“"Nice chalets with a new helpful owner"”
Review of Aki Chalet

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Taman Negara National Park
Aki Chalet
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We made a booking through Mr. Nasiron Sallehudin of Mahseer Chalet and it was a definitely a wise choice as it was very busy during the weekend as there were many locals visiting the National Park.
The Chalets at Mahseer are basic, clean and spacious; all newly painted under this new management (this place was previously known as Aki Chalets) with New Mattresses, pillows and comforters/blankets.
The chalet that we had was priced RM 100 (chalet No 4) which came with Air conditioning, Hot Showers (not that you really need one; as it is so hot here!) and tea & coffee making facilities in the room.
Their restaurant is still not open but they are very helpful and will recommend you where to get the cheap and good food.
I would definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: The newly renovated Chalets are much quieter than the long house.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Gerard R

Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed at Mahseer Chalet for two nights and compared to the other accomodations in Kuala Tahan this (formerly known as Aki Chalet) is by far one of the best. The price was actually cheap: We paid 50 Ringgit per night, for that we get a room with A/C (fun fact: the owner has just one remote control for the rooms, so you have to bring it back to common area – but that will change in future) and a bathroom attached: don’t expect anything fancy, it has basic amenities., a shower and a toilet – and a proper door. The beds are surprisingly clean (no bedbugs or insects or any suspscious smell) and towel/blankets are provided. But don’t expect to find a TV – always remember you are inside a jungle.

The owner just took over the Chalet in August, but the very friendly Mister Sallehudin (the owner) is working hard to renovate the whole site: the rooms and the garden. At the same time he is doing a good job in maintaining the old rooms. The garden is really nice and for some moment you might forget that you are in the middle of the jungle. He lives with his family (wife + daughter) in one of the chalets and they are very helpful and open. The wife helped us to keep our important belonging when we went on a water trip. The other day we needed hot water to cook noodles and Mr. Sallehudin brought us a bottle of water and a waterboiler, he even cleaned it for us. He even offered to clean our laundry. One day we saw him placing many mattresses outside in the sun: he told us that he cleaned them with chemicals to avoid bugs.

He told us, when we were leaving, that in future he wants to build a little restaurant in the garden, so he could offer Bed&Breakfast one day. Maybe we will come back then and see, what this guy makes of his own wonderland.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank parsprototo
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed here as the other place we wanted to go was apperently full.

We had a look at the chalet No. 2 and took it for the night. The host showed us around, excused himself that there is no breakfast but recommened a place to go and lowered the price because of that.

He also told us that he just took over the place two weeks ago and is doing some restorations.

The chalets got new windows, beds, matrasses, linens and the bathrooms were freshly painted.

We were happy with our desicion as everything worked just fine.

The host also borrowed us his mobile phone to call a place in KL to check availability and did not want anything for using his mobile.

It is still a bit basic but with time I am sure it will get some nice extras. He is working on wifi at the moment and already got the plans and funds to build a restaurant during next off season.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Berickus
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights. The nights before and after our jungle trekking. The room is very basic except the A/C of course. At first, I thought I didn't like it but I reminded myself we're in a rain forest so it's already fine. Spacious, yes. Clean, yes. The only thing I didn't like is the bathroom. The water pipe got disconnected twice so I was splashed with water almost got soaked. This was in Room 8 by the way. Otherwise, it's all good. It's just a short hike to NKS' floating restaurant. Staff is very nice and friendly. We loved our stay here. Despite the bathroom issue, I still think I should recommend this place. Not bad if you're in a budget rather than staying in dorm rooms.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank lizl0ves2travel
Reviewed June 20, 2012

As others have written, the owner is not friendly. However, the two people who live on the property and run the kitchen are very nice, friendly, helpful, energetic, and thoughtful. They made the stay worthwhile. The door connecting to the bathroom was more of a plastic sheet, which was annoying because it let some cool air out and odd air in, but other than that the room was good.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank tjnielsen
Reviewed May 17, 2012

The downside: Aki Chalet is run by an unfriendly owner, accommodation is very basic and cleanliness is much to be desired- especially toilet hygiene.

Undeniable Awesome: Kak Tina & Abang Safian team who runs the Kitchen are the other treasures of Taman Negara (besides the rainforest, of course).

P.S. The Old Man has a really addictive laughter.

Advice: Stay somewhere else but come around for chats over meals with Kak Tina & Abang Safian

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Cheah_Cheong_Wai
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I stayed at aki chalet for 3 days 2 nights from 10-12th march 2012. I joined school camping. The chalet was quite okay for me. privacy and peaceful. I brought my electric jug for my hot drinks at night. the food was fantastic, thanks aki chalet. Your hospitality to ensure all students involved who stayed at the camping site safe and sound are appreciated. My mum said the place was better than the last time she's there. for those who wish to spend peaceful holiday, come to taman negara. Just remember it is a forest and please be with your tourist guide all the time. I also admired the families who came with small children. If you find a leech or get stung by a bee, congrats!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank JNK7426

Been to Aki Chalet? Share your experiences!