“Way too expensive for what it is!”
Review of Baan Rom Mai

Baan Rom Mai
Ranked #18 of 68 Chaweng B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We got a good deal and got the budget room for almost half the price they normally ask. We still thought we paid way too much for an old room that seems to be falling apart. They keep things clean and the pool area is really nice. The gardens outside are also very well kept. The more expensive bungalows are probably well kept and worth the price but I would absolutely not recommend the budget rooms as you should be getting much better for that price. The staff are nice, the place seems quite safe and it's not too far from the town and very close to the beach.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 4, 2012

The location of this hotel is what lets it down. It is across the road from the beach but the only way of accessing it is to walk through other hotels which makes the staff annoyed. Also, it is a fair way out from all the nightlife of chewang. The rooms are well kept and are cleaned daily. The best asset to this hotel is the pool which is kept clean. It's in a very quiet location so if you are looking for a party place then this hotel would not suit you.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We had booked a night to stay at the Baan Rom Mai and after we had checked into our room we actually left and found an alternative place to stay.

Although I accept you get what you pay for (and this was dirt cheap) I felt the way the website and other booking websites portraying the hotel were inaccurate and slightly misleading. Our room was filthy (there was a dead bug on my pillow) and the floor/window shutters/fan looked like they hadn't been touched in years. The door and lock did not seem secure.

I think that we were unlucky to have a room that had really been neglected. We looked at a Bungalow before we left and to be fair, these seemed much nicer and much more clean. Definitely worth paying the extra to stay in a bungalow. To the credit of the hotel, the pool also looked lovely.

Staff were friendly, it is close to the airport and about a 5/10 minute walk from the beach (which involved a walk through another hotel).

Room Tip: Choose a bungalow
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ajp124
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We paid £20 for two nights in an aircon room, very clean and standard basic room, staff very accomodating and welcoming and the hotel setting is beautiful, nice garden to front, amazing pool good food and well priced. about 10 min walk from chaweng beach and nice and quiet. Definatly worth the price we paid and very happy with our stay! Would recomend to backpackers looking for abit of cheap "luxury" if there is such a thing.

Room Tip: Ask the staff about day trips they have so much knowledge!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2012

You get what you pay for. I paid $15 usd for this hotel because i am on a budget, and it is not bad at all. Not on the water, but about a 10 min walk to the beach, great location, convenient is just stopping to Samui waiting to go to other islands. Nice staff, clean enough, beautiful vegetation on the grounds; if you dont mind no a/c and not the most comfortable bed, not bad if you are on a budget.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed here in June 2012.The Reception Staff is very freindly!Premises are neat and tidy at all times.
We eat halaal food and am rather disappointed at the breakfast.As we don't eat meat,the hotel should have catered for us fish or veg during breakfast time.Also,The breakfast is served all at once and by the time you have your tea or cofee it is icy cold.Not happy at all with their tea or coffee.Tasteless and like dish water.Gives me the impression they want to get done quick.

They are very "THRIFTY"!!!

They must leave tea bags and coffee satchets at the table...and bring in hot water when the guests asks for it.The guests would then enjoy the tea /coffee.

They were very kind and gave me a ground floor room right next to reception.

They must have people at reception who are fluent in English.They told me that they have security at night when reception is closed.Unfortunately at 2 am,I saw no one.Thanks God ,I did not get sick.Shudder to think what would have happened to me.

Staff is noisy.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I stayed here a couple of weeks ago.The rooms are very comfortable and clean and there is a really nice pool area with a bar that serves food and drink.They also do really nice food in the reception/restaurant area.You can also use the air con computer room at reception and hire a moped from there too.
I found this place perfectly located just far enough away from the hustle and bustle of Chawengs bars and clubs,but just a 5 min walk from the action..
I lost my wallet while I was staying here and the staff were so helpful and understanding while I was stranded,They even brought me coffee while I spent hours making phone calls and using the internet and really stressed to me not to worry about anything until I got sorted again,when your a long way from home with no money in your pocket you cant put a price on that sort of help and kindness.
There are two little friendly dogs that live there that can often be seen walking around with funny outfits on..sooooo cute,,lol
I will definitely stay here when I'm back in Koh Samui.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank chris b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
First Bungalow Beach Resort
#10 of 104 in Chaweng
OZO Chaweng Samui
OZO Chaweng Samui
#8 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Baan Rom Mai? Share your experiences!