“O.k. but nothing special”
Review of Mangoes Restaurant

Mangoes Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood, Bahamian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We are extremely excited to announce that Chef Clem has leased Mangoes restaurant and it is NOW OPEN FOR BUSINESS!
Reviewed July 17, 2011

We ate at Mangoes twice during our trip to Abaco. On the first visit, we ordered the seafood platter to share. The conch fritters were greasy and there wasn't much conch; the dipping sauce was awful. As another reviewer noted, it really needs a spicy sauce. The coconut shrimp were o.k., the chicken wings were way overcooked, so were impossible to eat. I don't remember what else was on the platter; it was pretty unremarkable.

I asked a server where the restrooms were, and she sent me off in the opposite direction, telling me to go left, when they actually were to the right. Very strange. The view of the marina from the outside deck is very pretty.

The second visit we both ordered the hamburger. They actually were the best we ate the entire trip. Cooked perfectly, and the fries were also good. It's actually sad that the best item on the menu was not any seafood item, but a burger. It was really hot on this visit, and they didn't have the fans on, and it was very uncomfortable.

Service was average on both visits; not awful, but nothing special. Note that on their webpage, the menu listed is not the current one. Prices have gone up since that one was posted, and some of the menu selections have changed.

Would I eat here again? Only for the burgers.

1  Thank gracie-boo

Reviewed March 16, 2011

I must have been in a different Mangoes Restaurant than the other reviewers. Our party of 4 finished a great week of cruising Abaco Sound with a dinner here. We were seated in a great spot at the back corner of the restaurant with windows on both sides looking out onto all the activity at the marina. We ordered drinks - I had been sampling the rum punch at every possible place; this was easily the worst. It was all pineapple juice and cloying sweetness and could not compare with the versions at Nipper's or Pete's Pub. My wife had a very average glass of white wine.

The conch fritter appetizer had good chunks of chewy conch, but the dipping sauce had none of the required spice to light this dish up and they were quite greasy, indicating that they were inexpertly fried.

I ordered the cracked conch, which are deep-fried strips of conch. It arrived in a plain, tasteless, light batter and were, once again, swimming in grease. I could only eat a few and then concentrated on the sides - the coleslaw was plain and forgettable but the peas and rice were excellent. My wife ordered the mixed seafood platter, which came with a Caribbean lobster tail, several shrimp and mussels, and a piece of fish. She was totally unimpressed, especially after a similar menu at Pirate's Cove on Great Guana Cay which was excellent.

The service was competent, but perfunctory. Overall I felt that everyone here was just going through the motions of operating a restaurant, which is a shame because it was easily the most expensive meal of the trip.

1  Thank ChrisMaurer
Reviewed March 13, 2009

My wife and I, along with our guest, dined at Mangoes last evening and I felt moved to report that it was truly a wonderful meal and dining experience. This was helped no less by the owner, John, circulating amongst his guests to ensure everything was just as they expect - which it was! The staff seemed very efficient. The food (catch of the day - grouper in our case) was fresh, beautifully cooked and presented. Along with the setting; watching beautiful boats in the marina and harbour plus the most amazing sun-set, what better way to enjoy an evening. We've been before and we'll certainly return for more of the same!

1  Thank perkypelican
Reviewed March 4, 2009

Mangoes is under new management and has been since August of 08'. New menu, helpful and courteous staff and the food is fabulous!

1  Thank Islandhopper36
Reviewed June 17, 2007

Mangoes is an excellent restaurant I have eaten there many times over numerous visits since 1991 and have always had a good experience. Whether you dine in the restaurant or enjoy the bar atmosphere overlooking the harbour you are sure to enjoy your time... Especially when they have live music.

1  Thank Willis_wife