“Dining at the Raven Grill”

The Golf Club at Lora Bay
Ranked #3 of 10 things to do in Thornbury
More attraction details
Owner description: Nestled in the Blue Mountains on the shores of Georgian Bay, there could be no better place o play the game you love, especially when the game is being played on a 7,100 yard championship layout, co-designed by PGA Tour professional Tom Lehman and Canada's premier golf course architect Thomas McBroom.
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Ambiance is spectacular, good view of golf and bay. However the food and the service sucks. Steak ordered Med/Rare came well done, Fried onion and mushroom garnish was very cold (as was the steak and fries}. My partners Soup was requested to be very very hot and it came luke warm her grilled sandwich and fries arrived cold. Service was spotty with a few requests not fulfilled. We wondered why the place was near empty but we now know why. This dining room has been highly advertised locally as quality dining so went to try it out. Consequently it will be our last visit. There is no excuse for this.

3  Thank Richard L
"pricing"
"tournament"
"sites"

Reviewed August 26, 2011

I am an average golfer and not a long hitter, aged 65. I found Lora Bay to be an interesting course but way to tough for an average golfer. There are lots-I mean lots-of traps and they were in very poor shape. The sand was as hard as limestone fines and sounded very thin, they had not been raked. Also it is an unfair course for average golfers; the sandtraps are all over the place, hard not to be in them. As one designed said, traps should not be in front of a green-if you play the fairway there should not be traps in your way, it is not about how difficult the course can be designed rather it should be clear and enjoyable unless you are not hitting reasonably straight. Also the cart paths are a way out from the tees and the greens, a constant long walk. These two features made the game more than a challenge, to the point that our group was disappointed.
If you are long hitter and single digit handicap, or think you are then you will like the course. At $125 it is not for the average golfer.

2  Thank Moose20
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Muskoka type layout with lots of sand and elevation changes -nicely designed BUT, the tee blocks were too far from the paths, the greens were slow, the fairways were not cropped short and some of the bunkers had water in them.

1  Thank travelwiseOakville
Reviewed March 4, 2011

This course is absolutely breath taking! I was really glad I brought my camera on the day I golfed at Raven! I'm not much of a golfer but this course makes me crave it.

1  Thank Sumcute
See more reviews
Reviewed June 15, 2010

I have played the Lora Bay club four or five times since it first opened. I love playing in the Collingwood area, and this course ranks right at the top. I have also played Oslerbrook, Cranberry, Monterra, and Georgian Bay. This course ranks far ahead of both Cranberry and Monterra, and probably on the same level as the Georgian Bay and Oslerbrook. However, I think that Lora Bay has better views and is a more challenging course (I am a 10 handicap), and I love everything about the course. The service is friendly and very knowledgeable, the food is excellent, and practice facilities are always in great shape. My favorite is the par 3 16th, a significant downhill hole where you could play a short iron one day, and a threewood the next. The view from this tee box is worth the price of the green fee, especially in the fall.

If you are in the area, it is definitely worth a look. I know it will be on my courses to play this summer and fall……enjoy

1  Thank Stan-the-man91