“Heavenly Papilion”
Review of Papillon Resort

Papillon Resort
Ranked #51 of 103 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We stayed at this wonderful resort in late December 2012. I cannot reccommend it highly enough to anyone looking for fabulous hospitality and great value for money. The staff were absolutely brilliant- friendly and ever-helpful. The French food was amazing - delicious daily specials and the best croque monsieur in the world. The Thai menu is also fantastic. The pool deck and garden are gorgeous. The resort is on the quieter end of Chaweng beach, but not too far from all the shops and restaurants. Rooms are simple, but quiet and clean. We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Although the sea view rooms have spectacular views, the ones at the rear of the resort are quiet and...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Heather I

Reviewed January 16, 2012

I have recently come back from Thailand and our stay at Papillon was without question one of the highlights. We were a reasonable sized group and we were treated like royalty from the time we arrived.

The food is exceptional; whether you want Thai cuisine or even something more familiar to a Western palate, you will find a number of simply phenomenal dishes. We almost could not stop eating. But all that paled in comparison to the quality of the service and the friendliness of the staff. We were so warmly welcomed that we even became friendly and familiar with the management team's significant others. We never had to wait for anything and a very festive last meal shared with the staff will live long in the memory.

Located incredibly conveniently just above Chaweng main road, it was the perfect place for all of our needs. The rooms are very comfortable and great value for money; anything we lacked was quickly resolved.

I will go back in a heartbeat! Could not be happier!

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back are a bit quieter, but noise is not a problem at all. The rooms for more than...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Andrewirvs
Reviewed January 15, 2012

My wie and I spent a good week at the papillon resort. Nice room, great staff ( all very friendly and helpfull). Food was great (both thai and european food) and we also had an awesome dinner cause of new years eve.
Although we had a few days with rainy weather we liked it very much. We even did a cooking course and (thx to Francois) we made a delicious dinner for ourselves (it only was a bit too much food for the two of us lol).

Jos en Dineke

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 26, 2011

My wife and I spent a wonderful 8 nights at this resort - best decision of our holiday. we LOVED this place. Resort is on the beach front and has a great view. Its location is quite convenient. Just a 5 min by motocycle to the night market as well as to the main shopping belt. The rooms are lovely and clean. The beach is lovely and wasn’t too busy when we visited. The pool was a simple.

We enjoyed the breakfast buffet which had many things we liked. We also loved lazing around on the day beds and ordering cocktails. The staff were always quick to attend to us and very polite.Staffs were excellent - everyone very friendly and helpful. I celebrated a birthday while staying and was surprised to receive a cake, flowers and card from my wife and the staff.! Great cake. Overall the experience was excellent and it is a well run. The dinner menus at “Le café des arts” restaurant were appealing to all our tastes It was also excellent. - OMG - the best ever!

The owner of Papillon Resort told me that they have “Papillon residence” that’s apartments rent for week or month. I no need to pay a lot of money. If i want to stay in Samui a long time. Great deal for me and my family.

Would love to stay here again, we recommend it to you all

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank David T
Reviewed October 19, 2011

The staff was very nice. The environment was beautiful and quiet. The room was clean. You can relax by watching seaview from the resort and restaurant.

The facilities were OK. I love the style in the restaurant “Le café des art” and the taste was so delicious -Thai and international food.

I stayed at papillon resort for 1 week. I have a great trip.
Anyway, I will come back again

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Debo F
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed at Papillon for 3 nights on our family vecation.
Located at the northern end of Chaweng beach this resort has a beautiful beach that can't be used for swimming. When there is high tied you can't walk to the rest of the beach. When there is low tied you can walk on the beach (10 minutes) to the area of shops and restaurants, but the sea is very far and you can't swim.
Thus you must rent a scooter to get everywhere. If you do so - location is good and close to everywhere.
Staff is nice and willing to help. As most of the guests are french, the Thai people speak french but their Englisg is very weak.
Rooms are very nice decorated and have a special atmosphere. They are clean and with AC, DVD, fridge, and good shower.
Food is good, but very expensive, beside breakfast that was included in price.
Wifi is free only in public areas.
Swimming pool, which includes jacuzzi, is on the beach with beatuiful views of Chaweng beach.
overall a nice expeience.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank rafaely
Reviewed August 13, 2011

My 1.5 year old and I stayed there for 1 night before our flight back from Ko Samui to BKK, and liked it -

Location: It's located on the edge of Chaweng Beach, pretty remote - so definitely a long walk or car ride to town. Nowhere near the action of course, but cabs are cheap and walk is nice. Lots of great places to eat etc on the way too if u take the road - i had amazing massage at Magnolia only a couple of blocks away - highly recommend. Taxi to town and back is easy and cheap and yet the place is very calm and remote

Rooms: Small and basic, but with nice touches (stone in the bathroom everywhere, little patio etc)

Pool and beach - it was OK, a bit dirty and deserted at the time, but they were cleaning it and it was rainy anyhow, and we were swimming for the past 3 weeks before, so were OK. Beach didn't look swimmable, but the hotel is right on the beach (our bangaloo was garden view, so no view, but there seems to be view from other rooms and definitely fromthe restaurant

Restaurant - pretty decent food, cheap prices. electricity was down but they still were able to cook something for us, and it was pretty good

Internet - needed to buy a card, and internet was a bit problematic at this hotel (I needed it in the rooms). Other travellers said that it was easy and free to connect at the restaurant. I needed to reconfirm my reservation and staff let me use their computers which was really nice of them i thought...

Staff - very friendly, played with my daughter and tried to help us with our needs. Gave us a ride to the airport too (a driver spoke great English as a nice bonus).

Bed was of course hard but u can't expect more from a budget hotel in Thailand. TV worked well, there were several english channels.

Overall - definitely good value for the money, we paid very little last minute.
It's french owned i think and lots of visitors are french - adds nice touch to otherwise pretty simple hotel

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family