“Lovely hotel but very poor food and drinks. :-(”

Cyprotel Corfu Panorama
Ranked #24 of 39 Hotels in Sidari
Selby, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel but very poor food and drinks. :-(”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Firstly can I say we got this holiday for £1200 for 10 days All Inclusive for 2 adults and 1 child with Air con. Which was cheaper than 7 days SC so we were prepared to be using it as a B&B as we like to eat out as part of our holiday.
The hotel itself is nice, clean, we had a lovely room. But the beds are really hard like sleeping on concrete! The pool area is fab. The pool is really deep even in the shallow end but there is a kiddies pool the other side. Plenty sunbeds. The hill was not a problem we were in room 507 which was right at the top, which had a mezzanine bedroom and the room had great views. I suffer with a bad back but it being up a hill was not a problem. There's a short cut down some steps to get to the bottom. We bussed up and walked down. But you can bus both ways. Not a problem.

Now for the food and drinks. We are not fussy people and can usually eat anything, my husband especially. But I was really not impressed at all with the food. We managed to have breakfasts and some lunches, but only ate once on the first evening. But as I said earlier normally All Inc is not for us. We did think there should have been more snacks around the pool bar.....toasties or hot dog or something. The only thing you could get was in the afternoon they would bring out some tiny sausage rolls and cheese pasty things. They weren't worth eating. The drinks were horrible too. We are not heavy drinkers and normally aren't bother that its local spirits etc. But these were not nice at all. You can pay for branded drinks but the coke lemonade etc was cheap sugary horrid stuff too.

So if you are looking for a cheap clean place to stay and are happy to eat out its an ok place. But if you are looking for All Inclusive where you can eat all day and enjoy drinks all day and night and get drunk and not need to spend any money on food and drinks I would choose somewhere else to stay.

Its 17 years since we were last in Sidari and it has changed a lot but its a lovely place plenty going on but not too mad. Did horse riding in Sidari, went to Kassiopi on the bus and did East coast boat trip through Vlaseros Travel in the middle of the strip in Sidari, Phillip will sort you out no problems.

3 Thank Trisha6770
Giorgos M, E-Marketing Team at Cyprotel Corfu Panorama, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
It is a privilege when our customers dedicate some of their time to inform us about various incidents regarding positive or negative experiences during their accommodation with Cyprotels Hotels & Resorts.

It is also our duty to respond to any suggestions or complains that our customers have, to give them reasonable explanations about their concerns, and to improve our quality of service over time.

We want to thank you for choosing our hotels for your holidays and for giving us an opportunity for improvement. As a growing and busy company we have to be flexible and adjust with internal and external factors. as a result when our customers are faced with some imperfections, we do everything we can to remedy the situation. By taking immediate action we can ensure you that if you choose our hotels for any future visits you will notice that your words have created a better place for our customers and our employees.
Please feel free to contact us directly on our website form if you feel there is more we can do in regards to your review.
Best Regards,

Cyprotels Hotels & Resorts
E-Marketing Team

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Polish first
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My daughter and I returned from a 1 week holiday on 29th June.

We really enjoyed Sidari, this was the first time I had visited this area of Corfu but my daughter worked here a few years ago and was not disappointed with her return.

The hotel was not as good as it could be, with slight changes the hotel could be much better. First I would change the beds, as other reviewers have commented the mattresses are really hard and caused your hips to ache by the end of the week. We were in room 407 at the top of the hill. I was pleased we had such a great view of Sidari but even more pleased that the mini bus service up and down the resort was there as we would not have made it to the top of the hill every day. We found the bus drivers to be very pleasant and helpful. On one occasion I had forgotten something from our room and he took me back to the top of the hill and waited for me to come back and took me back to the bottom - very helpful.

Hotel food was edible but not great. I did not feel at any time during the holiday that I had had a lovely meal, it was very basic and on one occasion there was a beef dish and I honestly could not tell you what it was or what it tasted of!.

The pool area was ok. I think the bar area lacked any atmosphere and sat under the canopy was dull. As others have commented, the drinks are served in the thinnest of thin 7oz plastic cups and only allowed 2 at a time. This rule is rather stupid. There were two of us so first I ask for two drinks and sit down with my daughter, then she goes for a turn and I sit on my own while she goes to the bar and so on - not sure what the logic is in this ruling as if we went to the bar together she could ask for two drinks and then I so what on earth is the difference??. At least give larger cups if this is the rule they want to apply. The pool bar staff were pleasant but not sure they are really enjoying their jobs they didn't appear to be.

Evening / daytime entertainment was not very good i was glad we were able to go into the town on the evening as I could not sit through boring bingo every night.

We travelled to the hotel from the airport on the Lords travel transfer bus. I was not aware that we would be travelling for 2 hours and they had allowed 3 hours to return to the airport when the journey is 1 hour maximum. We went on a lengthy tour of all neighbouring hotels. A taxi is 53 euro one way and although this is a lot of money I think if I was to go again I would rather travel this way than going all around the houses.

Our rep recommended that if we wanted to hire a car we should order it through reception as they gave very good rates, They did quote us 25 Euro which was great, that is if the car actually turned up. We asked for the car for Wednesday but was told they could only do Thursday. We got up early on Thursday morning to receive the car at 9.00am but it never arrived. We went to reception who contacted the hire company and they said they had written us down for Friday and could not provide a car for us that day. It was them that suggested Thursday so not sure what happened here. I was very disappointed and annoyed. We decided to go down to the town and went to Island Travel next to the internet cafe, they got us a car in 15 minutes and although it was 9 euro extra, we managed to get out for the day and visit other places as planned. This was well worth it, the north of the island is very beautiful and breathtaking.

I would definitely visit Sidari again but not this hotel. It's best point is the view. Self catering for us next time!

Room Tip: Room 407 was ideal, it has a great view and is just down the slope from where the mini bus drops you...
Hartlepool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2013

just got back from a weeks stay with my hubby and 17 year old daughter. we booked independently and were supposed to go to the sister hotel in achraivi,,, but am glad now we were moved... yes the hotel is on a hill and the climb is steep.. we were right at the top in 509.. but the views from the balcony were amazing. we had a nice room very clean with free air con, my daughter should have slept up in the mezzine level but it was much too hot, so she used the downstairs sofa bed... might be a bit too hot for little ones up there ??? though I wouldn't let anyone under 5/6 sleep up there anyway. The hotel is bright clean and all the staff (with 1 exception) were friendly helpful and courteous. just a few points though >>>>

the elderly bus driver is the rudest man I have ever had the misfortune to meet.. he even drove off one day and left someone's wife in the shop !!!!

the plastic glasses served around the pool for beer are a joke... the hotel needs to invest in some half pint plastic tankards

more than 1 bar should be open... the pool bar is fab for those wanting to watch the entertainment with their children, ( very uncomfortable seating) but the roof bar should be open for those wanting a quiet drink...

fresh juice on a morning would be nice and a better selection of pool snacks

sounds picky I know but if the hotel resolved these problems it would radically improve.

sidari itself can be whatever you want to make it>>> traditional greek or busy busy... lots of choice and cheap...

we had a fab time ... but to be honest we would probably go self catering next time

Room Tip: higher floors have a fab view
uk
Reviewed July 2, 2013

great place to go friendly staff
excellent value for money meet some great people
only 2 things to moan about was the mozis and no water polo nets
the food was good. I put 3kg in 2 weeks and eating salads with everything

Room Tip: ask for a lower floor pool view
1 Thank bigden1
oldham
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We originally didn't book to go to this hotel, we were supposed to be staying in Acharavi in a 4/3* and with only 5 days to spare to change hotels as ours was "fully booked" all of a sudden we didn't have much choice available.

The transfer time is approx 1 hour depending on drop off's, we didn't have a rep and a company called Lord Travel dropped us off. On arrival we were greeted quickly by the receptionist to book us in. We were given our wrist bands and some info to take with us and were told that evening dinner was open in half an hour which was good of them to let us know. The safety deposit box is €1.50 a day with a €10 deposit which you get back at the end of your stay. Air con is competed free which is good. They keep your passports to check you in later but didn't tell us and we frantically thought we had lost them on the way up to the room which I thought could have been explained better, they were safe and we collected them later but something to be aware of.

The mini bus driver was waiting for us to take us up to our rooms which was a god send as the hill is quite steep when you have to take cases up to your room. There were 3 different drivers on our stay and only one was friendly and willing to stop for you to take you and spoke to you. One of them took long breaks and left many people waiting for a long time to take them up the hill. If you are not very fit then you will have to wait a long time depending on the driver. The buses run from 8in the morning till 12 at night. A good service but could be better. If you are under 16 they will not take you unless accompanied by an adult and you are not allowed to be wet from swimming either so dry off and have clothes to cover up if you have been to the pool.

The pool itself was lovely but Impossible to get a sun bed! People put their towels on at daft o'clock in the morning to reserve a space and then went away for ages so nobody got the opportunity to use them. There should be a rule in place so this doesn't happen. The pool opens officially at 9.30 but towels were on before breakfast at 8.30. We managed to get a sun bed twice in the late evening approx 4pm, once at the babies pool so if you wanted a swim it wasn't ideal and once at 5.30pm in the shade. The pool closes at 6.30.

Food was ok. Breakfast was fruit, yoghurt, cereals, full English etc. as much tea and coffee as you want. The toast machine takes forever as there is only one but is it is ok. Lunch was always good with a great Salad bar and the usual chips, pasta, rice. Evening meals were similar. If you go late the food is less hot but still edible. They run a good ship considering the amount of guests to cater for. Always a table And food is replenished quickly and regularly. It can get a bit of the same but not too bad. The wine and juices are very watered down which is a shame and if you drink by the pool you only get small plastic cups an an only get two alcoholic drinks at a time so are up and down every few minutes if you drink quick. The cocktails are also watered down with the juice but they do put a good amount of alcohol in them.

Rooms cleaned daily, towel change and linen change only once. Good shower and haidryet in the room.

Sidari itself is lively and a great place. Only 5min walk from the hotel. We decided that self catering would be better in this resort as the food and drink is very cheap. €2 for a pint of beer in most places €3 to €4.50 most cocktails and can eat an evening meal for less than €25 with starters and a drink. Bargain!! Good restaurants and bars to choose from. Crossroads bar for drinks with free wifi and a free pool table, drinks the cheapest and we got a free shot.

Take mosquito repellant and lots of it. Buy jungle formula and not expell... I got over 70 bites and had to spend €20 on medication as the stuff I took didn't work. One man had to have a €50 injection to stop infection. They are rife in sidari. Luckily I resisted the urge to scratch and didn't need other treatment other than antibiotics. Jungle formula is more expensive but worth it.

We took trips with vlaseros travel on the main strip. Reps were charging double the price! Corfu town only €8 each and also the same to visit Kassiopi. Luxury coaches and great days out.

All in all a great holiday, love Sidari, hotel clean and great if you want to spend 24/7 there but more
Opportunity if you go self catering and may have more chance of getting a sun bed.

Room Tip: Great views from the higher rooms and less noise but difficult to reach if you are in fit or have a...
scotland
Reviewed July 1, 2013

At first we thought the hotel was really nice. The pool is nice. Rooms clean but dated. Beds are really uncomfortable and very hard. They were so unbearable that I had to pull the soft mattress off the pull down bed to put on top of mine. Hairdryer was broken and every time we had air conditioning on it flooded the balcony with leaking water - informed the reception and they didn't do anything about it.
When I asked the reception to confirm my transfer back to the airport she told me to go down to main strip and use a phone box lol.
Drinks were awful. Red wine was cold and watered down and all the mixers were watered down and the orange juice was diluting juice - yuk! and served in plastic cups.

First two days we had no probs getting sunbeds, then when it started to pick up we couldn't get any. I would hate to see it in july/august!
Entertainment was crap. seats in the bar areas uncomfy too. It is a hotel with very little comfort and the sunbeds too were back breaking.

Food was okay, quite tasty. you could tell the majority of the food is frozen food eg. veggies and fish etc. By the end of the week I was really fed up of the food.
Breakfast fruit is tinned. The pastry snacks in bar are yuk and the sausage rolls are made with the left over sausages from breakfast.
If you are a veggie there was some nice vegetarian dishes, ratatouille, veggie burgers, stuffed tomatoes etc.

Sidari itself is a seedy wee place The clifts and scenery beautiful but that was it. Expensive too.

If you are looking for a quiet relaxing holiday then this place is not for you. But if you are happy with busy busy around the pool and crap drinks and lots of people everywhere then go here.
Was so glad to get home from this holiday.

you can also hear noise from the strip all night!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Sidari hotels

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

my husband & i have just got home after an 11 night holiday here, we were in room 406, it was clean & had lovely view to the sea. staff were friendly & helpful, the breakfasts were excellent, never had lunch as still full from breakfast, evening meals had plenty of choice. never had to queue at pool bar nice measures for shorts & tried all the cocktails quite a few times! Never had a prob with the hill as always got the minibus as never had to wait long for it, twice got a taxi from the strip after midnight to the top of the hill not bad at £5 worth it! 5 min walk 2 the beach which we prefer to the pool, very nice beach free sunbeds at bars if you buy a drink or anything from them, was well worth it. The only downfall of the holiday was a boat trip to corfu town with vlaseros travel, booked it on the strip, was described as evening cruise on a luxury cruiser with a lounge bar, it was nothing like that! it was little more than a water taxi with a little wooden hut in the middle i guess must have been the lounge bar with no food or drink! One last thing is we enjoyed the bars on the strip, some good tribute acts, the best we saw was vicky as kylie & lady gaga, was excelent!

1 Thank sheila a