“Bangers, mash 'n peas ... and mustn't forget the onion gravy!”

and 1 more site!
Horse and Jockey Inn
Ranked #5 of 7 Matamata B&B and Inns
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Bangers, mash 'n peas ... and mustn't forget the onion gravy!”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Called into the Horse & Jockey for lunch last Wednesday and ordered the above. Three huge beef sausages arrived on a bed of mash surrounded by peas in loads of super gravy. A must try.
Service was A1!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed March 3, 2014

A nice place to spend a night - a very comfy bed (which is of crucial importance after a 36-hour trip) and great value. A bit moldy shower curtain and some cobweb on the bathroom window won't spoil your stay. Note, that wifi is free, no matter what booking com says, but remote rooms are not covered.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Service slow, tables werent cleared between entree, main and dessert . Food ok. Fish and chips good. Risotto bad. Ran out of duck. Asked for the bill at end of night after 20minutes still no bill, went to see where it was and the waitress was having a fag. Overall we wont be returning ever again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Natasha E

Travelers are raving about these Matamata hotels

Reviewed February 9, 2014

We had the room (with shared bathroom), economy style.
Facilities were VERY minimal and basic. Room is pretty much just the bed. No sound proofing in the room, which means all the noise of the pub below floats upstairs. Drunken cursing into the wee hours was an issue. WiFi use was via code, and did not work in the rooms, only the pub (at the bar) downstairs.
In saying that the Inn was ideally located in the small town. Everything was within walking distance.

Room Tip: Try the rooms with ensuite, they might be a bit better....
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

At such a cheap rate per night, you can't really complain.
The place wasn't exactly clean, but was ok to sleep in. Room was really small, and loud music went on till early hours of the morning.
It wasn't the most professionally run place, but then like I said before at such a cheap rate, what more can you expect?

• Stayed December 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed January 10, 2014

If you are expecting first class forget it , but if you are after a cheap rate.. Fantastic comfy bed.. Hot shower (without soap etc.. We bought our own).. Clean rooms. staff and owner very friendly. Food was amazing,, wine best price I have had and delicious.. Friendly great value.. Rooms small but all you need.. In all great stay thanks..

Room Tip: Close to hobbit country.. Not a resort.. But who needs them recommend for fun night and great food a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I stayed here Saturday night as I had been at the races and it is a convenient option. My room was very clean and tidy, the bed was great. I came back from the races and took a shower, however I slipped getting out and cut my head open, when I came downstairs to ask for another towel as blood was on my other one, the staff here took over, they wouldn't let me do anything, even though the place was busy they took amazing care of me and made me feel nothing was a problem, they patched me up, cleaned my room, ordered me a meal which was fantastic and kept checking on me every 15min or so. I was very impressed with everything, amazing service, food (perfect pint of Guinness) and the atmosphere feels like a real pub. Thanks for looking after me guys, I will recommend you and definitely be back. A+++++

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo