“Fantastic!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pennal
Llangollen, United Kingdom
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Our family had the most amazing and restful break here at half term. The apartment was spotless and so luxurious with everything we could possibly need and more. The kids loved their room, with their own bathroom and made the most of the facilities and the pool. The food in the restaurant was stunning and the staff could not have been more attentive and helpful. Set in such beautiful scenery and with such a restful and relaxing ambiance I cannot think of a better way to unwind or a more relaxing and lovely place to be on holiday

Room Tip: The whole place seemed ship shape and lovely. I'd happily try the same or another apartment next...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Mary S

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Cropston, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

I own a timeshare in the Mansion House.
Wonderful location, Facilities are limited but improving with the introduction of the Y Garth restaurant and bar. The staff are good. The grounds first class with an excellent forest walk and wonderful views over the Dovey valley. The area is outstanding with the the coast at Aberdovey a few miles away and the Snowdonia National Park on the doorstep. Fabulous for outdoor oriented people.

The apartments are much better following the ongoing refurbishment programme. However, did think the mattresses in our apartment were showing signs of wear and were quite uncomfortable.
One thing I was upset about. Three weeks before visiting I tried booking my apartment on the MacDonald website only to find that it was being offered for somewhat less than my annual owners fee. Understand that this may be due to timing, demand etc. Same thing happened last year. My apartment is in half term week for half of the country.
I am not convinced that MacD do enough to sell apartments. After all they have the income whether they are occupied or not.
That aside this resort has everything going for it and is well worth spending time at.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank aquarianblue300147
Brecon, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013

The Lapwing apartment was spotlessly clean when we arrived. It was large and equipped with everything we could have wished for. The grounds were beautifully kept and the scenery magnificent. The staff gave a well informed description of facilities and activities available and a most humourous delivery of a local map by a talented young lady!The best "Welcome Morning" I have ever seen. The facial I had at the spa was also amongst the best ever.A most relaxing week with delicious meals served in the bar and Y Garth restaurant.

Room Tip: Lapwing 6 was lovely.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank 944cariad
London
Reviewed October 15, 2013

When we first arrived, it was obvious that our bungalow had not been hoovered! There was other people's hair on the cushions and much dog hair and pine needles on the floor. So the first thing I had to do, was hoover. It got worse when we had to move the bed to get our travel cot in one of the bedrooms - inch thick of dust plus a tampon wrapper. We complained, the manager apologised and halved our electricity bill - we saved £6 - thanks!

There are other parts of the bungalow that need attention - some damp penetrating in a corner of a bedroom, stained roller blinds, etc. The movies are dubbed out of sync. None of the Internet radio stations worked.

The children's play area was just a bunch of mostly broken plastic toys.

However, the bar and restaurant are fine. The views, pitch and putt, swimming pool, jacuzzi, etc are fine.

Not sure how they can charge 13p a unit for electricity - surely the local supplier isn't providing it for that cost?

We had a nice stay but re-investment is required!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Staro30
West Boldon, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Although not a timeshare owner I have been a user of the macdonalds forest hills resort in aberfoyle Scotland twice a year for a number of years, we love the facilities that these resorts offer. I was therefore looking forward to a change and visiting the Plas Targarth resort in Wales.

The resort is in a lovely location and we had a great trip to it from Snowdon, Wales is a beautiful country with amazing scenery.

After checking in we were disappointed to find that we were in the mansion house after being used to a separate apartment in aberfoyle. The apartment was 3 stories up with no lift. The apartment had superb views over the countryside and was lovely in warm though. The interior of the apartment however was dated and as we found was not usable as a self catering apartment that can sleep 4. The kitchen consisted of a 2 ring cooker no oven and a small microwave oven that bits fell off of that could not realistically be used as an oven for 2 never mind 4. This meant that we had to eat out which was not the point of getting an apartment.

The Bar and restaurant have been taken over by another company and the food and and service was great. It was not advertised when we booked it however so the £30 food voucher we took from my Macdonalds points was useless. It also did not serve food at the times indicated however as we tried to get food at 3 pm one day and although they advertised it they said it was quiet so did not do it. The meal in the restaurant the next night was superb however and the waitress was very jolly and took interest in you.

The resort could have done more to advertise things In the local area. We are avid walkers and there was nothing to advertise local walks even though we were told there was in the village hall on site. We only stumbled upon the welsh coastal trail that went through the resort on June last day and found good guide books in local shops that showed walks from the local town.

While we had a great stay at this resort and would likely go back but in a larger separate apartment it is not up to the standard I would expect from a Macdonalds resort which are branded as premium resorts. If you want to compare go to Forest Hills resort in Aberfoyle where you will get more from your money.

Room Tip: Spend more money and avoid getting an apartment in the mansion house as they are under provisioned
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Billyfreedom
Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Had a second week here last week. We stayed in June and had a good time and this was even better. Stayed in Villa 24 which was well equipped and modern oak furniture etc. Y Garth restaurant now open and the food was excellent. We ate there twice and twice in the bar brilliant. Food fresh and all home made from hake, sea bream, steak and kidney pudding to roast beef for Sunday lunch. Gluten free very well catered for and had chocolate roulade too many times.....it was awesome.

Friend and I had a great facial at the Spa very very reasonably priced and excellent....I love treatments and this must be the best facial I have ever had!!

We exchanged with RCI and even thinking of going back next year. Have Tenerife in two weeks, Canada next June but may try next September again. All the staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2013
Wrexham, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here every year for the last 9 years as I have a timeshare here. I always feel like I'm coming home. everyone is so friendly.I am pleased to say that the restaurant food has improved tremendously. We had a lovely meal in the bar which was great. So nice to see gammon and steak on the bar menu. We also had lovely massages in the spa. The nicest hot stone massage I've ever had. Had a few swims in the pool, very relaxing as well. The only thing I did complain about was being thrown out of the bar before half eleven , We only arrived at half eight. Especially as it was the night that the tour of Britain crew were there. They weren't happy either. I thought that as being residents the bar would be open later. Spoilt our fun !
The apartment was clean as always, but every year I ask them when are they going to put more comfy beds in, they are so hard ! Please please change the beds!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Debbie D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pennal
Penmaenuchaf Hall
Wynnstay Hotel
#2 of 3 in Machynlleth
Penhelig Arms
Penhelig Arms
#2 of 3 in Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)
Dolffanog Fawr
Dolffanog Fawr
#1 of 1 in Tal-y-llyn
Hotel Portmeirion
Hotel Portmeirion
#1 of 1 in Penrhyndeudraeth

Been to Plas Talgarth Holiday Resort? Share your experiences!