stay at this resort. It is a truly echo resort, we saw wild monkeys playing on the beach, and also near our villa. The beach was virtually deserted even though the resort was booked out. The food was fantastic, with a very good choice on the menu. We ate Thai meals every night which were superb.
Thank you Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa for our amazing holiday.
PS My husband has requested beer coolers for next time.

Room Tip: Our room was 2012 which we found was perfect for getting some exercise if you wanted to. It was also...
1  Thank StuartT321
LloydMaravilla, General Manager at Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear StuartT321,

Greetings from Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa!

"Wow! Exactly what we are looking for"

Thank you for your wonderful feedback and satisfaction through our service during your stay with us.

So the delightful experience that you able to see around the Island and the different dish you have eaten on the time of your stay that make enjoy.

I hope you come to visit us once again!

Yours truly

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort @ Spa is the only 5 stars resort in Koh Yao Yai. The staffs here are very professional, friendly and tentative to provide you any assistance that you require. They all are polite and will greet you with Sawadde in Thai manner whenever they meet you. The properties are well managed and run by the great experience and professional manger, Mr.Lloyd. The price of the food is quite reasonable in good quality. All room are villa with private pool and great view over the Andaman Sea. Compared to other 5 star resorts in Thailand, Santhiya is one of the best among them with the more reasonable prices caused the property belongs to Thai not from the western chain resort. I had a chance to talk to the Singaporean couple , they told me that they will return to this resort again. So do I !!!! The resort runs their own transportation although it is not cheap but it's very convenient and you will be treated like Royal. They also provide you the dessert at the Royal Marina while you are waiting to board the Scheduled Speed boat to the Resort. I came to this resort by myself but I didn't feel like i'm alone whereas everybody comes as couple cause everybody is very friendly and greet and welcome me all along,

Room Tip: Picking the room that is no storage room downstairs, will be more quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Santara T

Dear Santara T,

Greetings from Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa!

"Spectacular panoramic view villa to die for"

Almost a great timing to received this good feedback that bring us up again in our feet that the standard of service have been preserve to all the guest that appreciate it.

It's team effort that bring this level of appreciation and believing with us that WE are able achieve the satisfaction of the guest.

And I hope you have the chance to come back again with us in the near future.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Having spent many months being excited about going to this 5 star resort, it was with great regret that me and my wife came away extremely disappointed. The concept is stunning, the location amazing, the Villa's at first glance incredible. But once the initial impact of the place wears off (and sadly this doesn't take too long) then you notice the cracks in the operation.

We didn't get the resort boat to the Island and took the normal passenger speed boat from Bang Rong Pier, as it was substantially cheaper, although it did require a (much lengthier than imagined) Songthaew journey the other side. On arrival at the resort I was surprised at how make-shift their entrance was, with us being left next to a security hut with no instruction or acknowledgement. Within minutes we were picked up by the very well run resort transport vehicles. However I have to note that this entrance doesn't give you the feeling of entering a quality resort, and clearly they expect their clients to take their Speed Boat.

Check in was satisfactory, but slow, the welcome drink is a nice little addition. There appears to be 3 people sitting in reception the whole time on computers but doing very little, as empty glasses were left around on a number of our trips to reception, damage to upholstery on the chairs was just left as an eye-sore, and the capable Viren tended to take over any enquiries that were directed to the 3 at the desk.

Having spent a few hours travelling down from Khao Lak to the resort we were very happy to be escorted to the villa where we told exactly how every facet of every facility worked and were quite impressed. However after spending a few hours there the cracks (literally) began to appear.
For some reason on arrival the parasol was floating in the pool, ok it was windy but when they are spending a lot of time pointing out dressing gowns and slippers perhaps they could have dealt with this. A minor issue yes but a lot of the villa looked shabby around the edges, cracked pool tiles, gaps behind the shower faucet, and a nail randomly sticking out over the shower. The outdoor furniture looked worse for wear and was finished poorly, and the villa itself had the look of a rushed assembly. The door had drill marks around the handle, and the door itself was not sealed, with a gap big enough to allow insects into the villa.

Mosquito's - These were a constant problem in the villa and across the resort. From previous experience other resorts are very proactive in minimising mosquito's with regular spraying and preventative measures in place. Worryingly on check in we were told if there is a problem with mosquito's then to contact reception. This to me is an acceptance of the problem before you've even started. I'm not so foolish to think that all mosquito's should be dealt with, as this is a problem across all Thailand, but having travelled the country extensively (including jungle resorts in Chiang Mai and Koh Chang), I had not been prone to so many bites as I was subjected to at Santhiya. Having already asked for assistance once about the mosquito's and having had the staff come and do something, I'm not sure what, it was very disappointing that on our 2nd night we were forced to call reception to explain the problem persisted. The assistance we were sent was an amiable man with an almost empty can of baygon. When I asked him simple questions about how to apply the spray he looked at me blankly not understanding the basic English I had used. I don't expect all employees to have exemplary English but when I need genuine assistance I would hope that I could communicate with the person giving me the assistance. We were also supplied with a 'Black Hole' mosquito killing device, one of those blue light machines for attracting insects and killing them. This seemed wholly ineffective, although this was up for debate with the general manager who told me it did work despite the fresh bites on mine and my wife's bodies. One of the major issues that creates this is the outside bathroom, which in theory is a great idea but is a practical nightmare when you want to go to the toilet in the evening and allow mosquito's an easy entrance point.

If you take the time to lean over your balcony at the resort you notice that below you is countless amounts of litter strewn across the ground, which really dampens the feeling that you are somewhere luxurious. The villa's struggle to keep sound isolated and we could hear the noise of the next villa (even when sitting inside with our own music on), as well as the noise of staff going about the daily tasks clearly within the villa, which disrupts the tranquility of the area.

Due to the location of the resort, it is unlikely you will be able to go anywhere else to eat unless you properly venture outside the resort, therefore you have access to the two "World Class" restaurants. Like in Soccer it seems the term "World Class" is thrown around all too easily, the food was good quality and tasty, but nothing you can't experience for a third of the price in most restaurants around the country. Due to the size of the restaurant the staff can be a little overzealous in the morning with checking you are fed and watered, and the buffet selection is to scale with the restaurant....small. This said the food is good, and the coffee was easily the best I'd had in Thailand.

Due to our short stay and the amount it rained in that time we didn't really get to try the activities and amenities, although the gym looked well furnished. Sadly in the event of rain, the options become very limited with the option of borrowing dvd's the only real offering, other than the rather pricey spa, or the gym. An activities room would have been nice, but I appreciate it may have detracted from the ambience of the resort.

Although only booked in for a 3 night stay, after 2 nights we had tolerated enough and decided to return to Phuket. We raised many of the issues with the general manager who claimed to have never faced such criticism about the resort, however being by no means a 5* traveller myself and quite happy in a hostel, if I felt the resort had obvious faults I fear the worst for when Genuine 5* travellers stay as they will no doubt be used to higher standards than myself.
That said he took on the complaints humbly, but I felt an undercurrent of feeling from both him and the staff that we were wrong and that they would show us that they were right.
Having inspected our villa and been shown the issues the management did absorb the cost of getting us back to the mainland, which was a very nice and much appreciated gesture, and also offered to book a taxi for us at the other end.

There are nice touches such as the welcome bottle of wine, the daily snacks that are delivered to your room, and the personal taxi service in between your villa and the centre, but these do little to pave over the cracks. The lack of differentiation in price for room service also is a nice feature of the resort, allowing you to enjoy your dinner from the privacy of your villa.

This resort could be an absolute triumph, and to be honest its not a million miles away. If improvements are made in the little things, making sure they handle their mosquito problem, and finish the site, then it could become the paradise escape that it is supposed to be. Training their staff in a standard level of English will bear better service, as I don't get the feeling the resort is aimed at Thai tourists. The ability to accept and learn from criticism would lead to a substantial improvement in the resort.

Sadly for now it just feels like the resort was put up in a rush, nothings ready yet, service isn't a priority and there is an 'out of sight, out of mind' attitude to the guests. The stay we had previously experienced in a 4* star resort in Khao Lak was a far more enjoyable experience as they knew their business, and weren't pretending to be something they are not. The service was of a far higher standard at the 4* which you wouldn't expect.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank 154Chris
LloydMaravilla, General Manager at Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear 154Chris,

Greetings from Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa!

"Paradise Lost; So close, yet so far"

I would like to take this moment to reply to your comments which might in balance to the numbers of good feedback that we have from previous guests.

It's really sad to know that you're not happy the way it should be as for the past 3 days we have heavy rains which cannot be prevent.

Actually the main subject that you want us to do, refund for the last day that you stay with us but as I said you should contact your agent for this reason.

Your right I went to see your problem and found out that everything baseless on that you have raised this to me but anyway I take action for your satisfaction.

And offer you FOC transfer from the resort to the pier straight away to the airport as token of goodwill for the problem that occurred.

As for the mosquito we have done everything even you have said that all request to spray daily have been sort out, still you have been bitten.

I'm not making an excuse we are in Eco forest place that you have to understand since you have booked your accommodation everything have been explained that the Island secluded.

I still take this moment to extend my deepest apology if you're not happy on the day you stayed with us.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying 5 nights at Santhiya recently. We were lucky with the weather, considering it was rainy season, and were able to make the most of our private villa & pool which had a spectacular view. We didn't really do a great deal so are unable to comment on activities or facilities other than the spa - which was good but perhaps a bit expensive for what it is and there could be more choice of treatments (this is their temporary spa as the resort is still being built...quietly). We did not hear any noise from the building work although during our stay they had issues with the road slipping away from heavy rains but this should be resolved in the next couple of weeks. The food was good but they could use more local produce instead of importing it I would think. Overall a beautiful setting for an extremely relaxing honeymoon for us and we hope to go back one day.

Room Tip: we think room number 3 of the villas must have the best view as it has the least screening around it...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
LloydMaravilla, General Manager at Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear ClaireStokes,

"Greetings from Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa"

"Stunning setting, excellent honeymoon location"

It's good to hear your feedback from your recent visit at Santhiya were you enjoyed the place itself.

The beauty of it was the secluded of the Island away from the busy Phuket where you can fell the you're in your honeymoon.

I hope the time you spent with was wort of coming back in the future.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We recently stayed at this lovely resort for 6 days. What we loved was how remote the island is from all the hustle and bustle of busy commercial islands. It did rain, but you cant predict this. We also had lovely sunny days where we found time to explore the island by scooter and also went over to Koh Yao Noi (which is a bit more geared to the tourist but still a far cry from busy islands) and we went island hopping on a long boat which was fun. The weather was great for swimming and sunning and infact when it did rain we welcomed it because we didn't want too much sun and were happy to stay in the beautiful villa and chill out together. The infinity pool is amazing, we loved swimming in it! The mosquito's didn't bother us and our room was prepared every evening for this. The staff are wonderful and Eiw was particularly helpful. The general manager Mr Lloyd is very friendly and goes out of his way to meet all the guests. When we left the island to fly back, we had about 8 hours wait before catching out plane and Mr Lloyd organised for a taxi to pick us up from the marina and stay with us until we were ready to go to the airport. It was worked out very well. If you are looking for somewhere remote, want privacy and not too fussed about not eating at different cafes and restaurants, then you will love it here. My husband and I had a relaxing holiday and that was what we were after. Thanks for making our holiday memorable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
LloydMaravilla, General Manager at Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Helena007_12,

Greetings from Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa!

"Stunning setting, excellent honeymoon"

Your stunning review gave us under star on our shoulder that the Team Member (Eiw) have excel to your expectation.

As through your length of stay you able to fell the ambiance of the place and have a chance to tour yourself by scooter which you able to went at the neighbouring Island.

It also nice to hear for the remaining time that you have spent in Phuket was wort of having it until the time of your departure.

I hope you can visit us once again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ko Yao Yai
#3 of 6 in Ko Yao Yai
Koyao Island Resort
Koyao Island Resort
#2 of 8 in Ko Yao Noi

Been to Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!