“Wonderful cooking class!”

Island Organics Thai Cooking Class
Ranked #2 of 8 Food & Drink in Chaweng
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Now in our 4th year and we have never been so busy! Samui's most authentic Thai cookery class and organic micro farm has laid the foundations for resorts, hotels and other Thai cookery classes to create a more sustainable Samui. Explore the large organic micro farm as well as learn about aquaponics in detail followed by personal cooking instructions from your delightful host and master chef Lat. Individual and purpose built cooking stations ensure you get the complete Thai culinary experience. Book early to reserve your space with chef Lat and her team at Island Organics. Our daily market tour is our own home grown guaranteed 100% pure organic garden!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed April 23, 2017

3 friends and I had an awesome day at the Island Organics farm. Seeing what they have achieved there with innovative farming is truly inspiring! Was great to have a tour around first picking a few things for our class and checking out all the plants, watering systems, aquaponics etc etc. Be prepared if it's a hot day outside though!

In the open air kitchen its nice and cool though with fans going so very pleasant.
All of the meals we cooked were delicious, I only wished I'd been able to eat more of them or take some with us (unfortunately we weren't going straight back to hotel so couldn't get takeaway as others did).

The class itself was easy to follow and I'm looking forward to trying some of the recipes out at home (although not sure i'll be quite as ambitious to make my own coconut milk or curry pastes as we did in the class!). Lat was super friendly and helpful, keeping an eye on us to make sure we were all following along. The class was full (I think) with 12(?) students total. Perfect for large or small groups, or as a couples activity too.

Having a look through Cam's gallery was very interesting as well, some stunning photography of thailand and cambodia.

All in all a fantastic way to spend a day in Thailand, we were gone about 6 hrs total including transfers. Couldn't recommend more highly!

1  Thank Claire0303
IslandOrganics, Owner at Island Organics Thai Cooking Class, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2017

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful and detailed review of your experience onsite with us both. As you witnessed there is certainly a lot going on during a visit to Island Organics and we are so pleased you all enjoyed the day and took it all in. The gallery being the latest addition to our organic gardens and cookery class has been another hit with guests really enjoying a glimpse of se Asia as I've been photographing it for the past 20 years. Was a pleasure to have met you girls and when back on samui by all means come and see what's going on in the gardens or cook up another feast with Lat. Ps all recipes from your Thursday class can be downloaded from the website....

All reviews
in 15 reviews
"truly memorable experience"
"curry paste"

Reviewed April 21, 2017

My husband and I were given this lovely experience as a gift. The Island Organics Thei cooking class was something that we both thoroughly enjoyed. Both Lat and Cameron were fantastic hosts and made the class feel very welcome. I am gluten free and they were able to cater for anyone that had allergies.

We were not sure what to expect from the class but boy did we have a great time. From the very moment we arrived we were treated to a cool drink and some beautiful tropical fruits. Then it was on to the garden tour where Cam and Lat explained everything that they have achieved in their garden from the very humble beginnings.

We cooked four courses consisting of Spring rolls Vegetarian Vegetarian Spring Rolls, Coconut Soup with Chicken, Yellow Curry with Prawns and Papaya Salad. Each person has their own cooking station and at the end of the class we all sat down and ate together.

To Lat and Cameron, thank you so much for such a wonderful and fun experience. We hope to come back soon and have another day with you. Totally awesome.

1  Thank jactepas
Reviewed April 20, 2017

This is our 5th trip to Thailand and 5th Thai cooking class but this was the best one yet in Thailand. Most have taken us to the market to buy the food we cooked but this one added that extra element of showing us through the organic garden where hosts Cameron and Lat grow their own fruit, vege and herbs in a unique and inspiring way. We learnt about composting, improving impoverished and depleted soil, recycling, vertical gardening, aquaponics, DIY fertiliser, clay pot irrigation and lots more. Cam is Ozzy and Lat has excellent English as well so it was a great opportunity to ask lots of questions about food, gardening, travel, culture etc. I took my 70 year old dad along as we took him to Thailand to visit world war 2 sites up north first. He said this was his best day in Thailand. My only tip would be don't have breakfast before you go! Also take some extra cash as Cam's amazing photography is on sale as are beer and soft drink. Try the island made probiotic soft drink as it's sure to take off. Also if the web site says there are no spaces available just send through an email anyway as Viator said there were no spaces available on the day I wanted to book but provided an email address and a note to contact Cam and Lat directly so I am really glad I did! This would also be a great group activity as there were 10 cooking stations set up the day we went and the 2 pick up vehicles are I think 7 seaters:)

1  Thank Elvis P
Reviewed April 16, 2017 via mobile

This was such a fun class. It started with a walk around the garden and futuristic vertical crops which was very educational. And then we had three separate dishes to cook. Our teacher was very helpful and her English was excellent. Our other host Cam was also helpful and is quite the photographer. Thanks for a great class. Highly recommend!!!

3  Thank TylerBean
See more reviews
Reviewed April 12, 2017

I went to Island Organics Thai cooking class with my mum and we both really enjoyed it. My mum is an experienced cook and I'm not but we both enjoyed it equally. We are both vegetarian and attended the class on a day when non veg dishes were being taught but Lat adjusted the class to suit us. We started with a tour of the organic farm which was beautiful! We saw how everything is grown using different methods such as Aquaponics etc which was great to see. Lat taught the class very well and everything was extremely well organised. After the class we all sat together and ate what we had cooked. It was a day well spent. Cam and Lat are so passionate about what they do and that's very inspiring. Cam is also a very good photographer and you can see his work in his studio adjoining the cooking class.

2  Thank Neha245