Les Criquets(Blanquefort)
$135
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $153/night.

$38
$33
$30
$47
$45
Quick Palace(Eysines)
$45
P'tit Dej-HOTEL Bordeaux Lac(Bruges)(Great Value!)
$51
$47
Agoda.com
$53
$44
Otellia(Blanquefort)
All reviewsbeautiful chateauthe rivermedoc wine regionroom servicecommon spacerelaxing weekendlarge balconyshort drivebeyond the call of dutylovely dinnerwonderful staycost eurosswimming pooltaxi ridedinner reservationsgreat bedbordeaux area
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is an event center with 10 hotel rooms – not really a working chateau. If you plan to have a wedding here, then I recommend it as an event center with adjoining guest rooms as those spaces are nice. If you’re booking just one hotel room, then read on…

First, my impression of renting at a chateau is that it would be furnished like a very nice home, maybe a fireplace and bookshelves like you would see in a B&B and even most hotels. This building provides none of that, which is an issue because its so isolated. There is no shared living room, nor is there any other area where one can relax outside the bedroom except the few chairs grouped in the lower level where you’ll find interesting stone walls, but it’s very cold and echo-y and feels more like a waiting room. The main level has an impressive foyer and adjacent breakfast room but these areas are not for hanging out in - just big empty rooms ready for the next large meeting or event. Again, great for a wedding.

Second, the bedroom areas have been built with modern flat trim and flat doors, plain drywall painted off-white, with no regard to architectural or historic aesthetics. Guest area is walled off by a big fire/security door on the second and third floor leading to a dark hallway – this does not exude historic chateau charm. It's awkward because the front staircase is open and quite lovely, and the wood floors are nice, then suddenly it feels like you entered a back corridor - like a maintenance area with a carpet runner!

Third, my room, at a rate of 245 EU or $325 US a night for their mid-level room had a hole punched in a wall, stained bed covering and every step and click of a door handle from the hallway echoed through my room. The shower had black mold in the grout and the hand held shower’s wall mount was broken off. When I filled the tub, a gritty black residue settled on the bottom even after rinsing and trying again 3 times - it made a bath out of the question, but it took forever for the tub to drain each time so I had a lot invested in that activity. Note, not all rooms have balconies!! The photos on the website are well composed, my room did not exude the same character as the photo implies nor did it have a balcony as shown in the photo for my room type.

As this was FAR from my expectations both as a ‘chateau’ and for the value vs. the rate charged, upon seeing the room I returned to reception and indicated that I would be willing to stay for one night but that it did not meet my expectations and I would like to cancel for the second night. I thought that was a pretty fair offer. The desk agent indicated that was not possible, that I had booked 2 nights and would need to pay for 2 nights, and he went on to explain that when the weather is nice there is a terrace outside that people sit at and a dock (which was under construction and not accessible) and he proceeded to tell me I am wrong. The weather was cold and raining, so the terrace was not an option either. The reservation did not indicate that I could not cancel, but interestingly, in the room there is a brochure that says you cannot cancel your stay after you check in – maybe this isn’t the first time someone requested leaving early?

The chateau is definitely beautiful from the outside and the photos are representative of the building and grounds, not necessarily the surrounding area, (note - it is set in a corn field, not the vineyards of Bordeaux). There's nothing nearby so you will need a car. It is not an easy location to find due to the round-abouts, but there are some signs, so I’d recommend finding it with GPS or at least go in daylight the first time. The area is industrial with big oil or grain bins along the river nearby. The desk was unstaffed mid-day and had a note that reception was closed when I tried to check in, so I had to return hours later, however the building was unlocked so anyone could wander in all day. I had my rail passes sent to the hotel with my name and the word guest noted on the address. They had arrived the prior day but nobody had contacted me. When in inquired if they had arrived, the woman working said she saw them and wondered what she was supposed to do with those. She was otherwise very nice and offered ideas on a day trip.

The pros:
The exterior is nice. The grounds are pretty. There is weak but free wifi in the room – I had 2 bars out of 5. Parking is free. The shower is very large but as noted, black mold and broken shower mount. Robes and slippers are provided along with soap and shower gel but no shampoo/conditioner, and there’s a tower warmer but it’s about 10 feet from the tub and shower. Linens are basic but in good condition. The wood floors are old and have nice character. The windows open and the window treatments appear high end. The furniture although sparse appears to be antique and in good condition. Granted, if you stand outside and look at the building, it’s appealing. Other than the things noted, the rooms were clean.

The cons:
The cost is simply not justified for a single hotel room given that this is not really a working chateau but an event center. The bed was hard, not particularly comfortable, pillows are synthetic and the blanket was nubby and aged. I asked to have the bed cover changed out because ours was stained in numerous places, which they took care of with a clean but mis-matched bed cover. Black mold in shower on walls and broken mount for the hand held shower, and black grit in bathtub even after rinsing and refilling were all put-offs. Walls in my room were scuffed and need re-paining. There were no suitcase stands, only 2 small closets which fit a carry-on bag on the floor. A plug-in Black Flag bug killer device with liquid in it was plugged in behind my TV, not sure what that was putting in the air for me to breathe so I unplugged it. The heat did not come on, manager came up to look at it while we were out, yet it stayed the same cool temp so I assume it was not working although he did not provide a solution for us.

My recommendation to the owners: I'd consider adding a few sofas and rugs in the breakfast room to create a lounge, or do something with the lower level so guests have somewhere welcoming to relax outside the bedroom. I’d also work on making the corridors to the rooms a bit more friendly, and add artwork to the blank walls. Add suitcase stands in each room. Repaint walls where needed. Add a nicer coffee bar rather than just a small tray balanced on a small refrigerator. Turn the heat on. Maintain the tubs/showers. Drop the price to be realistic for non-event guests.

My advice to guests - while I cannot undo my overpriced decision to stay here, I can give you an indication of my experience. If this was $175 a night it would be a fair value given the region and many of the gripes would be overlooked because expectations would be set differently. But, at double that rate, I cannot recommend it as a hotel room as it did not have the chateau experience nor the 4+ star quality I was excited about paying extra to enjoy. This was our anniversary trip with just the two of us, and this portion of it was an expensive disappointment.

Room Tip: Look at the exterior to pick a room - third floor does not have balconies where second floor does - the hotel photos only show rooms with balconies. There's little reason to pay for the mid-sized room, just the same furniture in a larger space. Bring your own everything, water is 2EU for a tiny bottle in the mini bar.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kjhMN
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Chateau Grattequina was simply gorgeous. If you close your eyes and think of what a French chateau should be like, this is it! The hotel is very clean, the rooms are beautifully decorated, bathrooms large, especially the shower. The loo is separate from the bathroom. We had a small balcony which was large enough to stand on and the view was spectacular from our bedroom. The Garonne flows just beside the hotel and adds such tranquility to the atmosphere. Bedrooms come equipped with bathrobes, slippers and toiletries and a minibar. Although there's not an extensive room service menu, the food is delicious and the staff are so helpful if there was something you really fancied eating, they would definitely go out of their way to help.

It is essential you hire a car while staying at this property ( the hotel offers free parking on site ). Restaurants are close by, but you'll need to drive there. Similarly, if you want to tour the vineyards, Margaux, Medoc.. There are loads to go to, you'll need a car to get there.

Bordeaux is 15 mins away and you're only 45 mins away from the beach at Arcachon.

If you want to relax at the hotel instead of sight seeing, there is a lovely pool, which never seems to get busy.

Overall, CG is an amazing place to stay if you want to see France (not touristy France) the staff are so so helpful and very soon the hotel will be offering a water taxi to Bordeaux as they are currently installing their pontoon! It's worth going back just for this!

Room Tip: The suite looks amazing but is hard to book. The Garonne rooms are stunning with a large, open plan rainforest shower
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Wev stayed at CG in August. The Chatteau is lovely, very clean, very quite, very friendly. The owner and the staff certainly looked after us. The rooms are great, spacious with fantastic bathrooms and all with views of the river or the sweet corn fields. Only problem we had is that without a car you are a bit out on a limb! Taxi fares were between 35 - 40 Euros wherever you wanted to go which makes it quite expensive when you want to go to the City centre.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stevedotc
Reviewed August 29, 2013

What a wonderful find! The host and staff at the Chateau were friendly and helpful. They went out of their way to get coffee for early risers. The rooms were beautifully decorated and the landscaping gorgeous. The smell of the flowers was heavenly. The pool was large and perfect to begin the day and end the afternoon. The hotel recommended an English speaking guide (upon our request) and we found Beatrice who drove us to appointments at several vineyards, allowing us to enjoy the wine tastings and the scenery. Dinner on the balcony at night was bread, cheese and wine, Bordeaux was 15 minutes away, St, Emilion and the Medoc were 40 minutes away.

Room Tip: We chose a Junior Suite with a balcony overlooking the river.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We had a delightful stay at Chateau Grattequina. Staff was very friendly and helpful. (And spoke wonderful English!). Rooms were very roomy with great views. Room service has a very limited menu but the food was good. Limited staff so there were times when there was no one at the front desk but as long as your patient it's not a problem because the facilties and staff make up for it in other ways. Would definitely stay here again. Loved it!

Room Tip: The Junior suite has a great covered balcony overlooking the river. There was a rain storm (with lots of lightning an thunder) when we were there - it was wonderful sitting on the balcony watching it.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple