“An Amazing Experience”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Paraparaumu
GreenLeadersGold level
“An Amazing Experience”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I loved every minute of my stay here! The property is breathtakingly gorgeous with plenty to see and more grounds to roam than you would ever expect. The perfectly manicured lawn, the personalized welcome sign, and the hosts Ralph and Letizia are what begin your experience here (and it is an experience rather than a stay). All the rooms are well decorated, luxurious, and very spacious, which would be enough to make this an excellent listing, but it is the grounds, the food, and the hosts that make it an experience. The paths through the nikau forest took me by complete surprise, as it seemed to go on forever. Do not pass up the opportunity to use the spa in the midst of this amazing scenery. I did, and I truly regret it (especially after listening to another in our party who made the time). The food was delicious - every single course. My "best for last" are Letizia and Ralph. They are a fun and clever couple that made my stay seem like I was visiting old friends rather than a lodge. I laughed my way through my meals and left knowing I wanted to return as soon as the opportunity presents itself again. It will be certainly be one of my high points in my travels through New Zealand!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ellie Z

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reviewed October 8, 2013

On our travel to a conference in Wellington, we luckily followed the travel advice of Malcolm at Breckenridge Lodge, Napier, to stay at Greenmantle Estate Lodge on the Kapiti Coast as our preferred interests are in gourmet food and natural surroundings, not being city people.
This proved to be a fantastic recommendation. Not only is the Lodge set up as deservedly one rated ‘New Zealand Luxury Lodge’ , but the personality of the hosting owner couple Ralph, a New Zealander and wife Letizia, Italian born, is an experience in its own right. . The combination of their Dream Lodge in high luxury and classy style with the gourmet food experiences completed an unforgettable time in our New Zealand journey. Food in the evening as well the multi-course breakfast has the influence of Italy with the very best ingredients of New Zealand produce. We couldn’t stop eating and couldn’t stop having highly exciting conversations. We can only repeat ‘ we are grateful for Malcolm’s recommendation to this Oasis with an incredible combination of formal colourful and scented gardens (smell lilac until the roses are available!) With a pristine Nikau palm forest – unexpected so close to a city!
Our tour through the lower North Island confirmed our approach to choose our accommodation from the “Luxury Lodges of New Zealand” group.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bushpark
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed at Greenmantle for a birthday celebration and loved every minute of it. The hosts, Ralph and Letizia, made us feel incredibly welcome. The suite was luxurious and very tastefully decorated. We also loved the hot-tub nestled into the Nikau forest. Letizia cooked traditional Italian food for us on the night which was beautiful. We would definitely recommend a stay to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Moniko1511
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed August 17, 2013

From the moment we arrived at Greenmantle Estate, we knew we were in for something really special. Our names were written on a blackboard by the drive (ladies first, of course!) and in front of the house were the most spectacular cacti flowers I have ever seen. Our lovely hosts, Letizia and Ralph, were there to greet us and made us feel immediately at home. We felt the outside world just slip away.

It would be very easy in a place this luxurious for you to feel like you didn't belong, but Letizia and Ralph's relaxed and natural manner made you feel like they were genuinely thrilled to be able to share their oasis with others - especially you. Ralph was charming and attentive while Letizia had a Sardinian elegance and passion for food that was equally endearing. We were lucky enough to be able to view some of the other rooms - I would like to go back and stay in all of them. I can't remember all of their names, but I do remember the Magnifico Suite complete with clawfoot bath (every girl's dream) and a Rapunzel style balcony overlooking the property; The Fantail Room, where the doves (white, of course) come in to roost; and the Tui suite, like the Pohutukawa suite where we stayed, a step apart from the house with the closest access to the outdoor spa nestled in the Nikau forest. I'm a New Zealander and love the NZ bush. I have walked several of the nine Great Walks and I can honestly say that this privately owned, fully mature, self-seeding Nikau forest is the most beautiful I have seen. Greenmantle is worth visiting for this alone.

Sitting at the dinner table with silver cutlery and crockery handed down through the generations, you could imagine the music been played on the mezzanine above you (which sometimes happens!). With the whole experience, you couldn't help but feel that every detail had been considered - did they deliberately give you a tour of the garden at exactly the time the ducks would be swimming in the pond and that the sunset would look its most magnificent setting through the winter trees? Did Ralph deliberately feed the doves as you were sitting down to breakfast so you would see them swoop in across the garden?

Greenmantle is a destination in its own right, but if you come to Wellington, it's worth the short drive to get there. And by the way, the breakfast tea (unique to Greenmantle) is worth a third cup!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lucy B
Oamaru, New Zealand
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

I had the distinct pleasure of a two-night stay at the lovely Greenmantle Estate, enjoying the exceptional hospitality of hosts Ralph and Letizia. Our room was in one of the pavilion suites, aptly names "Magnifico" and it lived up to its name. On our first evening here, hosts Ralph and Letizia prepared per-dinner canapés to go with a complimentary bottle of prosecco; given Letizia's Sardinian upbringing, we were delighted that she prepared dishes representative of the island, prepared using both NZ and imported ingredients. Dinner, too, was a beautiful mélange of Italy and NZ, and each dish was beautiful in both flavour and presentation, and prepared by Letizia herself.

In the morning, after an excellent breakfast, I spent the day enjoying the grounds of the lodge. There are many corners to explore, especially in the highly architectural gardens, with ponds, ducks, doves, exotic plants (the agave is worth a visit here alone!) and of course the beautiful lodge itself. When I finally tore myself away from the property, I was pleasantly surprised by the things to do in the nearby area of Waikanae and Paraparaumu. Had I been here in nicer weather, I would certainly have availed myself of a visit to nearby Kapiti Island, with its nature preserve, but I was quite happy with the beaches and the extensive Southward auto museum. In summer I might not have even left the lodge at all, preferring to laze at the pool with a book or enjoy a soak in the hot tub in the incredible Nikau Forest above the lodge.

Dinner on my second night was prepared by the charming professional chef on staff, and was also exceptional, with a handsomely presented menu personalised for all guests. We sat with the chef in the sitting room after dinner, enjoying discussing the delicious meal we had just enjoyed, and chatting again with the lovely Ralph and Letizia.

It's a sign of a wonderful lodge that, on leaving, we felt like we were saying goodbye to friends, rather than mere "hosts", and we look forward to the opportunity to spend more time here in the future.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2013

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were treated not only as guests but as family members by the owners Ralph and Letizia.
The room was not only sumptuous and inviting but well positioned to catch the last of the afternoon sun which on the day that we arrived was very apparent, our hosts left a lovely fruit bowl which was a personal touch.
Canapés and champagne was the start of a gourmet Italian extravaganza; finished off with our hosts joining us for dessert and liqueur
Scintillating conversation was enjoyed through out including many discussions regarding NZ wines...... Ralph will know what we mean by that.
The grounds of Greenmantle are like a botanical garden with many hidden nooks, along with the resident turtle, doves and ducks.
We loved our stay and would highly recommend Greenmantle as a true touch of class.

Thank-you Ralph and Letizia for a very special weekend.

Kind Regards

Clair and Jono

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Clono
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Our time at Greenmantle Estate was a fantastic experience. The estate is luxurious and the hosts are brilliant. Everything was perfect. Conversation was stimulating and the food perfectly prepared and served. The room was private, peaceful and so restful. All the facilities are the best you can get

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Glyn A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paraparaumu
Wrights by the Sea Motel
#2 of 2 in Waikanae
Top Floor Bed and Breakfast
Top Floor Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 6 in Paraparaumu

Been to Greenmantle Estate? Share your experiences!