“Excellent value for money!”
Review of The Laem Din Hotel

The Laem Din Hotel
Ranked #91 of 103 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed in mid September which turned out to be the start of the quiet season. Checked in with no problems. Room for the price is large with a kingsize bed, fridge and tv. The cleaners were superb and cleaned the room every day, changing sheets and towels in the process which was brilliant. Reception were always friendly and helpful when needed. This hotel is just far enough from the beach to be quiet at night and just close enough for a quick stroll for a swim. I loved the fact that I got a couple hundred metres to walk off a lovely dinner on the beach!. There are a lot of little shops and bars that are much of the same and the people are the same everywhere you go in chewang - always trying to get you in their bar/restaurant or sell you something. Its strange at first but you just get used to it and find more interesting ways of saying no thank you as the holiday goes on. They are not pushy and will usually leave you after the first 'no'. We wanted a base and somewhere to store our belongings whilst we went out and explored Koh Samui and this is exactly what we got. I have stayed in 5 star hotels and the service we received here beats it hands down. If you want a beach front apartment then I would suggest you pay for such a holiday. If you want a nice room that allows you to sleep at night and more money to spend on going to the amazing places this island has to offer like Angthong, the safari parks and the beaches then I would highly recommend the Laem Din. The price was great, the staff were great and the room was great.

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank LJGG

Reviewed July 8, 2012

We came to Koh Samui late that night and the old man behind the desk needed help to translate from the FX hotel ( who i think are partners with Laem Din) because the woman behind was wearing a FX shirt. A very good budget hotel with CLEAN rooms, good location and very helpfull personell. We was a group of 5 people and no one had a bad experience. I want to salut the cleaing lady for making our room spotless.

I also must mention the funny old man who are sitting behind the desk on nights, he is VERY helpfull and funny when he explain thing and try to understand. I had many laughts and i will remember this hotel because of him.

I recommend this hotel if you are on a bugdet and a couple. Near to the main shopping street and marked. Just a 5 min walk to the beach. Every taxi driver did also know where Laem din was, thats a plus for me. And no noice, i sleept GOOD

Room Tip: All rooms are like. Pick the one at the back, no noice.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 15, 2012

This is a 10min walk from the beach. You will pay at least 5 time more for a beachfront property with pool so this is super budget hotel. 15 usd per night. By beach is 50+ so depends what you want and need. This is very much a budget hotel but has air con, wifi and ensuite bathroom.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Stuman1
Reviewed January 20, 2012

We met Tand (family owner/sales guy) on our boat trip from Phi Phi to Koh Samui. We had not booked any hotels so decided that we would try it out for a night. We turned up and the hotel looked ok for 1500BAHT - Thats AUD$45 per night for the room. (3 people). Not a bad deal. It was clean and staff were friendly and helpful. We also got to use the rooftop pool at FX hotel next door. This hotel is situated approx 5mins walk from the main street of Chaweng. An easy walk to the main beaches. We had planned to stay in a beachfront resort - however decided that would be be best to stay at Laem Din longer and spend the extra $$ on tours/food/shopping. If you want value for money - try this place.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at the Laem Din Hotel. The people there were really nice and helpful and even let my parents phone the hotel landline on christmas day to speak to me. The rooms were probably the best rooms we stayed in as a group during our 3 weeks in Thailand. I loved the fact that the rooms were large and had everything we needed including a huge fridge, cupboard, mirror, tv and balcony. The TV was especially great as it had loads of channels so we could watch some of the English channels. The bathroom was also nice and more importantly clean. Also there was free wifi and not only in the lobby but in the hotel rooms which was great! There isn't much in the way of restaurants in this area, but there is the night market very close by (within walking distance) which we went to twice and had 50 Baht mojitos! There was also some nice clothing and touristy things to buy. We also hired scooters from the hotel which was great fun. I would definately stay at this place again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 19, 2011

I'm writing this review on our holiday I'm that annoyed with this hotel. We've travelled from Railay Bay to Koh Phi Phi then to Koh Samui. We booked in an expensive resort (Muang Kulaypan Hotel) for three nights as we love it so much but as we're travelling for 3 weeks we decided to stop here for a cheaper option beforehand.

When we made the booking we didn't expect much; clean room, shower, pool, tv. We chose this hotel over cheaper ones that were actually on the beach because it looked really good for the price.

We arrived at the hotel which is in the middle of the 'red light district' surrounded by prostitutes at night shouting you to come in to their fat old white western men bars. There's no scenery apart from a lake opposite. The check in was fine and we recieved really really nice welcome drinks. We were shown to our room and everything was fine, basic but fine. May I add in that at this point no other customers were to be seen- I'm sure we were the only ones staying here.

So we're in our room. There's a letter on the side explaining due to the floods (3 WEEKS AGO!!) we have no working television. A little annoyed but we're not the sort of people to moan, besides we had a laptop full of movies we could watch instead. I looked out on the balcony to see a massive roof so we had no view yet so many free rooms could be seen that would have amazing views.

An hour of being in the room we were still sweating it was so hot, we couldn't relax. The Aircon was obviously broke. On our way out to go to a restaurant for dinner we asked at reception to the supervisor if we could get our Aircon fixed or room changed. He took our key and said when we come back we can change room. We thought no worries, that's fine. Just before we left we asked him what time the pool opens in the morning to which his response was "Oh, no pool, the floods make it not work". Really not impressed I say it's ridiculous that they didn't tell us before our arrival that we had no TVs or Pool yet they expect us to pay the same price or at least tell us upon check in. He didn't even say ANYTHING, just stood silent, no apology or any attempt at compensation e.g. a breakfast etc.

We went for food and upon our return there was a different person on reception and we stood there for about twenty minutes explaining what was agreed with our room. Bearing in mind, he had our key so thought we were checking in again so wanted another payment... patience wearing thin he phones someone to come in. A really rude person came in and spoke to us as if we were stupid and ALL we wanted was a room with working Aircon, that's IT. So he takes us to our room and he just gives us the key and walks off, so we move everything along the corridor, get in the room... Aircon doesn't work. It's not that it doesn't work, they just don't go below 25 degrees. When checking the room further, we found brown stained headboards, ripped bed cushions, wiped mosquito bodies up the walls.

We checked out really early so that we could go and stay at Muang Kulaypan Hotel and enjoy their hospitality. When we got to reception, I can't express how miserable and silent the staff were. Strangely there was an English guy (mid 50s) with a name badge saying 'Manager' he took our key, not saying a single word. We stood there for 15 minutes (and 15 minutes is a long waiting time) to be told 'ok, go' from a Thai lady behind the counter.

NICE. Real cherry on the top there.

And before my review is over may I add we did not have a flat screen TV which was advertised, a safe depository box which was advertised and a hotel set in beautiful gardens that was advertised. Yes the accomodation was cheap for the area but definately not worth the room and service we recieved. Try Chaweng Budget Resort which allows you to use their sister hotels pool and includes breakfast and is 200BHT cheaper.

I've uploaded lots of photos to support what I'm saying.

Seriously, don't bother with this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SMovement
Reviewed April 21, 2010

We need to stay for one night at a hotel in Chaweng before we headed off to Lamai. We choose this hotel due to reading reviews on Trip Advisor and I wasn't disappointed. It's a good clean hotel. The staff were very good and helpful. The location though isn't ideal as we wanted to be in the heart of Chaweng but this was on the edge. Not a major issue as we walked to the main drag of Chaweng with ease. The rooms were large, clean and good. One moan would be that it's a bit dated. Nothing wrong with that though as the cleanliness more the makes up for it.

Worth noting about the location it is right near the Muai Thai arena and a long street full of little bars. Me and my wife walked down the street and hit a night club called Reggae which is huge and very good.

Finally we was told on arrival we could use the swimming pool! I was not expecting this but it turns out they now have a sister hotel opposite which was still under construction (internally only). So we went to have a look at the sister hotel (I think they called it Renaissance but don't quote me on that) and we had a snoop around (no staff at the entrance) and it looks as though it will be of a high spec. Rooms looked very nice. Modern. As for the pool, which funnily isn't complete (some lights need to be fitted) it is fantastic. Part infinity type pool on the 4th floor over looking Chaweng. Fantastic views and a welcome surprise of use for us.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple