We chose the See World Club (SWC) for our two first nights on the beautiful island of Flores. It's proximity to the airport (ca. 20 minutes drive by car, pick up service provided by SWC) and the availability of beach cottages were the key reasons for this choice.
We stayed in the premium beach cottage number 7. It absolutely met all the criteria:
- beach front location,
- beautiful terrace with two comfortable chairs, a couch and a coffee table. Sitting there with a cup of coffee (complimentary provided in the room) and looking at the waves is a rewarding experience after a day of travelling or sight seeing,
- comfortable king size bed is big with mosquito net,
- ceiling fan and A/C: whatever you prefer,
- hot water shower,
- towels and beach towels provided,
- the cottage was clean, nice and cosy.
Food in SWC is perfectly fine. We had two dinners. The first evening we had a buffet dinner (ca. 95k Rp per PAX) which was not only very tasty but also offered a rich choice. One could start with an aromatic fish soup and then move on to the main dishes: beef stew, grilled fish, sea food and chicken satay, and "classical" nasi goreng, mie goreng and some grilled or fried vegetables. On the house was arak (local strong alcohol served with a tiny halves of lime), on the base "all you can drink :-). All took place in the beach bar lit by candles, with a band playing local music (quite a refreshing experience after so much exposure to gamelan!). The other night we ordered grilled fished which was very fresh and tasty, along with marvellous gado gado!
Breakfast highlights of this place: real ("European style") bread and cold cuts! Ideal for those longing for the taste of home.
Black sand beach. what we liked most was the fact that local people (fisherman, women and playing kids) were passing by, happily waving at you with a "hello sir" which made us feel being in a natural surrounding and not in a tourist exclave.
Service here is exceptional! Although Indonesians are in general exceptionally positive and friendly, we experienced the SWC's staff even above average. The front desk man Joseph, Erman, the restaurant manager, all the staff we had contact with were fully professional, always helpful, speaking English perfectly and SO kind! They help you to organise onward transport (rent cars with drivers, air tickets) and excursions.
The place is being managed by a German couple of Polish origin and was founded by a German Catholic Priest who - aged 83 - lives at the site and gets in contact with all guests to welcome them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only 2 hours flight from Bali bring you to this tropical beach paradise on Flores Island where you will enjoy peaceful & relaxing holidays. Flores island is a green jewel in Indonesia Archipelago and has something magical, it is so close to Bali but you wonder yourself in a different world. We offer our guests: comfortable beachfront cottages and bungalows, authentic Florenese hospitality, simplicity, a slow and easy way of life, free spirit, mind & soul, good music, good food and cold bear, always accompanied with a warm smile.The hotel and the island is really 'away from it all': peaceful and relaxing. If you want entertainment and sophistication don't bother - this resort is not for you. The hotel is a casual , read, swim, dive and relaxing beach destination. Enjoy the folklore and smile of the people. Leave the hectic, modern lifestyle behind, take your snorkel or diving equipment and lots of books, stay with us and enjoy relaxing holidays on a calm volcanic beach. This beach and dive resort is the perfect holiday place for those who look for silence, peace and recreation off the beaten track. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Sea World Club Beach Hotel Maumere
- Sea World Hotel
- Sea World Club Beach Resort Maumere, Flores, Indonesia