“Great location, good standard property with first class service”

Buri Rasa Village Samui
Ranked #2 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We stayed in the Buri Rasa village for 5 nights in December 2013. It is located between the centre and south end of Chaweng Beach but within easy walking distance of anything on Chaweng. Outside of the hotel is a taxi rank and across the road is the popular Ninja Crepes Thai restaurant, which is recommended if you want proper spicy Thai food.

The main downsides of this hotel are in fact beyond the control of the hotel. These problems are the construction noise at the hotel to the north and the pumping dance music all afternoon at the KC Beach Club to the south. Yes, this noise does exist. Yes, you can hear angle grinders operating after 9pm. Yes, the dance music is loud and does go on for long periods. In addition, whilst the hotel is not on the flight path of the airport you will still hear most planes, starting around 6.30am (I imagine this is the same for most hotels on Chaweng).

Do not under any circumstances let the above put you off the Buri Rasa Village: there are many five star, top dollar luxury hotels that could learn a lot from this place.

The hotel itself comprises a small number of individual villas with rooms available on the ground floor or first floor. There is a path which winds between the villas from the reception area, past the spa and pool to the beach.

Check-in was smooth and friendly, with refreshing towels given to us accompanied by a coconut juice drink. The first impression was that we were stepping into serenity from the busy main road. A member of staff accompanied us to our room and showed us around.

We stayed in the cheapest of the rooms. The bed was smaller than I anticipated, but this may be because we had stayed in other hotels on our trip and each had had a much larger one. It felt like a bed between UK double and king size. It was fairly soft and there was a selection of pillows which were also soft. The mattress was quite low down and was resting on a block of wood about a foot off the ground: some people may find it difficult to get in and out of bed but we had no problems.

The room also featured a chaise longue, a coffee table, a sideboard and a TV stand/desk housing the mini bar. Air con was provided by a remote control Samsung device mounted on the wall which worked very well indeed. There was also a walk-in wardrobe which contained complimentary umbrellas and also housed the safe. It's fair to say there was a bit of clutter in the room; mostly Buri Rasa paraphernalia. More surface space on the coffee table to actually put my things would have been beneficial.

Moving on to the bathroom, this was in effect a separate room to the bedroom and was almost the same size. The bathroom was open air, with a gauze of approximately 1 foot in height running the length of the top of one wall. It became quite humid and hot in there (and a touch sweaty/smelly at times). The room featured a modern rainfall shower, a wash stand and basin, toilet and a Thai style cold water shower, which was basically a water butt. Complimentary shower gel, shampoo and conditioner was in plentiful supply. The bathroom was all generally fine, although the cold water butt seemed pointless as I cannot imagine anyone actually using it, and the shower lacked a bit of hot water power but I am nit-picking.

The hotel pool is small and shallow: it would perhaps be better replaced by a large jacuzzi or something along those lines. Beach towels are collected from the beach bar area so they are fresh daily. The staff will deploy them on a sun lounger of your choice. We never had a problem getting a sun bed, and since they are owned by the hotel you don't pay anything to use them. There are some located on a decking area which steps down to the beach, and a few rows on the beach as well. We found that the ones on the decking were better as the beach sellers were not constantly hassling us and there was some shade available. If you want to bake in the sun all day, the beach is better.

We ate breakfast every day at the hotel and had one evening meal there. The staff are very attentive and serve with a smile. For breakfast, there is a buffet element which has fruit, cold meats, cheese, cereal, yoghurts, probiotic drinks and fruit juices. The mango smoothie is recommended. Then there is the pastry and bread selection, including a warmer which houses croissants, pains au chocolat and a rather nice apple strudel. There are also a few sections of Thai food; generally some kind of stir fry, curry and rice combination.

If you require a hot breakfast such as a full English or waffles/pancakes/etc, this is ordered from a menu and I found that it took about ten minutes to arrive. The plates were very well presented, with the various components spiced up with a bit of salt and pepper here and there. Some people may not like the way the hotel does this, because it prevents them going to a hot buffet and loading up on bacon/sausage, which I know a lot of fellow Englishmen like to do. On our last day I found it slightly annoying because I was rushing to get to the airport and had it been a standard hot buffet I could have been finished a lot sooner. Obviously I could have got up a bit earlier though.

Our evening meal was very nice and in a pleasant setting on a raised decked area leading to the beach. We ordered lamb and steak and both were delicious and presented in excellent fashion. The trance music at the hotel next door is generally turned down around 6pm so there is a possibility of a romantic meal here.

There are many nice touches at this hotel which made our stay more comfortable and memorable. The hotel serves a complimentary afternoon tea at 3pm every day, and during the day the staff regularly brought out little treats for us such as ice lollies or spicy chicken balls. Every day a small gift or treat was placed in our room in the evening, for example local toffees or coconut blancmange moulded into the shape of flowers. Each of these was accompanied by a personally hand written note from the manager, Michael.

On our final night, the reception telephoned us to inform us how soon in advance we needed to be at the airport and asked whether we needed a taxi arranging. We knew already but it was nice that they telephoned us. Checkout was fine with no nasty surprises. We informed reception that we would like a cab, and after we had completed checking out, concierge staff had already put our bags in a cab, negotiated a cheap price with the driver and one of the girls from reception came down the hotel steps to wave us off which we felt was a really nice personal touch.

We had no problem with creepy crawlies or mosquitoes: the hotel sprays down the public areas with a repellant regularly.

It is a very relaxing hotel and I will be honest: I did not want to leave. Yes there are a couple of noise issues but the positives more than make up for it. Everything was made easy and the hand-and-foot service was what you might only expect in hotels costing ten times the price of this one.

Without any doubt, if I was to return to Chaweng on Koh Samui, Buri Rasa Village would be my first choice of hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
BRVSamui, General Manager at Buri Rasa Village Samui, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Dear Philtheone,
Thank you very much for posting your recent experience here, I very much appreciate honest, constructive and helpful reviews like yours.
Your points are very well noted and yes, the construction next door as well as the 'beach club' on the other side are annoying indeed. Good news is that the construction will finish very soon and the so called 'beach club' on the right hand side will also be sorted out. Though both beyond our control, my apologies for this not so pleasant experience.
I have also taken note of many of your other valuable ideas/comments and rest assured that we will look into them and try to change/improve wherever possible.
Whenever you wish to return to Koh Samui and Buri Rasa Village, please be so kind and contact me directly as I will take care of your arrangements personally and ensure that your next stay will be an even more memorable one.
With best wishes for a peaceful festive season and a happy, healthy 2014, I remain,

Reviewed December 19, 2013

We had a great time at Buri Rasa Village in Samui. It is not a big hotel - 32 rooms, which we prefer. The location on Chaweng beach is great. The service was excellent and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel also has a very good restaurant. Some nice extra touches - tea and eats in the afternoon, and a different taste snack around the pool/beach at lunch.
We will definitely return.
Ivor Haarburger.
South Africa

Dear Ivor Haarburger,
Greetings from sunny Samui and thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.
We are very delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and would welcome the opportunity to have you back in the hopefully not too distant future.
Whenever your travel plans take you to this part of the world again, please do send me a quick note and I would be happy to handle your arrangements personally.
In the meantime, let me wish you and your friends and family a peaceful and happy festive season and a healthy 2014.
With sincere regards,

Reviewed December 15, 2013

i had expected more from my visit in Buri Rasa
positive : are the breakfast, the little attentions all along the day from the staff in your room, cleaness of the room
choice of different pillows
negative : impossible to escape on the mosquitos in the room & everywhere in the hotel
pool is very small and u cannot swim if 2 other persons join u in the pool; the pool is also black color !!! even u open your eyes u don't see anything & the sides of the pool look like sand paper & u are easily hurter when u touch the walls
many , many noise from the hotels from both sides of the hotel; the one is a discotheque hotel who give hard music since the morning & the other notes is under construction

Room Tip: beds are only queen size, so sad

Dear chris v,
Thank you for your recent review.
We have noted your comments and rest assured that we will take appropriate action wherever possible. Feedback like yours is much appreciated indeed.
Wishing you and your family and friends a peaceful festive season and a healthy, happy 2014.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We are on our last night at Buri Rasi. We have had a fabulous week here, the staff are so friendly and always give you a warm welcome. The hotel room was perfect just want we wanted. A few reviews mention the noise from next door. The music is a little loud from next door in the day but it did not affect us, you just blank it out after a while, you shouldn't let it stop you visiting. I'd would recommend this hotel to anyone. Thanks Buri Rasa for a fab week.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 14 we had a spa pool only used a couple of times but it was nice to have it.

Dear Katetom2013,
Greetings from sunny Koh Samui and thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.
I am very happy to learn that you have enjoyed your recent stay with despite the occasional disturbance from the next door 'beach club'. Rest assured that this issue will be sorted out very soon.
Whenever your travel plans take you back to Koh Samui, please do send me an email and I will be happy to arrange your next stay with us personally.
Wishing you, your family and friends a peaceful festive season coupled with best wishes for a successful, healthy and happy 2014, I remain,

Reviewed December 12, 2013

I stayed here recently with a group of friends and we all enjoyed our stay. All of the employees were extremely gracious during our stay and we couldn't have asked for more. They all knew who we were and always made sure we were happy. I will be returning in the future.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the rooms on the right side if you're looking at the beach. There is construction...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bradley T

Dear Bradley T,
Thank you for taking the time posting a review on Trip Advisor.
I very much appreciate that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that everything was to your satisfaction.
Whenever your travel plans take you back to this part of the world, please do contact me directly.
Sunny greetings to California with best wishes for a peaceful festive season and a happy, healthy 2014.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Stayed there with my partner for 4 nights. Service was excellent. Staff always ensure that you get picked up on time, help you make calls, arrange for transport and active in informing us of our check out time/time to travel to airport. They also speak decent English so communication is good.

Rooms were clean and well equipped. I love the pleasant pillow spray! The staff also made efforts to prevent guests from being bitten by mosquitoes, which was really very thoughtful of them. The hotel is situated on a busy street with lots of food and shopping, so walking around is easy.

Breakfast is provided. They provide a decent variety of food and the cooked section is different every day, which is really good. They also have a menu to order mains, which will then be prepared by the chef. Overall, food was good. However, the standards may be inconsistent as the banana pancake tasted different during the 2 times I ordered. The fruits and danish pastry is also not well covered so insects could be seen inside, given the rustic nature of the place. The staff also got our orders wrong on 3 out of the 4 mornings, or place them in the wrong plates (my order in my partner's plate). We didn't sound it out as we were flexible about it, as long as it is not too wrong.

It has its own access to the beach at the back. Deck chairs are all very well maintained and the whole area is very clean. It makes you feel very comfortable lying there in the sun. We spent some time at the deck and towels were quickly brought to us.

Overall, the experience was a pleasant one and I have to give credit to the whole team of staff, and the manager who trains them so well.

Dear minghui,
Thank you very much for taking the time posting a review on Tri Advisor.
I very much appreciate your valuable feedback and understand you had a comfortable stay with us. I do apologize for the mix up with your banana pancakes, we will brief the staff to be more careful in the future.
Whenever you plan to visit Koh Samui and Buri Rasa Village again, please do send me an email as I would be delighted to handle your booking personally.
Wishing you a great festive season and a happy, healthy 2014.
With sincere regards,

Reviewed December 8, 2013

My wife and I spent two nights here in the last week of November. WOW is all i can say. I have stayed in a lot of resorts around the world. But the quality of service at the Buri Rasa has just blown me away. From the check in to the little personal notes from house keeping to the personalised service on the beach .... It was perfect. A big thank you to Toto and Yui (i hope I got their names right) at the reception for having an answer to all my questions and I had many.
We stayed in the Room with the dip pool , the room was clean and the bathrooms also. the only thing I can add is that they could add a few channels to the satellite TV.
The food was good specially the breakfast. I really enjoyed the afternoon coffee and sandwiches.
I plan to come to Koh Samui again next year and there is no other hotel I am staying in.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
BRVSamui, General Manager at Buri Rasa Village Samui, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Dear kolbenring,
Greetings from Buri Rasa and thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor.
I am very pleased indeed that you a memorable stay with us and that everything was to your satisfaction. Feedback like yours is testimony that we are on the right track and also helps to boost the morale of all employees.
Please do not hesitate to contact me personally whenever you wish to return to Buri Rasa Samui or our sister property Buri Rasa Koh Phangan, as I would be delighted to handle your arrangements personally.
Wishing you a great festive season and a healthy and successful 2014!!!
Sincerely yours,