“Best part of my trip to France”

Normandy American Cemetery & Memorial
Normandy Beaches Half-Day Trip from Bayeux
$72.17*
Half-Day Small-Group Tour to American D-Day Beaches from Bayeux
More attraction details
Owner description: Overlooking Omaha Beach, the launching point of the U.S. invasion of Normandy, this cemetery contains the graves of 9,386 American soldiers who died at Normandy and a touching memorial to another 1,557 whose bodies were never recovered.
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I planned our trip to Europe months in advance and decided to include France for only one reason : to see the beaches of Normandy and The American Cemetery. I debated on driving up ourselves but ultimately decided on a full day tour so I could enjoy the sights and not worry about driving in a foreign country. Out of all the beaches, the Caen Museum, and the small towns we visited - The American Cemetery topped them all. There is nothing more moving then walking the grounds, looking at the names on the crosses, and hearing taps being played behind you. Because we were on a tour, we only had an hour to see everything here - but you could easily spend 2-3 hours looking at everything.

1  Thank auzigirl03

Reviewed October 3, 2011

Everyone should be made to go to Normandy and see this and the other cemerteries, just to see the sacrifice of so many to shape the world we live in today.
The american one has a fascinating museum as well.

Reviewed September 16, 2011

6 months prior to my vacation I attempted to researve a spot in one of the 2 major tour groups in the area. My travel plans dictated a Monday morning 1/2 day tour for what they call the American Tour on most of the tour descriptions. Many tour compnaies only offer full day trips, and the one group with the 1/2 day option wait listed me, then told me they would only be running the afternoon trip and OH so sorry it is filled up. Well, I did so much better keeping my $125.00 U S. for a fine dinner in France and went to work myself in seeing everything you would like to see and should see as an American from that campaign of World War II. Now of course, I have my own rental car, my Garmin and maps with me! This memorial, plusseeing the trail of the rangers off Omaha, the main Omaha Beaches, and Pont du Hoc is a great experience and then you can have a wonderful dining experience out after the 4 hours++ it takes to do everything!

2  Thank VirginiaT123
Reviewed September 15, 2011

The setting, serene, beautiful and peaceful. It will have a profound effect on you, as an American. Realize the thousands who are interred there, gave their lives for freedom. You will be moved. It is on top of a bluff overlooking the beaches of their sacrifice. With our two children 16 and 11, they understood (I hope) what it meant to give one's all. The area involves a good deal of walking, but it is more in sense of contemplative meditation, thinking about all who are there. The grounds are immaculate, the monuments, sublime and eternal. I cried to see a bouquet of flowers placed on a solitary grave; you had to think, why this one? Did their family come and leave this tribute? Please visit this great cemetary and memorial. It will leave you speechless and thinking about it forever.

2  Thank Tenr2th
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Built with a view on Omaha beach, you'll find a small percentage of the many young men that fell in the battle of Normandy resting here. If you walk along the crosses, you'll see names, dates and units, and if your historical knowledge permits it, you'll be able to deduce where they fell - there is no discernable order, but you will see far too many crosses representing men who died within the first few days of the invasion. It is completely normal to feel overwhelmed here. If you look down the rows of parallel crosses, you may even feel like crying, and occasionally, you will see people doing just that. This is a place everyone should come if they ever set foot in Normandy, or in France for that matter.