“Lovely Asian style hotel”

Dara Samui Beach Resort
Ranked #23 of 103 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed with my partner and 3 friends at the Dara for 5 nights last week. I am a travel agent from australia and our agency has recently got contracts to sell this property so I was curious to see what place was like as well as a little hesitant as we had no feedback as yet on the hotel. I got a pleasant surprise The hotel as well as the rooms has a lovely Asian theme which I loved. The hotel is very centrally located in chaweng with restaurants, bars and shopping at your doorstep. The breakfast was great you got to order off a menu so was nice and fresh and the coffee was great.
The staff were all friendly and helpful and we all especially loved a staff member bau who worked the pool bar he was so friendly and happy.
The only bad thing I could maybe say is the hotel is a little noisy at night being so central in chaweng but you have to expect that being so central.
All in all I would recommend this hotel for the friendly staff, central location and beautiful asian inspired decor. I will definitely be recommending this hotel to my clients.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Stacey512
There are newer reviews for Dara Samui Beach Resort

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stayed at dara Samui last week after having a walk around the hotel earlier in our holiday we booked it for what we thought would be 2 nights of luxury before we left the island. Location was perfect on chaweng beach although there are a lot of hotels on the beach you can choose from. So we arrived at the hotel excited about our stay, there was know one there to great us we had to walk around to find someone, I must say though when we did find someone they took all our cases and took them up the stairs so that we didn't have to carry anything which was nice of them. Whilst checking in we received a cold towel to refresh and a cold drink.. We were then took to our room a supposed 'upgrade' the room was right beside the pool a 'villa' the room was very dated with nets around the bed with squashed flys and dirty marks on it. There was loads of spider webs on the Celling and around the bed, the bath was dirty,the shower was outside but the door was broke so we couldn't get out and there was a window from the bathroom to the outside shower which is ridiculous the room was also full of Mosquitos we got bit after being in the room for 5 minutes, we were just disparate to get out of the room so we went for some food around the pool, my partner got chicken on a stick which was disgusting when the waitress cleared them away she said 'sorry I know they are bed' he was then ill for 2 days which I am sure was FOOD POISIONING. We requested to be moved rooms or have a refund and told the receptionist how bad the room was. She showed us an inner room which we accepted, it was still nothing flash but liveable, I'm so pleased we had only booked 2 nights and not the whole holiday. Still in this room there was Mosquitos and ants in the bed, we had not been bitten for the other 7 days in Koh Samui until entering this hotel we waited an hour and a half for our luggage to be moved after continuously asking the receptionist. The pool is nice but there are only 4 sun loungers so if you like to be around the pool a lot defiantly do not book this hotel. No idea how this is not a 2 * there are loads of 3* hotels on chaweng beach which are much better than this.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2012

my name is Elad, i stayed at Dara Samui hotel
at the hotel there were many israeli people.
also there is a WIFI spots at the lobby and at the pool but there is no WIFI at the rooms.
the people in Kho Samui are very friendly, and there are many options to activities at the island, rant moto bikes, speedboats trips, jet ski and many othres
the room were beautifull and very comftable, the serve is excellente and the pool and the beach are amazing.
all of the crow were very kind. the islan is beautiful and full of atractions.
the breakfest is a kings mael, also the dineers are good.
it was better if there were more kinds of cheese at breakfest.
the size of the dineerrs meal are very small.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Elad Y
rmdarasamui, Manager at Dara Samui Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Elad Y,

Just a short note to say thank you very much for choosing to stay with us at Darasamui and also for reviewing us on tripadvisor.com.

I was very pleased to read of your encouraging words in regards to our facilities, the room and of course our team members.

Once again, thank you for your review and we all hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,

Ms.Kesorn Khaorueng
Resort Manager

Reviewed October 10, 2012

the room was very comfotable, the service was grate and the beach was excited. we ate in the resturant of the hotel and it was wonderfull. we think that the children food was too small but it was good enought....
in the pool was happy hour and it was grate and funny but we think that they need to do that earlier and it will be perfect. the beach was dreamy but we think the hotel need to clean the weeds from the beach and the sea.. the brakefast was good ! we think that the hotel need to add more cheese to the food and more choclate cakes and vanilla cakes!!! we recommand about the resturant in the hotel and the view is grate.. we liked to be here its the best hotel ever.. we want to be here next year and see another extra stuff for the children like the diving.. we liked the thing of the free wi-fi cards that make it able to call our family in Israel!!!! this vacation was good and exciting we liked the ko-samui island.. we want to be here next year and all of our vacations!!!! we liked the room service.

Room Tip: the villa room number 122!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2012

When I booked this hotel I was very excited of the high class and location according to what the web site said but 3 minutes after arrival all hell broke loose.
This hotel is located in Chaweng Beach, very busy place but the center of the actions if this is what you are looking for.
After we arrived we were informed that they had a problem with the reservations and they were over booked, this was the story to the entire guest that arrived with us. We booked two double rooms and paid in advance and the manager offered to "upgrade" to a Family room, after looking at the suggested room it had only one bathroom (for 4 persons!) but it had the most beautiful Bath/Jacuzzi. After seeing we have no other options we took the room. Only after we were in the room and wanted to use the Bath we noticed two problems, the bath took over 5 hours to fill UP! And the Jacuzzi did not work. When I called to get a technician to fix the Jacuzzi I was informed that this is not a working Jacuzzi!!! What a disappointment I felt that I was tricked.
This continued for the rest of the stay, two days we did not get towels in our room the EXCUSE is the hotel is fully booked, also towels in the pool where not always available, once our room was not made up when we called to complain I was told that we did not put the sign to make the room I pointed to the receptionist that there is NO sign in our room, she came to look and agreed but then the next excused was that she called to ask if the room should be made but we did no answer. After this answer I understood that I had nobody to talk to.
To summarize this hotel is badly run and the service is a 1 star (and I am being generous) I would recommend to stay away and pay for another hotel. The same thing that Happened to us happened to at least another 5 rooms we talked to during breakfast.
There are many options meters away so go to another Hotel.
I have to say that I was always polite and did not raise my voice, maybe this was my mistake.
I can guess the answer from the hotel, but after hearing all their excuses I am sure not believing them anymore.

Room Tip: Do not book a room at this hotel this is my tip
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TravelerMX2
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights, and we had a very good time.
First of all, the hotel looks amazing. It is clearly seen that a lot of effort was put in the design and maintenance of the facility. Lot of fish ponds statues and plants.
We stayed at the villa - so i'll share the experience of that; the hotel has 3-4 villas at the end of the property - closest to the beach, pool and dining area. the room is pretty big, with an amazing bad, outdoor (private) shower, dvd-player, and all other things you can imagine.
The breakfast is a little different then what we used to: first you sit at your place, and receive a menu (quit diverse), then you order a dish (or two - it's ok). After that you go to the buffet to take some salads drinks bread etc. The food id very good. And finally the coffee is good too.
The pool is a little small in my opinion, but its not crowded. The private beach of the hotel is quit, intimate, and amazingly beautiful.

The best part of the hotel, is surely the staff. We have never encountered such nice, helpful and smiley people. All of them, the girls at the reception, the waiters at breakfast, the cleaning people, all of them are smiling, saying hello and will love to help you.
I've never seen such helpful and smiley people! It raised our vacation in the hotel to another level. By the way, almost all of them are speaking excellent English - after almost a month in Thailand that was a very nice surprise.

There is no WiFi in the rooms - but there is a cable modem - with free access. we stayed in the villa, so we had an excellent WiFi signal from the pool area! :-)

The only downside that i can think about is that the furniture in the room feels a little old. But that's really being a petty.

The location is the best as it gets. Chaweng is considered the best beach on the island - therefor the center of night life is just 1 minute walking away, but it is far away enough to get a good sleep without all the noise and music over there.

GREAT hotel - EXCELLENT staff!
all the locals say that this hotel is the best in the island, and now i believe them.
Will surely get back here with my friends and family.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the villas, and we had an excellent Wifi Signal from the pool and dining area...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark A
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This resost and spa hotel, is one of the finest ive ever been to.
Lets start with the service - 10/10. Every one is smiling, every one is nice and kind. You feel like the crew wants you to stay forever.
Romms - 10/10. Amazing rooms, quality bed, hot water.. all you need is there.
Breakfast - 10/10. Quality menu, lots of choiced and every choice is a good choice. Drinks, cornflakes, cheeze and salad.. absolutely amazing.
Overall review - 10/10. We enjoyed every moment we stayed at the hotel, and we would stay more if we could.. best choice at Koh Samui island!

Room Tip: Each room is good, no doubt.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family