“We were completely at home at lovely Lofos....” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Lofos Kassiopi

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kassiopi
Hotel Lofos Kassiopi
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Kassiopi
Huddersfield, England, United Kingdom
“We were completely at home at lovely Lofos....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

We went to Hotel Lofos for a week from the 16th August 2013 as a couple and I must admit, I was feeling a little nervous about people saying it was very basic etc etc, and its true, it is rather basic in the typical fashion of a lot of Greek hotels but the rooms, the pool area and everywhere else in the hotel is so spotlessly clean and the staff are so genuinely hospitable and welcoming we felt instantly at home and at ease. The fact that the rooms are basic completely pales in comparison in the face of the good points of this hotel.

Our room was 303 which is in the building that has the main entrance hall to the left of the "massive hill" everyone keeps going on about! Our room faced up the hill towards the main block with the pool and bar etc. Although we didn't get the fantastic view down to the harbour, we were rather pleased with our view of the little garden in front with the massive palm tree and there was a field at the side with a lovely fig tree below. It was lovely on a morning to breakfast on the balcony (which was narrow front to back but very very wide!) and in the evening once the pool had cleared, sit and have a pre dinner drink listening to the chatter and laughter from the bar regulars and Spiros, the owner. We had an oblique view across to the pool and bar and we would often sit and chuckle whilst earwigging a bit. You also get many a friendly wave from the other guests and the owners from this room as they walk down the road! The cleaning ladies even give you a wave and when we were leaving, one of them actually helped me lift my case down the stairs in the main entrance - How lovely!!! They really all cannot do enough to make you feel welcome. This room is on the top floor of this block so there wasnt any noise from anyone walking around overhead as some people have mentioned. In fact, I don't actually recall ever hearing any unwanted noise from the other rooms/guests apart from a bit of door shutting along the corridor, but I think there were only about 4 rooms along our block and we were on the end of the run so no one was ever really walking past either. Ideal!

We tried one night without air con and after hardly sleeping we promptly went and booked it for the rest of the week. It was very reasonably priced as was the key for the safety deposit box. Lofos dont use it as an add on money spinner like a lot of hotels do and we had no qualms paying for these.

I read on another review that the beds were a bit hard so took my camping self-inflating mattress! They are a bit, and also quite low which felt a bit odd at first! The shower-room is basic with no window or fan but we did get a strange little louvered window thing out into the hall (?!) However you do get a shower curtain (I know a lot of Greek places don't even have this) and the shower area was very spacious. Some people have mentioned the towels are a little old, and they were a little flattened from use but it wasn't something that bothered us at all. I mean, its Greece in August...you only have to look at the towel once you've showered and you're dry! One thing that could be improved would be for a wall shelf or even just a hook as I had no where to hang my makeup bag so it had to sit next to the sink on the vanity top and they always get a bit wet there from splashes from the sink. I had to hang stuff on the door knob! Also, the shower works by a tap type arrangement with a diverter to send it to the shower head (a bit like youd more have over a bath really) and the bracket on the wall wouldn't hold the weight of it and kept dropping down so the shower was only really washing the wall! I reported this on the first day and was told it would be fixed, but they must have forgotten, but by the time about 4 hours had past I was already so relaxed and at home, I just didn't have the energy to care and ask again, and I just got by propping it up on the controls so it was pointing in the tray and lifting it back up when I needed a rinse. I certainly had clean feet that week.... Also, if in the future they refurb' and alter the taps for the shower, thermostatic ones would be good as they are only regular taps and when everyone's using the water the temperature did jump around a bit!

The kitchen area is laughably basic...You get one unit to house a sink bowl (no drainer!) and then the worktop extends over an undercounter fridge to house a double ring sealed-plate electric hob (you know the type that takes half an hour to get warm, then within 30 seconds your pans boiling over and it continues to do so after you turn the heat down for another 10 mins so you have to constantly be lifting it up and down off the heat!!!) and there was an extractor fan above and another wall unit only. I was expecting a random selection of utensils so we took a good sharp kitchen knife and a tiny grater (for the pasta cheese!) etc and we got by fine. We only cooked a couple of pastas and breakkie and ate out the rest of the time. Again, it wasn't a bother as we were too busy constantly giggling at how lovely it all was to care. The daft thing is, the room was so MASSIVE you could have had a much better kitchen corner! If they refurb, an extra double base unit for a bit more worktop space and a bit of a drainer on the sink would be a cheap but massive improvement!

There was plenty of clothes storage for us both, we felt. We got a double fitted wardrobe with loads of hangers and it had a tiny drawer pack at one side. We also had a dressing table with two little drawers and 2 bedside cabs with a drawer each and a hidy hole at the bottom. Plenty!

The pool - WOW! Its a really good sized pool for the amount of guests the hotel can house. It was never crowded or noisy, but really clean and very deep. I think it went from about 1m 30 to 2m 50 or something so really good for a proper swim. The little pink flowers from the plants on round the edge blow off and float on the water and make it feel really spa like!!! There was ALWAYS plenty of sun loungers. (No running down at 7am to put a towel out!). You could even breeze down at 11 am and have your pick of loungers. We liked going on the little grass area under the olive trees. The view from the large terrace area at the end of the pool is wonderful down to the harbour!

The bar/snack area at the top of the pool serves a basic selection of lunches and breakfasts. Breakfast normally started at 9am but on the first day we had booked to go horseriding at Dimitris Stables and were being picked up early, so they agreed we could go for breakfast at 8 (so accommodating and hospitable!) They also serve a great iced coffee and the prices are extremely reasonable to say that with the hotel being just out of the main town, sometimes people charge a bonus for having a captive audience, but everything was very good value. As a lot of other people have mentioned, the 13euro saturday night Greek evening barbeque is completely unmissable! I think the Saturday we were there EVERYONE in the hotel was in attendance and the place was buzzing! It was so busy we shared a table with another couple (who turned out to have very similar interests to ourselves so we had a fantastic evening!) and they bring you a lovely selection of barbequed meats from the lovely open air barbeque and oven they have on the terrace, along with a huge greek salad and breads. The two guys and the girl that did the dancing were very cheeky and funny and got everyone up - its a fantastic ice breaker and gets all the guests mixing. If you go to Lofos its a must-do, you wont regret it even if you're a bit shy about getting dragged up!

Kassiopi on the whole is a nice place. The harbour is picturesque and the nucleus of an evening down in town. There are some great places to sit and enjoy a cocktail with lovely views down by the harbour. I read a lot of reviews about the restaurants before we went but can honestly say we never had a bad meal at all. We didn't even have an average meal, we enjoyed everything, particularly the Mezze at Castillos which we felt was really good value and the litre of wine (hic) was rather good. We had a fantastic meal at Uncle Simo's on the last night (another couple we spoke to said they had a meal they didnt enjoy there but I think Simo's was the best meal we had) it was finished off with a spectacular power cut which left nearly the whole town without power for about an hour (apart from the ones that had their own generators - cue an impromptu cocktail at Jasmine bar on the way back, who did have power ... what a shame!) One of the waiters at Uncle Simo's put his motorcycle lamp on so people could see!

The town was lively on a very small scale. I was a little concerned about how lively it would be as that's not my sort of thing, I like things quite typically Greek and small scale and the town does look quite geared towards the British tourist with a few bars showing sky sports and that sort of thing, but everything is kept low key and it has a very welcoming, non-threatening atmosphere. All the staff in the bars and restaurants we visited seemed genuinely friendly and hospitable, not like some other resorts/places where they seem only to be smiling whilst trying to extract your euros. If anyone is looking for a week of partying all night, Kassiopi isn't the place to visit, but for perhaps one slightly boozy night out in your holiday and then lots of ambling around sampling the lovely food, atmosphere and hospitality then it does tick all the boxes.

After you've enjoyed a bit of an evening out having a nice meal and a few cocktails, the hotel is just the perfect distance out of town to be away from the entertainment and any of the residual noise and it really is only a handful of minutes down to the centre and the harbour. In fact, I thought the walk down to the town was a lovely start to an evening out and absolutely no hardship at all. The hill is only very gradual until you get right to the hotel. Seriously though, this massive hill everyone's on about in front of the hotel entrance comprises about 30 steps to the front door and anyone of average health would have no problem whatsoever with it.

There are some great trips that you can book through Olympic, but it is true they can be booked cheaper down in the town from Cosmic and there are a couple of other companies in the town that do trips, so check those out. We only did an hour horse riding which we booked with Dimitri's Stables before we went (it was great! we rode down to the beach!) and did quite a bit of exploring by foot to the various beaches, such as the Avlaki beach on the way back from the horse riding, and then were so chilled out we just flopped around by the hotel and couldn't find the energy to go on a trip after lifting all those excellent iced coffees!

If I could pick up Hotel Lofos and all the staff and the cheeky ginger cat that wanders around the place and take it with me to any place/resort I wanted to visit I would stay there every single time. I've never felt so welcomed and instantly at ease and happy at any other hotel we have stayed at. If I could ever get stuck in a ground-hog day scenario it would be a never ending perfect day at Lofos! I almost didn't want to do a review as its such a good secret to give away but the staff at Lofos deserve a great review for all the hard work they put in and getting it so right! Thank you all for a very memorable, lovely holiday!

Room Tip: Room 303 is huge and has a lovely uphill garden view of the main block, bar and pool with a massive...
6 Thank Clare E

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Just back from LOFOS hotel in kassiopi, we had a great stay. The rooms were well kept, and spotless. The cleaners were lovely and friendly, and very good. The owners were great and very helpful, nothing too much trouble. The pool is lovely and very well kept, and the bar serves good food. Nice and peaceful. Steep hill, but worth it for view. Will be back, soon.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gary s
suffolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

Not long returned from the Lofos and must admit after reading some of the reviews on here, was a little worried about what to expect. I had read the reviews about room 306 and it became a bit of a joke in our party saying "we will be ok as long as we don't get room 306"! We were meet by Pipetsa(?) the owner and were given our room numbers and yes one of them was room 306! Our lovely friends who came with us said no worries they would swap. Room 306 is probably one of the biggest rooms there, in actual fact it is 2 rooms and you also get 2 bathrooms, I think the only down side was it smelt a little musty due to no ventilation in the bathrooms. The rooms were kept very clean. There isn't much in the way of cooking utensils but to be honest not a problem for me as I don't go on holiday to cook! The bar area serves snacks and drinks throughout the day and was very reasonable, you can also buy your water from here which was €2 for 6 bottles. The pool area was kept very clean and there were always sunbeds available. The views were amazing. It was only a short walk into Kassiopi where there is a great choice of restaurants, our favourite was the Grill & Chill which was always packed but they will reserve a table for you, it was so nice we ended up going 3 times. Some people have posted that the Lofos is basic, but you're in Greece and Greece accommodation is basic. The owners and their staff are very friendly and I can see why people return year after year. All in all it was a great holiday and I would certainly return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank marmiterocks67
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Very,very,very basic but quaint. Can't for the life of me understand why people go back year after year but that IS only my opinion.Breakfast was delightful and the staff equally delightful. We were told transfers from airport was approx 1 hour 15 mins but was actually 2 hours (just a pointer and a nod to Olympic. Cheers for that)!!!

Room Tip: Room 202 was very nicely situated.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank chrissie b
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Have just returned from 2 lovely weeks at the Lofos Hotel,Kassiopi. It delivers just what it says a clean and pleasant apartment hotel in a beautiful spot overlooking the lovely resort of Kassiopi. This is a perfect spot to enjoy the beautiful north east of Corfu. Our apartment was small but clean and enjoyed fabulous views of both the harbour and hills. The kitchen facilities are typically Greek, just the bare minimum but good enough to prepare a breakfast or a simple lunch. The pool area is lovely, enough beds to go around with an attractive bar area serving good value meals. The weekly Greek night is well worth attending. The only drawback is the very steep drive so if you are in any way infirm this is not the hotel for you.

Kassiopi is a lovely resort, plenty of places to eat with some livelier bars if you want some entertainment. The resort is family orientated and caters best for families or couples. Beaches are small and stony, perfect for snorkelling but don't come here if you want huge sandy beaches.

Did 3 excursions via Cosmic Travel in Kassiopi. East Coast Tour, Evening Cruise to Corfu town (magical trip back under the stars) and Sunset Trip (take your mosquito spray). All excellent value and much cheaper than via Olympic for the same trips.

Room Tip: We booked a basic room (didn't pay for sea view) and got a fabulous spot with view of hills and...
1 Thank Beverley x
richmond
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband and I spent a week here in August.
The reviews on Tripadvisor helped us make our decision and I'm so glad we came here.
We arrived at about 5 am and followed the Olympic Rep up the steep slope to our room (the slope isn't too bad).
When we opened our door to our balcony in the morning, we couldn't believe the fabulous view (our itinerary said we would have an inland view so we felt very lucky).
We had breakfast at the hotel restaurant each day and the price was very reasonable and we also had lunch there on about 4 days. I usually had a lovely Greek salad for 5€.
Pipita (the owner) and Olia (the waitress) were always , without exception totally charming, friendly and delightful. We didn't really have any dealings with the man that owned the place (sorry I have forgotten his name) but he did a most fantastic BBQ evening on Saturday night with some Greek dancers brought in. It was probably the best night of our holiday and was only 13€ each with drinks charged extra. I would recommend to any future guests to go to this evening.
The swimming pool was beautiful and clean (it looked brand new to me) and the view from the pool was fantastic. The sunbeds looked brand new too.
As said before, the maid came in on 6 of the 7 days. Don't think the sheets were ever changed for clean ones but then again at home I only change the sheets once a week so it wouldn't be too 'green' to do this more often. Towels changed once I think, but that was fine too.
Kassiopi itself is just lovely down by the harbour and we went to the beach one day with the beautiful clear water, although quite painful on soles of feet going into the water!
Our favourite restaurant in Kassiopi was called Kima or Tokima and we went there on our first and last evenings. We weren't going to order a desert, but you get a complimentary one anyway. You can find it by walking down the main street from Lofos and turning to the left when you get to the harbour, walking past the 2 or 3 bars next to the harbour, it s then on your left with about 10 steps up to it.
We went on 2 trips (booked in the town as we reckoned we saved a third on the price that Olympic would have charged through their rep). One was the evening trip to Corfu town where we had dinner. It was a good trip worth doing. We also went to Paxos & Anti Paxos which was a very nice trip, but bear in mind that we were first on the coach and spent 2 hours to get to the docks in Corfu Town picking other people up and then 3 hours each way on the boat. On the coach journey back the Kassiopi people got dropped off first thank goodness, but am not sure whether that was by luck or a police car and possible accident down the road that the coach should have gone down.
All in all I have to say that this was one of my best ever holidays and for a very, very reasonable price and I fully intend to go back to the Lofos in the not too distant future.
We also met some other very nice Lofos guests.

3 Thank englandrugbyfan
west midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We have just returned from the Lofos Hotel/apartments.
We stayed in a studio room-401.
Firstly this is a 3 star hotel therefore you should expect basic especially as its a Greek 3 star.
Room:
The room was basic, it had a bed, small wardrobe, small shower room and the most basic kitchen facilities that you can think of. It was however large, with a nice large sunny balcony, with clean sheets and clean towels (slightly old worn towels). So if your going away to cook don't book here but if your going to have your breakfast its fine. The rooms were cleaned 6 times per week and towels were changed twice.
The pool/bar and general area was kept clean and tidy. The pool bar did excellent food and drink at very reasonable prices (3 euros for a large beer). The owners & their staff couldn't have been more friendly, they were all absolutely lovely.
The pool bar does close around 7/8pm so after that you need to go into town/room.
Location: The Lofos is on top of a hill, it has breath taking views. We personally had no problems about the hill but I know some did have a moan!
Kassiopi is stunning, if you want an 18-30 holiday with night clubs this is NOT for you, if you want beautiful food in a stunning fishing village it def is for you!
We did two trips-Albania (interesting but long), Corfu town via boat at night (lovely)- booked with Cosmic in town (helpful).
Our favourite meals were at Dons, slightly off the town centre but on the road back to hotel via the back roads.
So would we go back to the Lofos? Yep we would, would we recommend it? Yes but only if you are happy with a basic room with a fab location and lovely staff.
Feel free to inbox me for any details.

Room Tip: best views are the ones facing pool.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kassiopi
Melina Bay Hotel
#3 of 39 in Kassiopi
Donna Amalia Apartments
Donna Amalia Apartments
#6 of 39 in Kassiopi

Been to Hotel Lofos Kassiopi? Share your experiences!