“Great Atmosphere”

The Redoubt Bar and Eatery
Ranked #3 of 33 Restaurants in Matamata
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Locally themed bar and eatery, which is guaranteed to make your day better. Great New Zealand fare, tap beer, live music and good times.
Reviewed December 27, 2013

The Girlfriend and I had a very nice dinner here. Great Pub\Bistro type food that is safe and what you expect. The Chicken and Bacon Tenders were very simple but juicy and moreish. The Pork belly was good but I would of liked a little more sauce with it. The Chicken and apricot pizza (my precious) was nice and cheesy. The place has a few Lord of the Rings poster and the Pizza's are all named after characters..

There are newer reviews for The Redoubt Bar and Eatery

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Had a great dinner here on our stay in Mata Mata. Staff were friendly, food was great, and Free Wifi to catchup on emails from home. There isnt much choice for dinner options in Mata mata, but this was definitely the right choice!

1  Thank GoldyFunken
Reviewed November 17, 2013

For Lord of the Rings Fans, this is a terrific spot to top off a day of touring the Hobbition set. Loved the hobbit-themed decor and menu. It was a bit loud as it was busy but our waitress was very accomodating when we asked to sit outside. We had the pork belly and it was beautifully cooked, staff were chatty and friendly throughout the evening. Would love to go back again if we're ever in the area.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Lots of the cafe's seem to close up about 4-5PM. Lucky for me one that was closing recommended the Redoubt for great food. I was not disappointed. The pizza was fantastic. Someone I was sitting near had a big hamburger, and I got nosey and asked how it was because it looked delicious. They told me it was the best burger they ever ate. My pizza had chutney on it with Chicken and it was unusual and had a delicious crispy crust. I commented to the gal who brought my food that it was really good and she said they make the base sauce themselves. It had a great balance of flavors. I hope you get to stop and eat at the Redoubt next time you are in Matamata!

1  Thank Lisa S
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Only had one dinner here, but what we had was quite good. My wife and I split an order of fish and chips, the spinach and sun dried tomato salad (an interesting but wonderful combination), a bottle of their house merlot, and a wonderful albeit smallish version of a banana split. Would love to go back again and try some of their other items. Great atmosphere, free wifi, and a friendly and attentive wait staff, and you have a winning combination for a great evening.