“Paradise!!!!”

Novotel Samui Resort Chaweng Beach Kandaburi
Ranked #29 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I don't know why some people are complaining about this resort, but for us it was the highlight of our trip to Thailand!!! Location is good, the grounds are soooo beautiful, beach is quiet and safe, the breakfast is really good... When we arrived I asked to an upgrade, and we were given a hillside room with our own private pool!!! It was sooo nice!!! And our room was just next to the breakfast area which was convenient. And it only takes 3 minutes walking to the beach.. There was an employee there helping us crossing the road, and he was always smiling!!! One morning we arrived for breakfast at 10:15 thinking it finishes at 10:30.. We were so hungry, so the waiter brings us toasts, coffee and fruits for us even if the breakfast was over!! What a great gesture!! The pool is sooo beautiful with a bathtub in it.. The only complaints I have is that the food at the hotel is expensive compare to other places in Thailand, so we ate almost everyday at a restaurant called Your Place right on the beach (2 min walk south from the hotel) where you can have a complete meal for between 3$ and 10$ and it was so good!!They have specials every day...Even for glasses of wine very cheap!! There was a band there playing nice music at night and we watched fireworks on the beach!! And another thing: the maid service at the hotel was below average,,, I had to call several times the reception because the maid forgot to give us towels and bottles of water.. They said it would be coming but it didn't so I had to call again 3 times and ask again for the same thing.. That bothered me!!!!Overall we loved this place and we'll be back someday... Koh Samui was the place we loved most during our trip to Thailand and next time we'll stay longer!!!!

Room Tip: Take a room on the hillside with a private pool access.. It's cheaper than beachfront and more p...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Julie L

Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed here this April (2012). We considered advice from this forum, and booked the beach side room.

Rooms: Good. Not the best for the price tag. Although rooms are tagged 'beach side', there was no view of the sea. Apparently every room is such.

Pool: Excellent. Its rather small, but has these built in couch like shapes at the side, so you can just set yourself all day sipping Singha and reading the kindle...in water!

Breakfast: Good. We stayed at the beach side but went up to the hill side for breakfast. The sitting up there is great, view is great and options are bit different! Quality of food was good.

Beach: Stinks. Literally. Now this screwed up the whole thing for us. The part of Chewang beach here is so bad, the water does not move. We could see moulding on the sand! The hotels flow their pool waters into sea here. Actually the location of the hotel is absolutely wrong on Google maps. Search for 'Magnolia Day Spa, Chaweng' (the famous spa next door) and that's where it really is. Far north of the Chewang beach, where water is not clean.

We would take the trip to 'The Library Resort' every single day for enjoying the waters and the beach. There the beach is so nice and clean just as we had imagined it when we left for vacation. I wish we had booked some other resort, on the main Chaweng beach. It was a waste to have booked Kanda Buri. Beach is what Koh Samui is about. Its one of its kind. Beautiful.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pezaad
Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

First thing I'd like to say is that whilst I think everybody is entitled to there own opinion maybe some should do proper research before booking a hotel. Me and my girlfriend stayed here for 6 nights and were very pleased with our stay. People moaning about having to cross the road to the main hotel and beach have all failed to mention it is the hillside which has a very nice quiet (hardly any children) pool and a very good breakfast buffet with something for everybody. The staff were very good to us, they helped book a day trip and helped straight away when we had an issue with our safe. Again people moaning about it not being in town should check before they go. We booked it for that reason. It's a 5 min tuk tuk drive for about 100bt and you're far away so you can get a nice peaceful sleep at night. The only issues I did have we're there was no wifi in the rooms which would have been nice and the curtain instead of a toilet door was not the greatest if you have been eating unfamiliar Thai food! Internet is available for free in all the restaurants outside the resort and you can get your laundry done for a quarter of the price outside the resort so don't use thei service. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat and I'd recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank Andyspurs1985
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I like the previous author I felt I had to write my review of this resort.
My husband and 2 year old have just returned from Thailand after a 12 night stay at Kandaburi and I would like to echo the review of the previous author and add a few more things we were very disappointed with.
Breakfast yes lots available but what about some children's options and what about the chefs at the egg station being trained before given the job. Also some healthier options for breakfast would have been nice maybe even a herbal tea..
The staff, poor poor poor and rude everything we asked for took an age and no one wanted to help. On calling housekeeping to request clean beach towels (which was a daily occurrence) I was told to call reception as they did not understand..... So why give them a phone. I completely understand that English is a second language but this is hospitality and the right staff need to be able to offer a decent standard of service.
All bedding and towels were shabby as where the beach loungers and the beach umbrellas, there was no one there to assist around the pool and the pool toilet was always dirty.
The food in the restaurants was poor and lacked flavor and taste, and prices were very high compared to surrounding beach restaurants.
We travelled with our two year old and there were no child options for food or drinks and no discounted smaller portion options... A two year old cannot eat a full adult portion??
The fitness room was a shame nothing worked and it was so dirty with the ac control unit was hanging off the wall...... I went once and could not face it again so thank goodness for the beautiful long beach for my early morning exercise.

The spa well that was a disaster it smelledof paint and the facial I would not recommend, we have stayed in Koh Samui 4 times now and it has really put me off returning to this resort.

The management were none existent and it felt that the owners are trying to take as much cost out of the operation which is impacting on service, and standards.

Anyone wanted to visit koh Samui should go its a beautiful place just be careful on your choice of resort, go for Saboey in fishermans village or Beach Republic in Lamai.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Louise D
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This hotel was amazing. We had spent a night at Mercury, which had a dirty beach. So we went to chaweng and found a nice crystal clear beach and Kanda Buri at a great price. The room was in the back, on the other side of the road from the beach. But this was no trouble and our building had its own pool, separate from the more crowded main pool. And they give you a ride in a golf cart with your luggage. 1 min stroll to main area of hotel and beach. Our bathroom was incredible, modern and as big as the bedroom with double vanities. balcony overlooked the pool. only faults were that the bathroom had a curtain rather than a door and the food was mediocre. But you can stroll down the beach to one of the dozens of other restraints.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Stayed here after carefully reviewing several other hotels in chaweng and have been sadly disappointed.

I never write reviews but felt I had to on this one.

We arrived thinking wow but when we were taken to our room we were taken out of the hotel and taken over the road to apartment blocks so we didn't feel part of the hotel. We felt a bit ripped off to be honest and not even on the beach. We could of got a hotel on the beach and an apartment across the road for about £10 per day so it's a con. It is quite far to the beach as well or if you need to nip to your room. Its hilly and in that blistering, humid samui heat somehow seems further and we are both fitness fanatics!!

Hotel not even in town centre. There were loads of hotels more central, chaba etc that would of been cheaper. You just need your hotel to have good location here, good beach and breakfast. None of which this hotel has.

The beach - Do NOT come here for a relaxing beach holiday! The beach sellers are a NIGHTMARE!! I am used to being asked to buy tat on a hotel beach and usually they have manners and the decency to leave you alone after a polite no thankyou. Well.. Not here!! There are about 8 of them and they harass you - all day, the ice cream man being the worst. They stand there watching you whilst you are sun bathing and shout every time they walk past. Some days we would drift to sleep and be woken up by the ice cream man shouting to wake us up as if it was on purpose. When we looked up there was about 4 of them stood there. One of them mimicked what the ice cream man had said and they were laughing at us. They try to befriend you and tell you sob stories but its all fake. He sells one ice lolly for 50 baht, we got two for that in 7/11! We just wouldnt buy off him in principle. The ice cream man really got on our nerves an we complained to the reception desk 4 times who told us every time they would inform security. We were again disturbed an we looked up and security were just watching, disgusting when you have paid good money for a relaxing beach holiday. I don't want to sound like a miserable moaning person as I never complain about anything. We had a banter with them but I advise you not to as they do not leave you alone. They disturbed everybody there and I heard other people complain but the hotel don't care! We hired mopeds and drove through down the end of town and relaxed on the beach there. There was beach sellers there but they left you alone. Beach nice here but we would of preferred to be able to go by the hotel.

On arriving, we both thought wow. We were sat down and told to wait 5 minutes whilst they copied our passports. We were offered a drink and day there baking in our british thick cotton trousers. 20 minutes later I politely asked how much longer and was told 5 minutes. Another 15 mins later I asked again and was told to wait another 5 mins. 20 mins later my partner complained and we were greeted by a staff member who was going to show us to our room. A female colleague then came out and swapped the key with him an we were told we had been upgraded. We were across the road, and situated in the highest block, the furthest away! We weren't happy but just thankful to be able to change and get settled so we didn't complain. We felt the lady swapped the key because we'd complained to her 3 times due to the lengthy wait but decided to let it go.

The first night, very tired so had early night. Bed is most uncomfortable bed ever, we stayed here for 2 weeks and we both had bad backs for 2 weeks!!

Food - overpriced and not nice!

Breakfast - no fat free milk or bran flakes. Good variety of Thai foods noodles etc but English food limited. Ommelette not cooked through and use too much oil so opted for poached an they were not cooked through. No option for boiled eggs. Only butter no low fat option. Cerial choice limited and no sausage, just very cheap fatty streaked bacon. We always stay in 4 star hotels and have always enjoyed the breakfast but this was very limited for us Brits. Coffee ALWAYS cold!

Gym - very small, old machines and one broke for entire 2 weeks!

Pools - 2 of, very average and most sun lounges in shade and no hot tub!

Maids - fake! Smile at you then you look back and they are miserable. Dont do that good job in the room and always forget to leave you beach towels! In other hotels we've stayed in, the maids are in an out of your room all the time and are very thorough. Just didn't seem that good here.

Staff- English VERY poor. No bar service on the beach or pool. You could sometimes shout for service but it's nice to be asked. There was no staff collecting rubbish so we had a mountain around us which wasn't very nice. Also, only once on my stay did I see any maintainance cleaning going on. In other hotels I've stayed in you see staff cleaning all the time and they are attentive offering drinks
and cleaning, taking empty glasses etc.

Just an overpriced hotel in my opinion, Rubbish location and poor beach and poor breakfast.

Trips overpriced in hotel. Tour shop over road knocked loads off a trip we was going to do through hotel, jungle trip with elephant trek all inclusive.got for
1100 baht each!

Mopeds over the road got for 2 weeks for 115 baht per day!!

Loved the island and very safe so we were off out on our mopeds most days but some days wanted to chill but couldn't here. Come to samui but not this hotel!!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Mediocre service. Requested for a room closer to the beach since we were travelling with an 18 month old. Got the room 3rd farthest!! Avoid the hillside rooms.

Good spread for breakfast. Offset some of the deficiencies.

Number of tourists come on cutrate packages from mytime in Australia. You may be able to negotiate better rates than internet rates.

• Stayed: July 2012