Wrights by the Sea Motel
Golfview Motel(Paraparaumu)
Ocean Motel(Paraparaumu)
Greenmantle Estate(Paraparaumu)
View Hotel
All reviewskapiti islandclean unitheat pumpfew minutes walkgreat parkingmodern lookquiet at nightoff street parkingrailway stationfree wifiplace to staylocal eaterieshot watershort walk to the beachcomfy bedclose to shopsthe owner
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We were just staying the night and booked based on previous reviews. It was pricey for our two families. We arrived and there was a notice on door saying back in 5 minutes. That was fine, but it seems a common thing as it was a computer printed laminated label. Although the owner said he had never done that before. We had our email confirmation of the booking. But we werent booked in. Seems they had forgotten to book us in. The rooms were comfortable. We could hear the road noise and we were furtherest from the road. There is no heat pump, but a cheap fan heater on the wall made to look like a heap pump. I know cause we have exactly the same unit at home.
There are a number of ledges jutting out so be careful of heads. Son had to change beds upstairs as lights were coming in and he couldnt sleep.
Its an ok place to stay, but overpriced for our family and more than we would usually pay. We were woken by early risers with suitcases packing up car. And it definitely wasnt quiet.But I have stayed in much worse so its average.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
wozza16, Owner at Wrights by the Sea Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

I'm sorry that you felt it was over priced accommodation , considering that we did email you in advance the full pricing explained for your family. Our pricing is competitive with other motels in the area.
That was truthfully the first time we had left the motel unattended in the 8 months we have owned it , the printed notice I used was the one that the previous owner had there so I used that for the urgent trip out I had to make for family reasons.
In regards to your booking , yes we had miss-laid your email reply saying to book the rooms after I emailed you the prices. we are sorry that happened and glad that those rooms were still available on the day :) Only the Luxury room has a heat pump , there others have a wall mounted fan/heater

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We had stayed at this property some years ago, and I have to say that writing for Trip Advisor changes one's perspective - maybe that I tend to be more critical, but truthful neverthelss.

Having said that, our recent visit was over the Easter holiday, and this review is only of room 12. The room was somewhat dated, but quite spacious and certainly very clean, and with a small balcony through the sliding glass door. Reasonable sleeping arrangements, but I would recommend removing the electric blanket - it is too small for the bed and has hard intrusive plastic terminal covers in all the wrong places.

Minimal self-catering facilities are provided, along with an admonitory notice forbiding the cooking of 'strong smelling foods'. I can see some logic here, but wonder why an exhaust fan is not fitted.

The offical website for this motel states that rooms are soundproofed and double-glazed. We heard no sound from any of the other occupants - mainly due to concrete dividing walls, but the road traffic could quite clearly be heard, and as far as I could ascertain the windows are not double-glazed.

The website further proclaims that heating is by 'heat-pump system'. Sorry. The very noisy contraption fitted to the wall is not a heat-pump. It is a fan dressed up to look like a miniature evaporator unit. In fact I could see no evidence of heat-pumps fitted anywhere on the property.

I would suggest that the owners take another look at their website and correct a few anomolies.

Other than those somewhat annoying discrepancies The motel's main attraction is its close proximity to the very pleasant beachfront and its array of competetive food outlets.

Room Tip: Downstair rooms save a tedious climb with luggage.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
wozza16, Manager at Wrights by the Sea Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Sorry about the mistake on our website regarding heat pumps , only the luxury TUI unit has a full heat pump, the others have a wall mounted heater/fan which we find is quite good especially for heating. I will make the changes to our website - I inherited the data from previous websites.

The walls are not concrete actually, but they are fire and sound proofed between each , if you leave windows open yes you can hear the road sounds but I find that when they are all closed its quiet.

I will also have a look at that electric blanket , as we do pride ourselves in providing a comfortable nights sleep for our guests :)

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed for four nights and were given an excellent rate. The room was bright clean and spacious , real coffee was provided and breakfast could be eaten on the sheltered balcony.

The accommodation is very near the beach and town facilties we would certainly return.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Welcoming pleasant and friendly welcome by Warren.
Room was a bit dated, but very clean, and tidy, and spacious.
Enjoyed our stay. Proximity to cafe's and the village and beach is great.
Represented excellent value for money for when we stayed.
Would stay here again if we come this way again

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank WazzaWarren
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Wrights is a great place to stay. We had two rooms (6 & 14) both were well appointed and very comfortable. There is good parking and it's in a nice location near the beach. Warren is a great host as well.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business