“A wonderful experience !”

Novotel Samui Resort Chaweng Beach Kandaburi
Ranked #28 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Balmain, New South Wales, Australia
“A wonderful experience !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

The rooms are lovely, modern with a Thai twist, huge bathroom and bedroom area is large ca 40 sqm, all rooms have balconies and the beds are really comfy, the bathroom is quite open, being that it has wooden blinds leading in to the bedroom which gives the room a spa feeling when blind is open :). Located on the beach and the hillside ( on the other side of the road with great views as up on the hill) only a stroll from Chawengs hustle and bustle ( suggest to walk along the beach or take a tuck tuck. Great Hotel for a conference, fantastic conference rooms facilities and incredible supportive and friendly staff. The hotel manager John was doing everything in his power to make this an incredible experience. I highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: I would say to try to book on the beach side on the second floor, but if with children a ground floo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Irene L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Phu Quoc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I arrived to a post wedding party at 11:00 pm Saturday night. Concierge was very helpful taking time to get me checked in and find friends at the wedding reception. We had a standard room, dark hard wood floors, king size bed, day bed, separate shower/tub in a huge bathroom, safe, fridge, t.v. ironing board, toiletries, and shampoos/body wash supplied by the resort. Our room was across beachside on Chaweng Road which was much larger than the standard rooms beachside. Even so, the parking situation was a bit of a pain, as we had to park at the street and walk up the hill a ways to get back to the room. The floors are numbered inconsistently also between elevators, so depending on the elevator you took, it was easy to get lost coming back to the room.
The complimentary hot breakfast was also mediocre, as one morning they ran out of bacon before service was over. Also, ordering fried eggs from the omelet station resulted in undercooked eggs! The variety of thai foods and english breakfast though was nice and you could find fresh fruits, or light or hearty foods depending on your mood.
The view was great on the beach side restaurant, as you could dine and enjoy the view straight out into the ocean. One tip, if you prefer a cocktail or two during your stay, go to the 7-11 and purchase a bottle and make your own drinks! The drinks at the resort bar are pricey and for my tastes, a bit light too. Also, ice melts fast so drink quick if you want good flavor. :)
Going out into the street there were 24/7 securitas crossing guards there to help you get across, or even to hail a cab. Guards were extremely cordial and always ready to greet with a friendly hello. All in all, I would definitely stay here again.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We were checked in while sitting on couches in the lobby. Everything here is very laid back. We were given a dark red drink during check-in, but no one explained what it was. Our room was on the ocean side. But what that actually means is it's on the ocean side of the street. This hotel is split into two sections. Hillside and Ocean. Hillside is across the street and ocean is on the other side. It does not mean you have a view of the hillside or ocean...fyi. Full disclosure- the mosquitoes were out of control here. We had to go to a local pharmacy and pick up our own coils to leave on the balcony and we sprayed outside of all the doors. Why they have lili ponds lining the entire hotel is beyond me. It's basically a breeding ground for mosquitoes. The bathroom of our room smelled like urine and the floor tiles had black in the cracks. I don't even wanna know what that was all about. On the plus side, the food was pretty good. And the pool was nice and shaded. The staff were friendly and helpful...when they were around. I tried to call the front desk for a wake up call one night, and no one answered the phone. I called and waited a while and called again. Still no answer. So I just set my phone. But where were they? What if there were an emergency? The rooms were super dark. Not enough light at all. I could barely see inside my suitcase. Even during the day with the curtains open and lights on. It was the type of place that you almost get used to. You just have to lower your expectations a bit. On the plus side, Friendly massage is awesome, and right down the street.

1 Thank MakMakTravelBug
England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed at kandaburi for two weeks, we travelled to Thailand to meet my sister and her boyfriend who had been travelling and we paid for them to have a room on our second week as it was my 30 th birthday and as a treat for them to stay somewhere 'luxurious' as they usually stay in hostels. We intended to stay for our third week until the incident happened. We had always used the safe for ipads cameras etc and the morning of my birthday i had been using my iphone in the room before going to the pool. Once at the pool i realised i had left the phone on the bed and not put it in the safe I was going to go back to the room to retrieve it but my boyfriend and sister both said oh it will be fine, we had been at the hotel two weeks at this point and had no problems all the staff seemed friendly and helpful and we naïvely thought a maid would not steal from the rooms in a 4/5* hotel - as risking losing their job would not be worth it, but obviously the reason they do steal is because they know there will be no punishment. We returned to the room just three hours later and the phone was gone. My boyfriend rang it straight away from his mobile and it was switched off so we immediately knew it had been stolen as there was a key lock on the phone so thankfully they could not have used it so they had obviously took the sim card out. I went straight to reception who sad the bed had ben changed that day so they would check the laundry - if the phone had been still switched on and ringing I would have thought this to be a reasonable explanation but the fact it was off I knew this was not the case. Needless to say it was not found in the laundry basket. The hotel knew the exact two maids who had been in the room - tick and boi (not sure if those spellings are correct) and the hotel questioned them both and they both said they had not seen the phone (rolls eyes) what else are they going to say oh here it is in my pocket!! They had both left work at this point so I knew I would not see the phone again. i spoke to the manager - John David Gill and he could not have cared less he just repeated that the staff had been questioned and denied any knowledge. As nobody else had been into the room (ie no forced entry) just these two scumbag cleaners and i knew exactly where i had left the phone - which was now missing and switched off - I said to him what other explanation is there??? The fact is my phone was insured -whether i lost it myself or if it was stolen- so as i explained to the manager I would achieve nothing by making this up as I would get a new phone even if i lost the phone through my own stupidity. The thing i was most annoyed by is I had had that phone over 12 months and the pictures on it which were sentimental and cannot be replaced. Also this happened on my birthday, our room had been decorated with banners and balloons by my boyfriend and obviously its never ok to steal anything but as i said to the manager what sort of scum robs a phone knowing full well it was my birthday!! He could not have been less bothered, he wrote me an extremely vague letter for my insurance which did not admit any fault by the hotel. We asked for the police and by the next morning they still had not been (they were apparently busy working on another case - although in hindsight i doubt the hotel even informed the police!) so we decided to check out as we were not prepared to spend any more money in this hotel. The hotel still charged us the full amount we owed them for our two rooms and minibars - no offers of anything as an apology - we had more than enough money to pay for everything but it was the principal. We had been good customers sitting by the pool paying for their overpriced food and drinks day after day for two weeks and tipping the staff each time. Then the minute we have a problem the management did not want to know!! I know the management could not have got my phone back once she had left the hotel but at least if I thought she had been reprimanded in some way - but by doing nothing she will not be deterred from doing it again. This is my third trip to Thailand so I know what sort of place it is and you have to be careful etc which is why we always pay more to stay in supposed high end hotels. There are plenty of other hotels along Chaweng for the same price spend your money in a place where people respect you.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
16 Thank karen23
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. For the cost, it is good value for money. The rooms are lovely, modern with a thai twist, huge bathroom and bedroom area is large, all rooms have balconies too and the beds are really comfy, but please advise clients that the bathroom is quite open, being that it only has curtains that are quite see through rather than an actual door, so not ideal if you travel with a friend.

Breakfast buffet is really good, lovely choices to make in the morning. The hotel has two pools, both are average sized, but adequate and are really nice to relax by, especially with complimentary pool towels and two restaurants and is split into two. Beachside and Hillside. It's separated by a road, but it is very easy to walk from top to bottom, quite nice to be away from the noise beach if you stay hillside. It's about a 10 minute walk into Chaweng itself, again, good to be in the quieter area. They also provide a three-time free shuttle into Chaweng, very useful.
Generally the staff are very helpful, especially the bellboys and restaurant staff, but a couple of miserable reception staff actually let the whole hotel down, service with a smile costs nothing, but will cost this hotel repeat clients. Don't take anything away from the rest of the hotel though, it's a really good choice and is really good value and don't hesitate to stay here, but for me, next time, I'll stay somewhere else...

2 Thank Byron_DAF
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on the hillside room. We were okay with walking across the street to get to the beach. The pool is great and the rooms were very spacious. The resort is in a remote area and a bit far from the main area. The breakfast was really good and lots to choose from.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SPR8
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I recently stayed at the Kandaburi Resort with 4 other people for 5 days. Upon arriving to the hotel I did find the staff a little cold with their attitude (they also spoke VERY little English), as they told us to go to a room which was apparently 'reception' but looked more like an administration office, not to be viewed by the public. We had booked a hillside room TOTALLY unaware that this was actually ACROSS the road (this hotel does not advertise its hillside bedrooms as 'across the road'. When I found out about this I was not happy and asked the hotel staff how much it would be to stay on the other side of the road (beach side) and they informed me it would be an extra $60 AUD a night and the rooms were smaller then the hill side ones. We choose not to upgrade as it wasn't worth the extra money. The hill side room we did have though was huge which was the best thing about staying at the Kandaburi. We had a problem with the air-conditioning leaking though, it began to leak so heavily that we ended up having to call reception at midnight to request maintenace to come and fix it (which they did immediately). I feel the rooms were a little dated and you could get better value for money at many other resorts in Chaweng. This resort is to far away from Chaweng Central and unless you a prepared for a long hot walk into town everyday you will need to hire a scooter or catch the Kandaburi Shuttle bus or a taxi. I recommend staying somewhere like the Chaweng Regent Resort which is extremely central and better value for money with nicer amenities.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends