“The mussels saved the day”

The Dam Pub Gastropub
Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Thornbury
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A popular family owned Gastropub set in the quaint village of Thornbury, Ontario. We are featured regularly on The Food Network's "You Gotta Eat Here!" Folks come for miles to enjoy Chef Rob Lussier's culinary delights, over 900 whiskies in Stephanie's Whisky Bar, and our impeccable service with seasoned waiters. All this nestled into our circa 1875 house with a welcoming and cozy ambience. Reservations highly recommended.
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I've been here twice. Service was poor the first time but good the second. On the first visit (dinner), I had the mussels to start (fantastic!) and the lamb shank as a main (tough and chewy and disappointing). The second time I went was for lunch. I just stuck with the mussels. The sauce is fantastic (coconut curry). Hubby liked his soup. Thornbury is such a pretty town, it's nice to have good spot to stop for lunch.

1  Thank Creepela
Gord P, Owner at The Dam Pub Gastropub, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

My apologies for responding to your review in such a tardy fashion. I have just now been going over our reviews and I am very concerned about this one. Firstly I apologize for our misgivings. It sounds like we were having one of those days. If you visit again, (I hope you will) please be aware that we like to look after these sort of problems on the spot. Please ask to speak to the manager. It is our family policy that all shortcomings are addressed satisfactorily on the spot. Thank you. We value your opinion.

Reviewed November 19, 2011

Deceptively cottage-like from the outside but open the door to a comfortable home away from home that serves OVER 600 WHISKEYS!!!!
Although only had great double-fried french fries, the menu looks fabulous with weekly activity specials. If I was a local I'd be in there every night!
But the real star of the show is their bar with a wall of scotches that will make any grown-up weak at the knees.
Topped off by the lovely and dynamic duo of Simone, who will pour you a golden pint of
Gunn & Innes on tap while she takes your order, and, Tina, the master of the scotch catalogue who will sniff you through some aromatic nectars.
Bruce Street in Thornbury has some really interesting eateries worth visiting but THE DAM PUB is at the top of the hill, literally, as well as for the economy of the menu and the selection of the glorious scotches.
Check it out in any season.

1  Thank Doug W
Reviewed October 31, 2011

This well known pub has just celebrated it's sixth anniversary, and keeps getting better. Set in an historic Thornbury Victorian century house, it has loads of charm, and a warm inviting atmosphere. The staff are very welcoming, friendly and professional, and enjoy serving their guests, a mixture of locals, and visitors.
Stephanie the owner, clearly takes great pride in providing a memorable pub experience to all. We recently visited the Dam Pub with a group of friends from Toronto, and enjoyed the steaming hot, traditional pub fare, and a few of the daily specials, all of which were delicious. The meal portions were generous and came with perfectly cooked grilled vegetables. Although I personally dislike the term Gastro Pub, the chef here has set a new a new benchmark in pub dining, with excellent versions of traditional fare, such as Lamb Shanks, Shephards Pie, Steak and Kidney, Haggis, as well as offering an excellent selection of fish, and pasta specials.
This Quaich Society recognized pub is probably best known for it's 600 plus Whiskies available, but don't let that fool you, the dining was excellent. As we were celebrating 4 birthdays, we did treat ourselves to some whisky tasting, and despite being very busy, Stephanie took the time to give us interesting information on each selections and the nuances of drinking them. The Chocolate Pate served with 16 year old Laguvalin was mind blowing.

2  Thank Elenriel
Reviewed September 13, 2011

If you are in this area of Ontario you must visit this Scottish themed pub. Yes, it has over 500 whiskies, but for me it was the friendly welcome and the excellent food. I had the liver and my husband the special prime rib - both were cooked to perfection.

1  Thank HolidayMad008
Reviewed August 27, 2011

A terrific restaurant. excellent food reasonably priced, great atmosphere and terrific service.One of the best restaurants we've dined at in a long time. We'll be back.

1  Thank jakobj