“at taman negara”
Review of Aki Chalet

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Taman Negara National Park
Aki Chalet
Taman Negara National Park, Malaysia
“at taman negara”
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I stayed at aki chalet for 3 days 2 nights from 10-12th march 2012. I joined school camping. The chalet was quite okay for me. privacy and peaceful. I brought my electric jug for my hot drinks at night. the food was fantastic, thanks aki chalet. Your hospitality to ensure all students involved who stayed at the camping site safe and sound are appreciated. My mum said the place was better than the last time she's there. for those who wish to spend peaceful holiday, come to taman negara. Just remember it is a forest and please be with your tourist guide all the time. I also admired the families who came with small children. If you find a leech or get stung by a bee, congrats!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank JNK7426

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 29, 2012

We did not stay in Aki chalet, because we were traveling with small children and Aki chalet does not provide famlily rooms (we stayed in nearby Yellow House, one of the places with wifi). However, we spent a lot of time in Aki chalet with the people that serve the breakfast and dinner: Kartina & Suffian. These people are nice, smart, know what tourists want (and if not, they ask). They give clear and honest information. This people can be trusted. And their food is fabulous: ask for the ginger chicken, but they also cater nice food for vegatarians. Suffian also organizes a 2-day trip to a nearby village Camping Pagi, which we took, and that was very good value also.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank MichelNL
Italy-China
Reviewed April 1, 2011

Stayed in Aki 2 nights , the night before my trekking in the jungle and the night after. II stayed in the dorm. NO frills, not even super clean, Mr Aki is not very talkative, but at the end of the day he was nice enough to keep my backpack and my values while I was 3 days trekking in the jungle. For what You pay and for how long you stay in the room I think it is very ok for a backpacker (If u are on a budget).

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Tittachina
London
Reviewed November 21, 2010

I stayed at the Aki Chalet for three nights as part of a package provided by NKS. The price for each type of Chalet was as follows:

Chalet with AC - 90 RM
Room with AC – 60 RM
Hostel – 13 RM per person

I am not sure the exact difference between the Chalet and Room but I assume that the Rooms' share a bathroom.

Upon arriving we were given Chalet 3. I have attached photo's, however I will describe too: Each Chalet is a wooden raised structure with an attached bathroom at ground level. The Chalet floor is bare wooden boards – you can see through to the ground. The walls are lined with wicker and the windows are plastic slats that turn. Within the room were two single beds, a wardrobe and small set of drawers. The beds had stained bedsheets that appeared to have not been recently washed, a foam pillow and a large beach towel was provided as a blanket.

The bathroom was partially tilled, full of cracks and I doubt had been cleaned recently. We arrived late on the first day and so pretty much went straight to bed. Prior to going to bed I noticed a cockroach wonder across the mattress, I brushed it off – it disappeared through the floor – and hoped it was a one off.

We realised the next day that the one plug socket in the room didn't work and the shower did not produce hot water. Therefore we asked to move and they suggested Chalet 4. Upon moving into 4, we discovered that the hot water did not work there either and they had lost the key, so we then moved into Chalet 1.

Chalet 1 had power and hot water, so at least we could now charge our cameras etc. I had to swap the cracked shower head with the one in 4, but by this time I was happy just to have hot water. Later that evening, we found we were not alone in our Chalet. Our first visitor was a giant cockroach in the bathroom. He/She appeared quite happy to stay there, so we closed the door and hoped it would leave. The next morning it had gone home, but it's younger brother / sister (I am guessing younger as it was smaller) appeared the following night along with a spider and a leech. Additional to this, I found a younger cousin of the cockroach wondering over my bed on the last night.

Additional to losing sleep wondering if insects were going to crawl all over us, the beds were very uncomfortable. The sheets felt as if there was grit on them and the blanket was irritable to the skin. We both ended up sleeping fully clothed as we both were bitten on the first night. After this trip we stayed in a village where we slept on the floor with foam mattress and mosquito net; I slept better there!

As well as insects, the Chalet is based in an area with free roaming hens and cocks. Therefore every morning at around 5 AM, the cock would call and continue to call for most of the day. As the Chalets are raised the chickens run under your room, so you can imagine with gaps in the floor boards how much noise enters the room. The Chalets are additionally close to town residents who wake up early and wake you up as the building is so badly insulated.

The air conditioning did work, but as the building is so badly insulated it takes a long time to make any difference. In all three rooms it was noisy which made it extra difficult to sleep.

We did consider paying more to move to a different lodging, however upon scouting the local village I was not convinced I would be able to find something significantly better and without the internet it was difficult to research.

In conclusion, I would avoid staying any of the Aki buildings. We met a lady who was staying in the Hostel and she reported similar conditions. You would be better off sleeping in a tent; at least you can lock out the bugs and know what to expect.

If you want to go to the Taim Negara, I would recommend you book accommodation and activities independently. This will give you more choice in your schedule and food and ensure you have no nasty surprises. Once you arrive at the village, you can simply go to the NKS floating boat and book your preferable activities.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Coral View Island Resort
Coral View Island Resort
#3 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
The Barat Perhentian Beach Resor...
#5 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar
Nusa Holiday Villa
Nusa Holiday Villa
#6 of 7 in Kuala Tahan

Been to Aki Chalet? Share your experiences!