“Nice but not perfect”

Residence Odalys Les Sources de Manon
Bronshoej, Denmark
“Nice but not perfect”
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We are a family of four (two children age 5 and 1) and stayed at Odalys Les Sources de Manon for two weeks in July.

The apartment was fairly clean when we checked in although one of the pots in the kitchen was dirty and there was very dirty under the beds. The apartment was very practical with two rooms upstairs and a combined living room/ kitchen downstairs. There is a dishwasher in the kitchen which was very nice. The small garden to the apartment is very good and private as it is closed by a hedge. However, there is a great difference in the location of the apartments – we had a perfect spot overlooking the small pool and with evening sun but some of the apartments was overlooking the parking lot with very little privacy.

The complex itself is very good as it is a fenced area where the children can run freely. And although the place seemed fully booked when we were there, we did not experience any major crowds at the two quite small pools.

The staff was polite but very unhelpful and we only met one member of the staff who could speak English at a conversation level. The WIFI is of very poor quality – in the two weeks we stayed there the WIFI worked for a total of 5 days and even when it worked the quality was very poor. One nuisance of the place is that everything comes at an extra charge – if you want television you pay, WIFI you pay, laundry you pay (quite a lot - 6 euro and another 4 for drying), towels you pay … and since the place isn’t exactly cheap to begin with, it’s a source of irritation.

The location of the Les Sources de Manon is good with Vallon Pont D’arc in easy walking distance but still secluded from the town. The town of Vallon Pont D’arc is a mixed experience – it caters 100% to tourists and they come in droves every day! It is a small town but there are people everywhere and most of the shops in town are selling tourist-stuff. That does not mean that the town is without charm – it isn’t. There are nice cafes, decent bakeries and a supermarket. But don’t expect to be alone!

Finally, be aware that it takes time to go anywhere from Vallon Pont D’arc – the beautiful mountainous landscape surrounding the town adds half an hour to all journeys before you reach the major roads thus making trips to nearby cities such as Orange, Nimes and Avignon take around one and a half hours.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank nlassen

Solo
Business
germany
Reviewed September 23, 2007

We stayed in this facility from Sept 1st, 2007 thru Sept 8thBelow I listed some small grievences I had with the place, but first and foremost, the staff was absolutely horrible and rude. I have since contact Odalys, its been 2 weeks, and from what I understand, their complaint department must be so full, that it will take a long time to get to my complaint ! (keep this in mind)

My husband and I were involved in a major river accident on the day before we were to check out. Which required rescue from the fire department and hospital transport. I am going to copy and add part of my letter I sent to Odalys. Read for yourself the H*** the staff of Odalys put us thru at check out !!!
(by the way, there is this check out list you must fill out on arrival, and then turn back in the next day, or you will be charged for anything extra).

My husband went to the office and attempted to check out. The man in the office said, no that we did not have an appointment. My husband explained we had an emergency and needed to leave as soon as possible. The man said , you had all day friday to make the appointment. My husband explained we were in the hospital. So the man and a woman came in to the apartment.

I was laying on the couch at the entrance with my left leg braced on pillows. The man said to me, that I needed to leave the room, before he could inspect it. I said, I can not move. He then insisted again that I needed to leave. I explained to him that I was in pain, and that I can not walk under any circumstances. He then proceeded with his inspection.
He had some radio control hand held apparatus and then told me the bathroom was not clean enough. I said where ? he began to get aggressive and said, 'you told me the toilet brush was dirty, not the toilet' !!

My husband questioned him also about what dirt he found in the bathroom. The man began to get confrontational with my husband and I asked him to stop. I said 'stop! just stop it !!' he repeated, you said only the toilet brush was dirty!!. He brought me to tears and I began crying and saying ' I am in Pain!! I Hurt!!! get out!! get out !! get out!! I began crying and shaking still from the shock of the accident and near drowning, and I told him to please leave, and stop arguing with me and my husband. He continued to be rude until I was crying uncontrollably.

I could not tolerate his behavior under the circumstances and trauma that we had just been thru. He then went outside on the patio and my husband was there and the man threw the keys on the table and to the ground, and apparently he radioed for someone else to come in. Another man came and walked in and said very rude to me, Your Accident is not my problem!!, you need to clean this apartment !!! and Fine ! if you want to pay for a cleaning then Fine ! ill get it cleaned for you !

The Only!!! dirt they could find, was one spot in the refrigerator where maybe some cheese or milk had been sitting, and 4 cups and 4 plates that had been finished in the dishwasher needed to be put back in the cabinet. They were clean.

It took one wipe of a cloth and a few seconds to put up the dishes...my husband did this hobbeling on his broken foot ! everything else was in perfect order.

He told my husband to clean those things and he would be back. He never came back, so the neighboring vacationers came and carried me to the car and helped my husband get our final things together. I was still crying in hysterics at this time. I have never in my life been so humiliated.

My husband walked to the office and came back with the deposit of 250. euros.

I guess we have just been lucky over the last years with the many vacation homes we have stayed in. Not one single vacation home required us to take an inventory before we entered the apartment nor did they do an exit examination. That usually seems to be the job of the owners or owning company. Not the job of the vacationer...I'm there as a guest, not to spend my time counting.
If the accident wasn't bad enough, the unbelieveable rudeness and actions of the Odalys employees totally ruined our vacation.

The room had no oven at all. So any food we brought that needed preparation in the oven was wasted. This was not mentioned in the information packet and an oven has always been a normal appliance in most homes that I have stayed in.

The microwave was on a shelf above the sink at about 185 cm or maybe higher. This was extremely dangerous, as I could not cook hot food or see what was cooking. The microwave posses a great danger to anyone lifting hot items out of the microwave. It is too high for a normal person. I feel this was very unsafe.

The bathtub is extremely dangerous. You must step up very high to get over it, and there a slope right where you need to put your foot. Getting out is difficult because its a huge step down. The is no hand rail or towel rack in the bathtub for assistance.

There is no close parking to the room. Therefore you must carry all your items a long distance and there is no cart or trolley to help transport your items for your stay. Most places I have stayed at provided a cart or trolley, and or access to let you load and unload your things easily into your room.

High prices for the washer and dryer. 6 euros for a small wash, and 4 euros for the dryer.

No TV unless a 40 euro charge is paid for the week. Normally every place I have visited, the TV was included.

The refrigerator was small and the freezer was bad.

There were only 2 plastic cooking spoons for cooking. A couple of salad spoons, but no other cooking tools. This was also not on the 'things to bring' list.

There is no sink in bathroom downstairs, only a toilet. Hygenically, it would be nice to have a sink.

We were asked to fold our dirty sheets and return them upon leaving, but to fold the blankets and store them back in the closet ..... Does this mean these are never cleaned? Did I sleep on dirty blankets? Were the bedcovers cleaned afterwards? Does this mean the next person gets the dirty blankets that I laid on also?

The coffee pot malfunctioned and popped and exploded one morning and blew out the electricity. I reported this to the man and took the coffee pot to him. He gave me a dirty coffee pot from the back office. I asked him about the breaker box, he said I could just flip the electricty back on. Shouldn't this have been checked??

I hope this warns future travellers there. If you even think about it, Dont...

• Liked — running water
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank ddgkkg2003

Travelers are raving about these Vallon-Pont-d'Arc hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vallon-Pont-d'Arc
Le Manoir du Raveyron
Hotel La Bastide d'Iris
Hotel La Garenne
Hotel La Garenne
#1 of 1 in Labeaume

Been to Residence Odalys Les Sources de Manon? Share your experiences!