“Not to be missed”

$118.94*
and up
Mémorial de Caen Museum Admission and Guided Tour of D-Day Sites from Caen
More attraction details
Owner description: Overlooking Omaha Beach, the launching point of the U.S. invasion of Normandy, this cemetery contains the graves of 9,386 American soldiers who died at Normandy and a touching memorial to another 1,557 whose bodies were never recovered.
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I have read Stephen Ambrose's book D-Day several times. When I visited my daughter in London, I wanted to cross the channel to visit all the D-Day beaches.
We arrived at the cemetery late in the afternoon. I was moved to tears seeing all the crosses in perfect rows. It was moving to watch the lowering of the American flag and playing of taps in the late afternoon.
I really believe that every American citizen should visit this site to see for themselves the sacrifices that our brave young soldiers made for us and other free people so long ago.

1  Thank Mongo1234
Write a ReviewReviews (4,207)
All reviews
in 50 reviews
"greatest generation"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed January 18, 2014

This is a beautiful site, that shouldn't be missed if you travel near Paris. There is a wealth of information to digest. We took an hour guided tour, which was excellent. It felt like a spiritual experience, as we contemplated the sacrifice of so many on June 6, in such terrible conditions. Although my father served in the Pacific, this visit reminded me of his military service and feelings of gratitude to those millions who gave their lives for our freedom came over me.

We visited this at the end of a three-week trip to France which was wonderful. But nothing meant more to me that this visit.

1  Thank DesertBill
Reviewed January 12, 2014

My husband had visited before and this time we went as a family and took our son. It is hard to imagine what those men had to go through who are buried there. While it is sad to look at all those graves, the site is beautifully maintained. We walked down to the beach and it was a long walk down and back up and we had the comfort of a path. If you can I would recommend to visit the area and to appreciate the ones who lost their lives.

3  Thank SMossfromMO
Reviewed January 9, 2014

There are no words to describe it... I have never been so emotional: it is just so sad looking at thousands of graves of our heroes who sacrificed everything to save our future... They were so young, 18 year old boys who never had a chance to love, be happy, see their children grew growing up... and they did for us... The memorial is so inspirational and solemn... When you stand on the sand of Omaha Beach, this very moment will stay in your heart forever.
The museum is just amazing: you can see the collection of weapons, transport, photos, documents, etc., all meticulously arranged and very informative. The introductory documentary is 'must see': you can really feel how sacred this place is after you watch this short presentation and listen to the veterans' stories.

4  Thank Noraatc
See more reviews
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This was my father's war to save our world. The place is inspiring and depressing at the same time. To see privates and generals, jews and gentiles, young and old all buried together in one of the bloodiest parts of this massive battlefield is amazing. The presentation of a few men's stories that you see in the tour area before going to the cemetery really give a fresh side the the massive size of the battle. Everytime I see the pictures I took there I am again reminded that freedom is not free!

3  Thank B F