“5 star holiday!”
Review of Zafiris Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sidari
Zafiris Hotel
Ranked #17 of 39 Hotels in Sidari
Leeds
“5 star holiday!”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Zafiris hotel at the start of September 2013 and we were absolutely blown away from start to finish during our stay here.

The location is ideal. Near enough to get involved in some night life or karaoke, but far enough away to not be kept awake. The walks and views from around the hotel were fantastic and a welcome break from laying by the lovely pool in the midday sun.

We could not fault the food in the hotel at all. There was a different selection every day - which mean't that you never got bored of the buffet style dining. The All Inclusive drinks were lovely and the service and the staff were outstanding. We were always greeted with a smile and they really made an effort to welcome us to the hotel.

This hotel far exceeded our expectations and we would recommend it to anyone. We will definitely return!

3 Thank smileygal123
ZafirisHotel, Owner at Zafiris Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Our thanks for you choosing the Zafiris and of course your review.

It is motivating to see that towards the end of the summer customers are still enjoying their holiday as they did at the start of the year.

We really hope that we will see you return.

The Zafiirs Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013

10 days at the Zafiris Hotel in Corfu have been our best holiday ever! Wonderful staff, great hotel & stunning location. Every member of the hotel team were friendly, happy to talk but also seemed to have a sixth sense as to when you wanted quiet time to yourself. The food was varied & enjoyable, the pool lively & fun but also relaxing. The room was comfortable & clean. The saxophone bar was enjoyable but a little tired looking. Overall, fantastic experience. Thank you to Martin & everyone at the Zafiris for exceeding our expectations, we cannot wait to come back! Glen & Dawn Pearson.

2 Thank Glen P
Thank you for your review.

It's great to see that you had a great holiday and took the time to record your experience on Tripadvisor. It was a pleasure to meet you and we very much hope that one day you can return to Corfu again.

All the best
Zafiris Team
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at the zafiris hotel at the beginning of September and have to say we thoroughly enjoyed it!! Any negatives highly outweighed the positives and here goes:

ROOM:
We arrived late at night however staff were on hand to assist us and our luggage was put into a van and taken up the hill for us. We were then led to a lovely large room with the biggest bed I have ever seen!! The room also had a fridge, air con and a flat screen tv (however hardly any signal so unable to watch anything - not that you go on holiday to watch tv anyways so not a problem!) we had a large balcony however only slight disappointment was that it connected directly with only a railing to the next rooms balcony leaving no privacy if we were all out there the same time. I was also surprised that there was no soap in the bathroom... This should definitely be supplied especially as we arrived in the night when shops were closed. I know it's only 2* but some tea and coffee facilities in the room would also be an excellent addition :-)

LOCATION:
This hotel is ideally situated directly next to many gorgeous beaches as well as within touching distance of loads of shops, bars and restaurants and barely a 5 minute walk into the main strip of Sidari.

HOTEL:
I would definitely say this hotel was much more a 3* than a 2! The grounds are well kept, the rooms stunning, the pool is massive and there are plenty of sun loungers. We discovered that there are several comfy sponge cushion sun lounger covers which we had the pleasure to use during the majority of our holiday and these were paradise to lay on whilst lapping up the sun rays!! Definitely an added extra :-) the saxaphone bar was also lovely and I liked the two rotating cocktail happy hours each night for only €3 :)

RESTAURANT:
We had a bad experience on the first proper night of our holiday after one of the waitresses called Ange was very rude to us, which put the holiday on a bad foot and I felt uneasy returning back to the restaurant. I also wasn't very impressed to later hear that she had gone around to other guests telling everyone about the incident and her views on it and moaning about us and I felt this was also very unprofessional - however once this was reported to reception both Dawn the receptionist and Martin the manager were extremely apologetic and helpful. We were looked after for the remainder of the week very well by a different waitress called Alice and always checked on by Martin. I don't feel this hotel should be looked down on just because of one rude individual as the rest of the staff were amazing - extremely helpful and clearly all work very hard.
The food is amazing and my partner and I were very impressed with the choice. Yes it did have pizza chips etc but there was also a good selection of different pastas, several Greek dishes, chicken, porks, rice and amazing salads! Desserts were also lovely with one member of staff even cooking up pancakes for people :-) Definitely better food quality than expected from a 2* hotel. All of the drinks were also nice and I didn't feel they were watered down as previously reported.

SPA:
Both me and my partner had full body massages and they were amazing...!! Highly recommended and very good value for money!

Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone - especially for the price! I don't usually tend to return to hotels I have been to, but have to say I think I probably would do with this little gem :-)

• Stayed September 2013
ZafirisHotel, Owner at Zafiris Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
As with all feedback we would express our thanks at seeing this review. It is pleasing to see that you had a good holiday at the hotel, and have taken the time to record this on Tripadvisor.

Regarding any upset that may have been caused, both the waitress and the hotel would like to apologise. This we have established was quite unintentional. The member of staff has worked for the hotel for many years with customers only singing her praises.

Again we are sorry if there was any disappointment with the service provided.

We very much hope that we one day see you again at the hotel and thank you for your visit.

Team Zafiris
Reviewed September 15, 2013

When I read the negative reviews of the Zafiris I wonder if I stayed at the same hotel as those reviewers!

This hotel and the staff are amazing. It is set in a beautiful location. Yes, Sidari is looking a bit run down but that does not take away from the hotel at all.

We travelled for a week at the end of August-beginning of September and stayed in a ground floor room (104) on the drive near the Saxaphone bar. The room was large, spacious and very clean. It had a fridge, television and a bath tub which was definitely unexpected! The rooms were cleaned daily and there was an abundance of towels. There were hardly any mosquitos, no ants and no noise from the Saxaphone bar.

We ate at the restaurant 5 nights out of 7. We only ate elsewhere as we wanted to explore the local area. The food was fantastic and there is plenty of choice for everyone. The salads were lovely. Yes, there is some plain food such as plain pasta, pizza and chips but surely the hotel only serve this because it gets eaten??? We would have loved more Greek food but not everybody does. The selection of food provided should satisfy the majority of people.

Particular food highlights for us were the village potatoes, Greek night (amazing!), the greek pies, the puddings ( we put on a lot of weight!!), soup, pancakes. I could go on and on.

The pool area was lovely and clean and the staff (Super Mario) worked very hard to keep it this way. The bar staff and waitresses were always lovely, very friendly and chatty. They work very hard but always have a smile on their faces. They were all great with my children and my son made particular friends with the chefs and restaurant staff :) Martin and Dawn are also fabulous. My husband found the pillows a bit hard (he is fussy about his pillows) so I mentioned it to Dawn and the same day a selection of soft pillows had been provided for him. Not all hotels would be so accomodating. Also as a previous reviewer said it is nice to see the hotel manager out and about interacting with the guests.

A special mention goes to the animation team of Lari, Danny and Leni. There were so funny, I don't know where they get their energy from. When we return next year I will definitely be joining in with more of the activities. The men's waterpolo matches are always good value to watch. They also provide evening entertainment in the Saxaphone bar. Don't miss Lari's karoke ;)

Also try and have a massage in the spa. I had a face massage and a neck and shoulders massage. They were incredible value for money and I felt so relaxed afterwards.

I highly recommend the Zafiris. For a 2 star hotel it exceeds expectations. Will we be returning? Yes! We have already booked to come back for 2 weeks next summer.

See you next year!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SandDunesandSaltyAir
ZafirisHotel, Owner at Zafiris Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
A very kind thank you for your feedback. It is pleasing to read that the team were able to contribute to your holiday.

Thank you also for taking time to mention the various staff who contributed to your holiday. It was a pleasure to meet you and very much look forward to welcoming you back.

kingsteignton
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed at the Zafiris 6th-13th September. I originally booked the hotel after seeing it on First
Choice website as a 3*+, it was only after I booked that I realised it is actually only a 2*hotel.
As we have not stayed at anything less than minimum 4* for years, I was worried what we were going to end up in. On arrival at the hotel a mini bus is sent to meet the coach at the bottom of the drive(no turning place for coaches at top of drive) I was mildly amused by the fact that the suitcases are all loaded onto the minibus for a lift up the drive but the guests have to walk!
Hmmm not a great start! At reception we were greeted by Dawn the receptionist and Martin the
hotel manager who personally showed us to our room. The rooms are basically furnished but big enough with a very large and comfortable bed. The bathroom was big enough and clean but
exceptionally hot as the air con is only in the bedroom. Minor detail which I mentioned on the hotels own questionnaire is that there was no soap provided in the room, I realise that costs have to be controlled but come on, it doesn't cost much to provide a bar of soap in each room, thankfully I take my own. Plenty of towels provided though. The rooms have a fridge which was great and not always provided by higher grade hotels. Free of charge safety boxes at reception also much appreciated(make sure you get anything you need out by 9pm as this is when reception closes) We were just in time for dinner on our first evening which we both enjoyed and then went to the saxophone bar for after dinner drinks and hotel entertainment. This area seriously needs some money spent on it as all the furniture is very tired. Bar service efficient and seemed to be a good choice of drinks available although we only drink vodka and wine anyway, if you want tonic rather than local mixers you have to pay 1euro:I didn't mind this as I already knew from reading previous reviews and it was my choice to pay the extra rather than drink the provided mixers.
From our first day things just got better. The hotel is situated right in the canal d'amour area
overlooking the famous cliffs, the grounds extend right up to the cliff top with views out to sea. Much has been written in previous reviews about the pool bar staying open later but Martin the Manager made a very valid point that having guests stagger around in the dark of night on a cliff top is probably not a great idea!
The pool area is large with plenty of sun loungers poolside and in the shady areas we prefer as it was very hot. The ambience is very relaxed and friendly.
Now onto the food: Unlike many all inclusive hotels including 4 and 5 star worldwide, the food
provided at this hotel is always served hot which was really good. The choice of food available was far better than I expected for a 2* hotel, we enjoyed every meal that we had at the hotel. My husband has coeliac disease(total gluten intolerance) but was well looked after at this hotel. Each evening either Martin or the restaurant manager checked for him what he could and couldn't eat and even offered to prepare something just for him one evening when the available options prepared were a bit limited due to his dietary requirements. This was very much appreciated, there have been plenty of times on holiday when we have had to go out to eat due to there being nothing suitable available(we would not return to or recommend hotels that make such little effort) The waiting staff are all very friendly and efficient, comments about them whipping your plate away before you have finished are just nonsense.
The hotel is about 15 minutes level walk to the main busy part of Sidari which we went into each night: A few shops, lots of bars, tribute acts etc, we really enjoyed the Elvis tribute act at 'One for the Road' not the best singer in the world but very entertaining and the bar has a great fun
atmosphere. The whole town area is very lively and great fun at night but nice to be able to walk back to the peace and quiet at the hotel. We also hired a car for a couple of day from Vlaserous
travel in order to explore Corfu which has some magnificent scenery especially in the north west part of the island. We also had a day out by boat to Paleo(boat leaves from Sidari jetty)Sidari beach itself is very large but not very attractive as it is quite scruffy and dirty, sea water lovely and warm for swimming though. There are all the usual water sports available including hiring your own motorised boat if you want for a reasonable cost. In the area closest to the hotel there are lots of tavernas all very good value for food and drink.
Overall our opinion of this hotel was very good. It is located in the best area of the resort with great views, the ambience is very relaxed, staff all efficient and friendly, rooms are ok and the food is really good. It was very nice to see that the Manager bothered to speak to all the guests and make sure they were having a good time rather than hiding away in an office and leaving the staff to deal with all the concerns or comments that guests might have.
If you decide to stay at the Zafiris don't expect luxury accommodation because you haven't paid for it and who goes on holiday to sit in their room all day anyway? Do expect to enjoy staying here which I am sure you will unless you are impossible to please.
Thank you all at the Zafiris,we loved our week with you and will happily choose you again for a future holiday.

Room Tip: We always like a high floor as they are generally more private, we had room 503 which was middle l...
3 Thank diane d
We would really like to thank you for taking the time to write this account of our services.

The author will be pleased to know that there are plans to refurbish the hotel for 2014.
The final scale of this work is not yet decided however First Choice are keen for the hotel to carry out the work.

What may surprise many customers is the amount of work and money invested each year to keep the hotel running.

Nevertheless we are hopeful that the planned works will be comprehensive enough to give the hotel a facelift.

Our thanks again for your time and thank you for your visit it was a pleasure to meet you.

Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

As good as Sidari is made out to be in the photos we found online, it's a very run down area and the main beach runs along side a disgusting lake of sewage. It is safe to assume that it was once a thriving area of tourist attraction, but is now very run down and a bit of a toilet. Every day we would travel out to other beaches and areas around the island just to get away and experience proper Greek culture. We found that every place we visited was like another world in comparison to Sidari (we understand this is nothing to do with the hotel, but this gives people an idea of what to expect when coming to visit).

Our Room:
We were staying in room 502A. The room was very tidy and clean and the bed was very spacious and fresh towels were provided every day. The huge problem for us was that the room didn't actually have a proper front door. The only access was through a glass sliding door which doubled up as access to the 'balcony' which was only in fact a 'veranda' as the lady at the reception put it. It was actually a tiny area of shabby tiles and two plastic seats which had absolutely no privacy as they were out in the open area of the hotels front garden. The fact the only entry was a giant glass door meant that if we didn't want people to see in to our room, then we had to have the blinds shut, so natural light wasn't possible to have in the day time if we wanted some privacy. The room also didn't have a bin and the TV remote didn't work.

The Restaurant:
This was the main problem of the whole holiday for us. Because you've paid the extra for all inclusive you're always eating there for breakfast, lunch and dinner, however we were so put off by the food that we ended up eating out once and sometimes twice every day and spent a lot more than we had planned because of it. Starting with the first big problem about it - on two occasions my boyfriend found a thick long black hair in his food. On both instances we approached the manager and on both instances nothing was done and barely any apologies were given. On top of that, the food was (understandably) very low quality, and there wasn't much variety - half of the whole selection of food every day was chips, pizza and tasteless pasta. The cereal was stale every day and the milk was always warm even if you got there early as if it had been sat out for hours. The salad options were good. The glasses, plates and cutlery were very unclean. Often we would find dried bits of food on the plates and cutlery where they hadn't been cleaned properly - I got quite ill on the second day after eating only at the restaurant (it was at this point that we started eating out for most meals). What is also very off-putting when you are eating is the waitresses constantly trying to take your plates away from you even if there is half a plate left of food in front of you.

The saving grace of the holiday was the absolutely outstanding staff. 100% effort all the time and some of the most friendly people we have ever met. If it wasn't for their kindness and positivity it would have been a much less bearable hotel experience, however we noticed that they are worked to the bone, some of them putting in 14 hour shifts 6 days a week!

Room Tip: Don't get the ground floor rooms around the central garden if you want privacy/ a front door.
1 Thank AliceSss
We would like to thank the author for their review. We of course respect the individual opinions of all of our customers.

There are a number of points in this review which we would like to clarify.
To the best of our knowledge sewage is not permitted to be discharged into the sea via this small river or any other river in Greece.

The main issue is that this river silts up and this prevents the mouth of the river discharging fully into the sea.

If there were issues with the room we invite customers
to contact the reception at the time of their holiday and not after the holiday. Most small issues can be resolved quickly and despite our pre arrival checks there will from time to time snags that were missed.

We apologise if indeed the guests found foreign objects in the food. We would however add that none of our kitchen staff have long black hair, and all food preparation staff wears protective head gear. If the explanation was not satisfactory from the restaurant manager the guests could have always asked to speak to the hotel manager.

There are certain dishes that are replicated in different formats due to public demand. Pizza and pasta are two of those dishes, our consumption levels suggest that the current format is what the majority of customers want to eat.

We only serve chips twice a week in the evening for the Greek Night and Barbeque evening.
Pizza – normally there is one selection of pizza for lunch and one for dinner.

I have personally checked the cereal selection and can find no evidence of stale food. On occasions it may become dry due to the temperature but it is most certainly not stale.
The milk does not sit out for hours.

The restaurant is prepared for service about 20 minutes before the doors open. If the milk was not to the customers taste or temperature they could have asked for cold milk.

It is unclear how the crockery and cutlery was unclean. All items are prewashed before then being washed on a hot cycle in one of the 2 dishwashers.

Without evidence to examine it is difficult to comment further. I have personally checked the restaurant today and will continue to do to make sure that we maintain an acceptable standard.
The quality of food this is subjective and apologise if this did not meet the customer’s personal expectations.

However the customer service results from First Choice suggest that the vast majority of customers are satisfied with the food. Of course there is always room for improvement and we continue to work on our menus to improve them.

Any illness must be reported to the hotel to allow them to investigate. We have no other records of illness for this period and none for the season to date. To automatically link the hotel to any illness is quite inappropriate.

The waiting staff is instructed to always ask customers if they have finished their meal. If the guests felt the plates were being removed too quickly then we would offer our apologies.

None of the staff work 14 hour shifts and working rotas are in accordance with Hellenic Law.
We again thank the authors for their feedback and very much hope that their next holiday more closely matches their expectations.

We would also like to thank the authors for the positive points raised in their review.

Zafiris Team
heleng27
Reviewed September 12, 2013

One thing you need to remember when booking a stay at the Zafaris, Is that this complex is small, it's Greece and its great value for money in terms of what First Choice offer. It's is most definitely rough round the edges but taking everything into account it met my expectations.

The location is great and the size of the hotel and the friendliness and hard working staff absolutely make this place the little gem that it is.

I traveled as a single mum with 2 girls and met another family out there.

As a vegetarian I had the best selection I have ever had at any all inclusive, there was always a great choice for me. As was there something for me annoyingly fussy children.

Angela the waitress was the nicest waitress ever, she is a major credit to the Zafaris team.

Food temp checked regularly. We saw Martin with his temp gauge thing checking food.

The entertainment guys were the best. Danny, Lemi, Larry and the lovely Angie were the best. My kids loved them and they would get people involved without any kind of pressure. The worked so hard and always looked like they were having fun.

The first choice kids club was brilliant. It was under used so no rush to sign up just turn up each day for the sessions. The guys were great and felt happy to leave the kids there.

Rooms were lovely. Walls so thick I never heard a peep outside, although any sound would have been drowned out by the air con!!!!

Things I'd change or improve are:
spruce up the saxaphone bar
have slush puppies, and ice creams in day.
All Inc until midnight.

Did I love it, yes, would I go back No.......few tweaks and this place would be fab. xxxx

Well done everyone at Zafaris, you work so hard, and deserve the great reviews. Just a few improvements needed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ZafirisHotel, Owner at Zafiris Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
We would like to thank to author for their time in writing this review. Feedback is always appreciated. As with all improvements there is a cost attached and whilst some improvements are small the cost can mount up considerably over the season.

A number of improvements have been put to the tour operator to give the hotel a face lift.
Subject to approval of all the parties involved the hotel will hopefully get a face life for 2014

Again thanks for you positive account of your holiday. It was a pleasure meeting you and we wish you all the very best.

The Zafiris Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sidari
Mareblue Beach Resort
#21 of 39 in Sidari
Damia Hotel
Damia Hotel
#11 of 39 in Sidari

Been to Zafiris Hotel? Share your experiences!