Regattas of Abaco
Pelican Beach Villas(Marsh Harbour)(Great Value!)
$225
$218
$315
Hope Town Harbour Lodge(Hope Town)(Great Value!)
$150
AscendHotels
Bahama Beach Club(Treasure Cay)
$300
  • Pool
$189
$183
$172
Travelocity
Hope Town Inn & Marina(Hope Town)(Great Value!)
$275
All reviewsbeach towelsminute walktreasure cayfull bathnice beachmaster bedroomcar rentalfishtownsunitstvriseabacomermaidreefgroceriesboat
Reviewed November 13, 2011

My week as a guest of Abaco Towns by the Sea (ATBTS) was the most relaxing vacation I have experienced thus far in my adult life. Allow me to preface this review by stating that if you have never stayed on this island, you would have been in for a surprise without this bit of knowledge. Abaco, pronounced AHH-buh-co, is less developed and does not have the elegant five-star resorts hogging the shore line. The international airport is comprised of one compact building that shuffles visitors in and out quickly, yet efficiently. The roads are not well-marked with street signs nor are they paved on a consistent basis. Driving is on the left side of the road; I almost forgot, but gratefully, the rental car company had KEEP LEFT stuck to the rear view mirror. Marsh Harbour has one traffic light; it looks like another will be in place soon at the highway to Treasure Cay, which will be a welcomed addition. I missed that highway a few times, for lack of a street sign, while trying to head to Treasure Cay. I’d recommend you rent a car for the day and drive over to the Treasure Cay beach. I prefer not to stay there on my next trip, but those looking for a more expansive beach might want to consider that side of the island instead.

ATBTS is part timeshare, part privately-owned condos. The common areas are shared, including tennis courts, a swimming pool and cozy beach. The residents on property were very friendly; most retired to the island. The unit was a clean, fully stocked, two-bedroom, two full bath condo directly on the beach. I walked out the patio doors and within seconds had my toes dug into the sand. The units are not glamorous, but have everything one needs to be comfortable including A/C and a television – Woo hoo! One can catch the sunrise from the beach; what a magnificent sight.

Be aware that the resort office has short hours. All staff members I encountered were courteous and helpful. I was provided with a map of the island and given some suggestions for dining, groceries and tours. I inquired about renting a vehicle and was directed to a location just a little ways down the road. (I also rented a bicycle. More information can be found in my Rental Wheels review.) As recommended, I walked to Maxwell’s supermarket and hired a cab to take me back to the resort. The initial walk was a little shocking as the final road to Maxwell’s seems never ending. I confirmed my path of travel with three young girls who encouraged me to “Just go straight, straight, straight. You go straight, straight” as they motioned with their hands. Sure enough, I found it. The prices for everything are extremely high compared to similar items purchased in the United States ($9 for your basic frozen pizza, $11 for a 1.75 quart of ice cream). No, these are not hiked up prices for tourists. Keep in mind, just about all products are imported and therefore come with import taxes.

Don’t be startled, but almost half of the drivers will offer you a ride if they see you walking; seems to be customary. As a solo traveler, I simply thanked them for their generosity and kept walking in the Bahamian sun to my destination. (I also experienced that courtesy when I took the ferry over to Hope Town.) So, was it all worth it? That question receives a resounding ABSOLUTELY.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with children, the units on the beach are a great option. They provide easy access to the water. If those units are not available, I suggest requesting a unit on the second floor; the ocean view is phenomenal. You have to catch the sunrise at least one morning; it will not disappoint.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
12  Thank iluv2go2
Reviewed November 11, 2010

Just got back from another trip to the Abacos. This is our second time staying at the Regattas (Abacos Town by the Sea). We had a wonderful time. The condo we had was right on the water, great view, very clean and adequate. Walking distance to several restauants, shopes and the boat dock. As usual we rented a boat from Sea Horse. We visited several of the other islands around, Treasure Cay, Elbow Cay, Man of Way Cay, Great Guana Cay, Cherokee Sound and Green Turtle Cay. Bought our groceries at the NEW Maxwell's. The store has everything you need and yes it is expensive but not worth the price you have to pay to carry things in your luggage. Actually ground chuck was only $3.99 pound, on the other hand ice cream was almost $12 a carton. We used Capt. James as our fishing guide. He is incredible. Caught lobster, couch and tons of fish which we ate for two nights. The Abacos is one of my favorite places to go, relaxing and gorgeous.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank rhonda m
Reviewed January 10, 2009

My husband and I traveled to Marsh Harbor with another couple early Dec. of 2008. This was our first time staying in Marsh Harbor. We really liked the Regattas. It's nothing fancy but very adequate....why would you want fancy in the Abacos?? We had two bedrooms, two baths, kitchen, sitting room and a GREAT view. The location is fantastic. We could walk to several restaurants, shops, car rental and we even walked to the place we rented our boat.....Sea Horse. By the way Sea Horse is not only walking distance but has good boats and prices. We also rented a car for a few days (the wind kept us off the boat for a day or two). Chris, in the office, was a wealth of information. You don't need to take beach towels, they are provided. I mention that since they did take up considerable room in our luggage. Grocery stores are not far and have great selections. This was our fourth trip to the Abacos, we have stayed in Elbow Cay and Treasure Cay in the past. If anyone has questions please feel free to e-mail.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank rhonda m
Reviewed March 10, 2008

I rate this resort above average because of the friendliness of the guests, owners, and staff working there, the great location to shops, eating places, ferries, and dive shop Dive Abaco which was also great. You do not need to rent a car but if you wish to, there is a rental agency down the street. Grocery store is a short taxi ride or about a 15 minute walk. I stayed on a timeshare exchange through RCI. I've stayed at lots of timeshares, being a timeshare owner (though not at Regattas), and these were the friendliest people I've ever met. Don't expect luxurious accommodations but our unit was very adequate and clean. all units are two bedrooms, two baths, and we stayed in unit #76 on the end and had a beautiful view of the water, as do all the timeshare units. Contrary to what you may hear, you do have one television. They use to not have tv's but they do now. We had to pay $15 for a blender for the week which was kind of annoying, and a utility fee of around $66 for the week and a $10 or $15 security fee. Utility fees in the caribbean are not unusual so I was not surprised. I would go back to this resort in a heartbeat. We loved it there.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank ScubadooScubadoo
Reviewed August 2, 2005

We were in unit 79 by the water. everything you could want was in the unit. dish tv even. Staff was excellent. We would go back for sure. eating out was pricey. The grocery store was a short taxi ride away about 5 dollars. Salad was very costly while everything else was about 25% higher than the states. Beer was $50 a case while rum and vokoa was cheap. Lunch out was $30 to 40 for two persons, while dinner was about $75 for two persons.

• Stayed: July 2005