“We Fell In Love With Samoa”
Review of Le Vasa Resort

Le Vasa Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cape Fatuosofia
Reviewed March 21, 2009

Wow, what a spectacular place to see and enjoy the serene environment and experience Le Vasa Resort offers their clients. I had the best time with my partner. We were looking for a place to go that was afordable and yet offered everything a 5 star resort does. Susan greeted us at the airport and she was full of life and so happy to make our experience a pleasurable one. The resort is all oceanfront and the gardens were gorgeous, we had so many different places to hang out. Le Vasa was not crowded and the service was excellent. The oceanfront fales were really oceanfront, we have stayed at many resorts before when they advertise that they are oceanfront and that wasn't he case at all. Le Vasa's fales were tidy, warm, inviting, comfortable, artisitic and you could see the ocean from every room. Koreti greeted us with a smile every morning, she is like the mother of the resort offering whatever assistance she could to make your stay more enjoyable. Miriama was an excellent server and knew just what we wanted to drink or eat she gave us a lot of options. The people of Samoa are so gracious and wanted us to experience the best of everything they could offer.

My partner and I looked at Fiji, Tonga and Samoa, we thougth it was best to go to Samoa and we are soooo glad we did. We swam in the pool, laid out at the beach, enjoyed fabulous meals everyday, Tevita and Wright are some of the best chefs, you must try their food, Tevita made the best Filet Mignon I have ever had! Wright's seasfood pasta was to die for, we licked our plates clean. I think the two chefs must have been having an insided contest because each one wanted to be sure their meals were the best.

Toa took us out for an island tour around most of Upolo, you really need more than one day to really see the island I would say either go on two full day tours or rent a car for a couple of days. We were so lucky the weather was just beautiful the whole time we were there. December thru March is Samoa's wet season but we never saw the rain so I guess we were the lucky ones plus we didn't have heeps of people it was nice to be in Samoa when it wasn't crowded. Samoa is so unspolied I hope Samoa stays the way it is for a long time and it seems like the people really want to keep it that way.

It just so happens that Wright is also the captain offering boating activities and he took us out on a lovely boat trip, we went snorkeling, and cruised around the island of Manono which is a must and then back to the resort just in time for one of the best Sunset's we have ever seen.

My partner and I were so glad that they did not have TV's in the rooms and we actually had the chance to rekindled our relationship, we needed a break so bad from the hustle of the Auckland lifestyle that it was such a wonderful trip we want to go back again maybe later this year or next year. We would reccommend Samoa and Le Vasa Resort to anyone.

When we cruised around the island we stopped at Sinale and Coconuts and neither of those resorts had staff that smiled at us and the ambience was just not what we thought it would be. The resorts were nice but just overpriced and not inviting, so we were glad that we made the right choice about Le Vasa.

We took a 5 minute taxi ride to Aggie's Beach resort and had diner there, the drinks were so expensive it was more than you would pay at home and the food was just awful, we couldn't eat our meals. The thing I liked about Aggie's was the Swimming pool with the swim up bar other than that it was noisy with kids running around everywhere and the restaurants were overpriced.

Apia Downtown is okay, a busy little town, it was nice to see the fruit and flea market that's definitely a must, but I rather spent time chilling at the resort. I suppose the best night I had at the resort was their Fia Fia night when we got to see the fire dancer and the staff do a fantastic performance of their cultural dance. Don't miss out on the Fia Fia night.

Lastly, make sure that you take the time to sit out by the beach and have a drink and watch the spectacular sunsets.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank firekan

Reviewed January 14, 2009

We stayed here for three days at the end of a week in Samoa. While this was more expensive the the other places we stayed it was well worth the difference in price. The fales are beautifully decorated, the staff lovely and the food pretty good too (though a little pricey). One of the few disadvantages is that the beach isn't great though there's a nice pool. We didn't do any of the activities they offered beyond biking and kayaking (free) but no-one hassled us to do anything extra, we just enjoyed relaxing! There are beautiful villages and scenery in both directions from the resort heading out on a bike is well worth it!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
LeVasaResort, Public Relations Manager at Le Vasa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2016

Thank you for saying it was definitely Worth it to stay here and you would DEFINETLY RECOMMEND Le Vasa Resort! Thank you for saying we have friendly staff and good food. Faa'fetai Lava

Reviewed December 29, 2008

My husband and I have travelled extensively and stayed at all classes of hotels around the world. I always use trip advisor to guide our hotel choices and this was the only time ever that we strongly regretted this choice.

We stayed at Le Vasa for 9 nights in Oct 2008 as a part of our honeymoon trip around the south Pacific. Right from the beginning when I called the resort directly to obtain information to make a booking, I had a bad experience. I was trying to find out the difference between what they offered as a part of their honeymoon package which was more expensive as compared to if we just booked 9 nights stay at the hotel. The owner, Soraya, was curt and unhelpful on the phone and got quickly irritated when I tried to find out exactly what benefits the honeymoon package contained. Against my intuition, I went ahead and booked the honeymoon pkg.

The positives we experienced at the resort were:
1. Quick & efficient transfers to & from the airport which were provided to us for free (we were told as part of the honeymoon pkg).
2. The fales (beach villas) themselves are spacious, quite newly constructed and were cleaned daily.

The negatives we experienced were as follows:
1. The food at the restaurant is poorly made, greasy and very limited in choice. My husband is vegetarian and some days there were no vegetarian options on the menu at all. So he requested for a veg stir-fry or a salad. For the same stir-fry dish, we were charged different prices on 2 different days.

2. The service at the restaurant was quite unprofessional. For example, at lunch one afternoon, after a long, long wait, I was brought an expensive main course dish when I had just ordered a salad.

3. The honeymoon pkg was a complete rip-off. We were told we would receive a complimentary dinner for 2 as part of the pkg. The dinner consisted of what tasted like canned hommus and bread for the starter and spaghetti with tomato sauce for the main course and there was no desert at all. It was so cheap it STUNG.

4. Like an earlier reviewer stated, the management CONTINUOUSLY tried to foist their paid services on to us. However, whenever we tried to make use of some free service, it was a nightmare to obtain. We asked for an iron & ironing board to be delivered to our room on 3 consecutive days. It never arrived and finally we just stopped asking.

5. We felt like the management of the resort was desperate to make or save money by any means possible. We were supposed to receive a complimentary tropical breakfast as part of the honeymoon pkg. Even though the breakfast was supposed to be a set menu, varied hugely from day to day and some days we left quite hungry. Towards the end of our stay we realised that this set tropical breakfast menu included a fresh juice which were were never told about or served. However, it was served to the other customers who paid for their tropical breakfast every morning. Also we were served cereal for breakfast every morning but no milk to go with it (even though this was part of the tropical breakfast). Every morning we received only a tiny pot of milk for our coffee and had to ask for a re-fill to have the cereal.

6. The pool was filthy and full of dead flies. We also saw the resident dog swimming in it one morning.

7. There is no beach at this resort. You cannot actually swim in the beach here. The resort is just situated along a coast.

8. We had money stolen on 2 separate days from our room (from a wallet that was kept inside the depths of a back-pack). We should have been more careful and kept the money in a locked suitcase but we still want to warn others about this. We kept meticulous accounts everyday and this is how the 2nd time the money was taken (100 talas each time), we reported it immediately to the staff. 100 talas was "recovered" by the staff and returned to us but it was a befitting end to a terrible stay.

9. The owner of the hotel, Soraya, never once spoke to us during our entire stay at the resort (and were there for 9 nights). This would be fine if it was a larger resort or some other place in the world but we visited many other resorts in Upolu and at every other place, even though we were not staying at the resort, the owners greeted us, spoke to us and made us feel welcome. That’s just the kind of place Samoa is. However, Le Vasa was a completely different story. There must have been only 3-4 other families/couples there at the same time as us and it felt very rude and impersonal that the owner just kept avoiding us even when we were at the bar or restaurant at the same time. Even when our money was stolen, she did not once meet us to resolve the situation or apologise. If there is one over-arching problem with Le Vasa it stems from poor management and a lack of professionalism at all levels.

Samoa is a beautiful country with warm, hospitable people and there are many other resorts / fales to choose from at all different price points. We visited a large number of others and here are our top recommendations:
1. Top-end: Sinalei Reef Resort or Aggie Grey’s Lagoon Beach Resort.
2. Mid-level: Sea-Breeze Resort
3. Beach Fale: Any of the fales on Lalomanu Beach on the south east of Upolo island.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Chloe69
LeVasaResort, Guest Relations Manager at Le Vasa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2016

Thank you for saying we have Quick & efficient transfers to & from the airport which were provided to us for free. The fales (beach villas) themselves are spacious, quite newly constructed and were cleaned daily.
Many guests feel the opposite they think the staff are extremely welcoming and caring that our food is delicious and well made that the pool is just great!
It is important for people to read many reviews to determine what we are offering here at Le Vasa Resort and ultimately experience for themselves as everyone knows you will never make 100% of the guests happy and human error can happen as well as circumstances. Thank you from Le Vasa Resort we genuinely always do our best to improve and offer a lovely stay.

Reviewed November 15, 2008

I had a wonderful time at LA VASA RESORT, it was so peacefull and tranquil. The Staff were always caring and helpful My first visit was in May/08 for one week and I enjoyed it so much I went back in Aug/08 for another two and a half weeks. I felt like I got to be a friend with the people their, I also meet some other guest their, they were interesting people. There are many activities that people can do. The Staff will inform you of options and provide you with ways to get their. I felt hanging out at the bar, was a good way to relax. Im very sporty so was also able to be active. Kayaking,Snorkling and going on the Boat to Bat Island was a lot of fun. The Resturant had the best meals I had in Samoa, and I did have a look around. I had been to many other Resorts as well and stayed a few nights on the other Island, but I felt LA VASA was the best. The weekend show is just great Everyone was doing traditional Samoan dancing. THANK-YOU SORAYA and EVERYONE else for the great time.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank antsWanganui

Thank you for your review that you thought the staff were caring and helpful. Thank you for saying we had the best meal in Samoa and it's great you had the chance to experience a cultural show. Thank you again for your wonderful comments and choosing Le Vasa Resort for your holiday accommodation!

Reviewed November 2, 2008

In March this year my boyfriend and I stayed at Le Vasa Resort. The pictures on the website don’t convey just how nice it is there.

The resort is beautiful, set on a large area with the sea views from every angle.

We stayed in a Delux oceanfront fale. It had a lounge room area, bedroom and separate bathroom. It was well appointed, very comfortable, and we could almost touch the sea from our balcony.

The resort offers lots of water based (and other) activities and the surrounding ocean is perfect for all of them. We enjoyed fabulous days swimming, snorkelling and waterskiing in some of the warmest water we’ve ever come across.

The food was fantastic (essentially western prices, but less than what you would pay in other resorts in, eg, Fiji). The ingredients were fresh (with fish often caught by the chef in the morning), meals were prepared quickly and presented beautifully. Often, there was entertainment of an evening while we ate.

The staff were very helpful – nothing was too much trouble (including organising day trips and meeting us at the airport at 2am!).

We highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a relaxing and easy holiday!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TAdvisorSydney

Thank you for highly recommending Le Vasa Resort, for your lovely comments about our friendly staff that they were helpful and nothing was too much trouble:) It's great that you enjoyed our water sports and the thought our food was fantastic and beautifully presented! Thank you again for choosing Le Vasa Resort for you r stay in Samoa!

Reviewed October 16, 2008

I have to admit after reading reviews on TripAdvisor prior to booking, I had high expectations of LeVasa Resort. And with the price towards the high end of accommodation rates in Samoa, one would be forgiven to expect a 4-5 star standard of service. Unfortunately if you want value for money, it is not something you will receive from LeVasa.

Do not think my review is entirely negative. LeVasa is indeed a special resort, quaint and intimate. Stepping into the grounds of LeVasa, it is easy to be besotted with such a pretty place. The fales are well looked after and the room was clean and tidy during our entire stay. All fales overlook the ocean- waking early to the calm blue sea was a pleasure every morning. The resort itself was perfect.

But first impressions don't always last. In our case, our warm feelings were tested as soon as we began our interaction with the staff, and were slowly lost during our stay. We only stayed 4 nights but ended up avoiding the resort entirely in the end, returning only to sleep!

We found the staff and management to be helpful only when there was money to be made. Our car hire enquiry was met with a happy smile, but when we asked about the bus route to town, we were palmed off to speak to security at the front gate (who mind you, could not speak English clearly enough to explain the bus route to us). A telephone was made readily available to make an international phone call (we were charged 30 Tala for a 30 second phone call) but when we asked for another snorkel set as the goggles and breathing tube were cracked, our honesty was questioned in front of us. To rub salt in the wounds, the director of the resort then offered to superglue the snorkels for us! (And no this is not an exaggeration!). It took a day and a half to get an iron and ironing board in our room (We had to ask three times). Staff watched us walk in the rain from the bus as they stood undercover with an umbrella. Management told us off for using room towels at the pool when the night before there were no pool towels available. We were told we had to check-out early after we had already paid for an extra night just so that we could check-out late (this was corrected later but was upsetting nonetheless). THEN we were driven by a drunk staff member (there was a wedding at the resort that night, the staff member smelt of alcohol and was even hiccupping!) to the airport 3.5 hours early and came so close to hitting a pig on the way that our suitcases fell when he slammed on the brakes!

My partner and I have traveled extensively for years and have never been treated so inconsiderately. Every day we came across a situation where we were neglected or ignored by staff or management. Yes, the issues probably seemed small and irrelevant to the staff. Yes, if we were staying in someone’s home we would not dare complain about such issues. But we were paying guests (no we didn’t attempt to run out on the bill) and this was not someone’s home. We did not deserve such mistreatment. LeVasa is supposedly an international standard resort managed by international staff. In reality, LeVasa is an international standard resort managed by a circus of staff who have no knowledge about what hospitality truly means.

Post-script: If you are wanting to experience real Samoan hospitality, try the beach fales scattered around the islands. And don't miss a gorgeous sandy beach and coral reef called Lalomanu. There are fales and a restaurant there, pretty basic accommodation but a true Samoan experience.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ja-Te-Volim

Thank you for saying Le Vasa resort is indeed a special resort, quaint and intimate. Stepping into the grounds of Le Vasa, it is easy to be besotted with such a pretty place. The fales are well looked after and the room was clean and tidy during our entire stay. All fales overlook the ocean- waking early to the calm blue sea was a pleasure every morning. The resort itself was perfect.
Although This review contains a number of mistruths, exaggerations and misunderstandings. 99% of the guests feel the opposite they think the staff are extremely helpful, loving, welcoming and caring.

Reviewed August 31, 2008

We have just returned from a very memorable stay at La Vasa and couldn't wait to get on Trip Advisor to share! It is without doubt the holiday we will remember above all. From the minute we were welcomed at the airport, we felt cared for and special. We experienced a couple of hiccups (not with the resort!) while there and Soraya and Kirsten calmly had it all sorted for us quickly and efficiently. The generosity of heart and spirit here is obvious in each and every one of the staff members. We felt as if we really did matter and everyone went out of their way to make us feel part of them. The fales are immaculately clean and presented beautifully. We stayed in the Sunset fale and the sunsets were truly amazing - as was the lapping of the water to wake up to and the sounds of the geckos to go to sleep with. We had our son with us with special needs and he was made to feel - in his words - like the Prince of Samoa! Everyone was so accepting and so lovong - thank you doesn't seem enough. I really searched for something I could consider 'constructive criticsm' and can only say that the rails on the deck should be lower so as not to impede on such a wonderful view - how sad am I!!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you for saying you had a very special holiday at Le Vasa Resort in Samoa! You thought the sunsets were truly amazing, that we made you feel like part of the family, that you room was clean and beautiful. Lots of love from Le Vasa Resort in Samoa hope to see you again one day!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Fatuosofia
Saletoga Sands Resorts
#1 of 1 in Matatufu
Return to Paradise Resort & Spa
Sa'Moana Beach Bungalows

Been to Le Vasa Resort? Share your experiences!