“Superb!”
Review of Maison Donamaria

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
Maison Donamaria
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Jean Francois was the most outstanding host I have ever come across. What a gentleman. He met me at the train station , took me to the pilgrim's office, booked my first nights accommodation on the Camino, invited me to join his family for a home cooked meal all on my first evening. The next morning he assisted me with my extra luggage at the post office and took me to the supermarket and bank. This man went way beyond his duties. His kindness and generosity knew no bounds. My room was lovely too! I highly recommend a stay at this delightful guesthouse.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank JulieMuir

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed 2 nights with Jean woody in Sept 13 and were thoroughly pleased with our experience. And why not! Our host was full of information and tips for our walk. Beautiful gardens and delightfully positioned on a lovely river. Just remember, you need a coat to get into Jean Woodys house at night!

Room Tip: Find out how to get there before you get to St Jean!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tim G
Reviewed November 5, 2013

The accommodation here is comfortable, stylish in a quirky but creative way, very clean and light and really quiet and refreshing. Set away from the bustle of the small town of St Jean Pied de Port, it is a pleasant walk along the river to go to and from the town and just far away so that you don't hear any traffic or tourists, just the sound of the river and occasional flocks of sheep. (Do check a map if you are trying to find it the first time though). Jean-Francois, the host, is a quiet, gentle and helpful man who knows the area extremely well, and is happy to give you any advice you seek and he also serves a good breakfast as well. I stayed here before commencing the Camino de Santiago and Jean-Francois was lovely enough to make me a walking stick from a branch in his own backyard which he decorated for me. The stick was a wonderful "friend" over my walk and brought back good memories of staying in his hostel and how kind he had been to me.

Room Tip: I only saw a couple of rooms but they were both nice. I'm sure Jean-Francois will choose one for...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank muse59
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed for one night before we set off on camino. Old world B&B nestled beside a brook with fab views of mountains. 5 min walk from centre via a lovely riverbank walkway and bridge but so quiet it seemed in the heart of the countryside. All mod cons provided and bed very comfortable. Our host was very welcoming and provided lovely breakfast before we set off and offered great advice for our camino. We highly recommend a stay here .

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Fiona D
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We recently stayed at Maison Donamaria in St.Jean Pied de Port. Jean-Francois was the consummate host and went out of his way to accommodate the needs of 2 weary and wet GR10 hikers....and the breakfast makes me drool when I think about it! He is knowledgeable about this area and very willing to share his expertise. Thanks to you again for your many kindnesses,Jean-Francois. You and your countrymen and women are just fabulous! All best and may our paths cross again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed in Maison Donamaria for one night before we started on our Camino adventure. The B&B is charming and Jean-Francois is a font of knowledge for the traveller and a charming man. The house is traditional with rooms that are clean, quiet and comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Clare M
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I had the good luck to stay with Jean-Francois back in July, after a month of travelling. He is a most charming host and very eager to please his guests. Moreover he is a fountain of knowledge on many subjects, from local hiking trails to the history of the many ancient anvils that decorate his house.
Donamaria is a classic old building that grabs your attention the minute you enter it and you can choose from a whole library of books if you are so inclined and settle on the couch ....or you can go outside and enjoy the charming garden and swimmingpool. There is also a river flowing right next to the property.....beautiful setting! The location is just far enough away from the very busy center of town (bubbling with Camino pilgrims) to give you a feeling of a retreat and relaxation.
Great memories!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Brig555
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
Hotel Ramuntcho
#2 of 13 in Saint-Pee-sur-Nivelle
Maison d'hotes Itzalpea
Maison d'hotes Itzalpea
#5 of 20 in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port

Been to Maison Donamaria? Share your experiences!