“Great location, but plan your meals ahead”

Domaine de l'Hostreiere
Reviewed November 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed a single evening in April 2012, apparently early in the season. We were without a car, so for the American Cemetery and Omaha Beach this was really the only option. The room was large and clean but cold. As with most places we stayed in Europe, while the room radiators are under your control, they are often shut off at night by a main timer.

We had lunch at the restaurant before walking to the cemetery. Lunch was good but expensive. Without transportation you're kind of stuck, as there is nothing else within easy walking distance. Either through misunderstanding or a language barrier we missed the closing time for dinner and made due with packaged sandwiches and fruit purchased from the bar.

The place is lovely and very convenient to the cemetery but remember that without a car you've nowhere else to go for meals and you should plan accordingly.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WyldWeezle

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We made reservations here a long time before our trip, based solely on its proximity to the American Cemetery at Omaha Beach. After reading some reviews, I thought I had made a mistake. I was wrong. This hotel is not only very close to many WWII historical places, the staff is excellent. After a long trip from Paris that, due to road construction, accidents and traffic "deviations" (we call them "detours), seemed to take forever, Veronique welcomed us with open arms and an infectious smile. The rooms were clean and quiet; the staff was extremely co-operative and helpful; the food was great. What's not to like? And it was less that a mile from the cemetery. After we got settled, Veronique recommended a restaurant in the area that served the best French onion soup I've ever had. That was L'Omaha Restaurant, for which we've also written a review. I would recommend this hotel with alacrity and without hesitation, and if I ever go back to Normandy, this is where I'll stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank meskomanor
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Visited the American Cemetery, had lunch here (which incidently they don't understand what a vegetarian is) out of desperation. Very overpriced for what it was, chilli con carne (hubby) was most agreeable, mine, bruschetta with cheese and toppings, arrived with meat on it. Had asked for no meat or fish. Language barrier IS a problem, they don't seem to understand anything you ask them. Whilst there, we wanted to do more sightseeing so we asked to see the suite, ordered coffee whilst we looked - ten minutes later we said we would take it, so we knew we had somewhere to sleep that night. Twenty five minutes later, they had taken my card details and I went back to my husband and coffee (no coffee) asked again WHEN the waitress arrived, and eventually after about 45 minutes, got the coffee, and it's cold!

Came back from the museum (wonderful day out) and put bags in the room, it had a musty smell about it, and there were only small towels and medium sized towels for pool use, and indoor use. The bathrobe I wore had a lighter in the pocket which worked, so it hadn't been washed. The TV was all in French, only one BBC2 News channel to watch, which played over and over. When we arrived back at 6.30pm, the restaurant was shut, lucky we'd been to the supermarket and got some snacks, or we'd have been totally scuppered. Also, there was no milk or fridge, in this 'suite'.... For the price we paid, near £200 for the night, I would have thought it would have more on offer. Would I stay or eat here again? Absolutely not. The pool area was lovely, and refreshing after a day in the car, but even that didn't endear itself to us. The sauna in the room was a nice touch, and we used it, but considering the general upkeep of the 'suite', it needs totally rethinking, it's too much crammed in, and tacky in parts, with other common areas being lovely. I would advise anyone needing a 'head down place' it's fine, but I wouldn't go again, i'd find somewhere else.

Room Tip: Check room before paying.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pawsandhooves
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We just returned from a long weekend at this hotel, which we used as a base to explore Omaha Beach and surrounding areas. We were a party of five, three adult siblings, and two ten-year-old children. We booked two sigle rooms and a family room.
The hotel is based in one of those large Norman farmhouses with outbuildings around a courtyard. Accomodation is partly inside a converted outbuilding, and partly in three self-contained cottage-style units set in lushly and expertly maintained grounds. The hotel offers a swimming pool, sauna, billiards, ping-pong etc, but frankly, given the amount of things to see and do in the surrounding region, no guests seemed to hang around for long in the mornings.
We were based in the cottages. These have four rooms each, all seperate, each with its own front door. The top two in each cottage are accessed by exterior timber stairs, which end in a terrace outside the door. Each room has a cafe-style table and chairs outside,
The rooms were large and immaculate, the fittings and fixtures were all in good order. I've stayed in hotel rooms smaller than the bathroom. The beds are high quality. The design of the accommodation gave our stay the feel of a cottage-style vacation rental rather than a conventional hotel stay. It gave us independence and flexibility.
The breakfast is served in the main building, we found it plentiful and satisfying, a buffet-style continental offering of a range of breads, cakes, cold meats, cheese and eggs, plenty of tea and coffee, with the option of stocking up with snacks for lunch. Patrick, the owner, faxed an order for Croissants and baguettes for us to the local baker overnight, and these were waiting for us on our table the next morning.
The deep rural setting is one of the hotel's attractions, but also a potential drawback. The restaurant does not serve dinner, so if you want to eat out, and don't want to drink and drive, the nearest restaurants are a pricey (50 Euro return trip for a party of five) ten-minute taxi ride to Port-en-Bessin. Plusses are that the restaurants and the Port are worth the trip, and the taxi firm will commit to bringing you back to the hotel, just remember to get a business card from the driver. An option for late-arriving guests is to stock up on food and drink in a supermarket along the way to the hotel, and just self-cater when you are settled in the rooms. This we would especially recommend if you have children with you, as you may not be up to just turning around and heading straight back out for dinner, after a long drive to get there. Its also a way of stretching the budget.
We'd strongly recommend that you alert Patrick and Veronique, if you are arriving especially late. Given the location, many guests have long journeys to get there. The Reception might be closed if you arrive late, but Patrick says he'll wait up into the small hours, if he knows you are coming.

Room Tip: The cottages offer the best option, the rooms in the main building are fine, but we loved the flexib...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank shaneDublin_Ireland
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I chose this hotel for the second part of our two week holiday in France. We extended our stay to three nights as it turned out to be an excellent location for exploring all of the Normandy sights from St. Mere Eglise, to the American cemetery, beaches, and Bayeux. We even took a day trip over to Mt. Saint Michel. We enjoyed free drinks at nearby Omaha Beach Cafe courtesy of the hotel owner. Our room was clean and very comfortable. Good value and a prime location!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Second time we a group of frinds stayed here , last time a few years ago , wonderful stay and great dinner . This time no dinner , infact the bar shuts at 8pm !! Like most we were visiting the American War cementary and though the hotel is on the doorstep it is miles from anywhere . This means a trip to either Bayeux or Port en Bessin for dinner . The hotel owner did arrange a taxi for our group into Bayeax and a brassiere for dinner which was great but a 35 euro taxi fare ! Rooms big, bathroom nice but very thin towels . Breakfast was very good , but real shame no dinner , I'd sadly recommend staying in Bayeax if visiting the cemetary , which itself is stunning .

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I took this hotel because of its proximity to the American cemetery. They took a hefty deposit upon making a reservation (for three nights over D-day), and when I went to cancel one night (with two month's notice) the owner made a very big stink. She would not make the change herself, but instead forced me to call Italy for two hours (lucky I have free VOIP) and then finally making the change herself, very grudgingly. Although an attempt was made at being superficially friendly, the owner was resentful about the cancelled night when I checked in, and was even more resentful when I did not take breakfast. The girl who showed me to the room was nice. Hotel was unremarkable - the room was big, but the furnishings were very IKEA. It was freezing during my visit and on the second day someone came to clean (no way to stop them - I didn't want it), my heat was turned off. When I returned to the room it was ice cold. The toilet has no sink. Every time you use it you have to walk across the room and wash hands in the separate shower area. Very inconvenient arrangement at best. I didn't want to drive far this trip, but I wouldn't stay here again, no matter what my destination in the area. There are other hotels that offer more customer-friendly service, more beautiful furnishings and bathrooms, as well as wonderful food at the same or lower prices, just located near Utah Beach or Bayeux.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colleville-sur-Mer
4 mi away
#3 of 21 in Bayeux
Le Grand Hard
Le Grand Hard
#1 of 1 in Sainte-Marie-du-Mont

Been to Domaine de l'Hostreiere? Share your experiences!