The Elixir Resort, created in 2006 and meant to be a 4*- 5* accommodation, benefits wonderfully of its unique location at a pristine beach on the all but touristy island of Koh Yao Yai. This island, situated at a 30-min. speedboat ride from Phuket, offers the visitor a totally opposite image of Southern Thailand than the one found on Phuket Island. Of course, Phuket also offers a number of great beaches and (some) patches of unspoilt nature but the tourists, and the tourist industry in its various forms, is literally omnipresent here. No such thing on Koh Yao Yai. On this sparsely populated, and dominantly islamic island, you’ll meet locals, young and old, living in their mostly traditional wooden houses, and only very few foreign visitors will cross your path. This greatly adds to the quality of this long-shaped island (hence its name, meaning Long Island). Green is the dominant colour, through its original nature, together with rubber plantation and rice-paddies which you’ll also find on your discoveries on Koh Yao Yai.
The Elixir Resort still has a lot to offer to the visitor wanting to get away from it all, aspiring for quietness and an original Thai feeling. Its setting on a 400 m private beach, and facing Phuket in the west, is magnificent and will guarantee some spectacular sunsets, if the rain doesn’t spoil it… The beach itself offers excellent quality golden sand, good swimming opportunities and nice patches of natural shade, but it would even be better without the remains of broken bottles here and there…
The resort was initially meant to be a 5*-accommodation, but to a certain degree, some lack of maintenance makes it vulnerable to inevitable criticism by the more discerning traveler. The rooms have a nice layout, some original architectural features, and almost everything was in good working condition. But a number of minor and less minor issues downgrade the overall rating of the room facilities. The aircon is ok but somewhat noisy, there is only an outdoor shower (which is pleasant only if it doesn’t rain) with no hot water, the room has a DVD-player but only an old-fashioned TV, but our main negative comment regards the poor quality of the mattress. There is no real bed, only a mattress put on a higher wooden floor level, but that’s no big deal. But the mattress itself is not comfortable, considering its metal springs you can distinctly feel once you try to get asleep…
The mini bar provides the usual stuff, but prices are quite high. Considering this is an Islamic and thus non-alcoholic island, drinks have to be imported, resulting in higher prices. The restaurant drinks are equally expensive and so is the food, if you consider the not so large portions. Food quality was satisfactory, and there is a quite large food selection available. We would rate the breakfast – consisting of 3 set choices – only average. Bread and croissants were not that “daily fresh”, and coffee was quite poor quality.
Some other things :
- The resort offers free wifi but only in the activity center (run by Chech staff, including a diving center) and in one segment of the restaurant.
- The swimming pool is certainly ok but the pool area lacks maintenance.
- Pick-up and drop-off at the pier (coming from Bang Rong pier on Phuket Island) was well organized.
And one last but important factor : the staff were all very friendly and helpful, trying to accommodate us in the very best way.
To resume : the visitor looking for isolation and quietness, a great natural setting on an unspoilt island, great water sports activities (weather permitting…), and an original and friendly accommodation will find this place a “heaven on earth”. The client looking for top class rooms and prime facilities will not be happy to the same degree. The choice is yours to determine whether you belong to the first or second category …
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- GLOW Elixir Koh Yao Yai is an ideal island resort situated on a peaceful and private beach on KohYao Yai in Phang Nga. The 35 midscale all-villa property sits on a 300-meter stretch of beach just steps away from the glistening Andaman Sea.GLOW Elixir Koh Yao Yai is the first GLOW by Zinc resort worldwide and the third property in Thailand.The resort features 35 private suites/villas in contemporary tropical design with a rustic island style set amongst lush tropical gardens. The unique island layout provides each of the villas with a stunning sea view and direct access to the enticing beach of the Andaman Sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your GLOW Elixir Koh Yao Yai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Elixir Hotel Koh Yao Yai
- Elixir Resort Koh Yao Yai